New Mattress for my Bed in Heads Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capthead

Guru
Vessel Name
Heads Up
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42 Classic
I have had two mattresses from Hand Craft Mattress already and didn't see the need to blow three boat units on another set. I have two twin bed boxes I have next to each other that makes a king. I have the only GB with a king that I know of.

Here's the problem. Getting a king size mattress into my aft cabin door means it has to fold in half. The last HCM I had was two twins with a king pillow top sewed onto it and I could fold it in half but it was a one sided mattress, innerspring too, and after the years, got old and I tossed it.

I had lots of quotes and decided to look at my futon guy, he makes innerspring mattresses that fold. He made me the box springs, they are high density foam, and the king on top.

I added a memory foam topper for that pillow top feeling and all that was only $620.00 OTD, not including the topper memory foam or the new comforter set the Admiral chose.

I'm very happy with the end result and wanted to pass this along. He is going to make my V Berth cushions, innerspring finished both sides so I can flip them too.

I have a very comfortable aft cabin now. :)

Attachments

• King Bed1.jpg
    King Bed1.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 217
  • King bed4.jpg
    King bed4.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 231
  • King bed2.jpg
    King bed2.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 222
  • King bed3.jpg
    King bed3.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 209
Hey Cap, how about contact info for your futon guy. Looks great, how is the comfort level? We also need to do this and your solution looks like a winner.
Bill

For anyone in the Northeast, Gardner Mattress makes excellent custom mattresses without the "Yacht" price tag. They will ship too, but it will obviously increase the cost. But still probably less than HCM.

HCM makes great mattresses and when I was a live aboard I thought I needed one. I was in the six figure income bracket too so blowing big bucks wasn't as big a deal as it is now.

The futon mattress with the memory foam top is really almost as good at less than 1/5 the price.

When I had sleep overs at my house and everybody wanted to know where I bought the futon, it's very comfortable. I became a fan.

Just find a futon mattress manufacturer and specify the most premium and you should be fine.

I have been using a queen size air mattress topped with a 2" cool pad for years now in my rv. It has to be the most comfortable setup I have had sans a waterbed.

There are small local mattress manufacturers in almost every city. They often supply local mattress stores trying to compete with the giant stores. They are generally more than willing to make whatever you want.

We've gone to purchasing from Selectabed.

Not been happy with regular mattress pads as I get older. May try an above option of futon and memory topper. Thanks for the idea.

Finally found mattress answer wow what a difference Comfortair pricey but took plung won't go back to anything else. The answer for back issues.

Like many mattresses I have had...Day one 5 star.....Day 365 well 2 star at best.

The test is how LONG they feel great at what costs.

Futon is great , but to function best it must be used as it was designed .

The Japanese roll their futon up every day which releases the cotton batting and allows it to re expand.

Thick 6inch very heavy urethane foam seems to be a simple (expensive) answer with a pillow top if desired.

If a twin mattress (54 wide) weighs about 40-60 lbs , you bought the right stuff

Last edited:
There are small local mattress manufacturers in almost every city. They often supply local mattress stores trying to compete with the giant stores. They are generally more than willing to make whatever you want. .

I was able to find one (manufacturer) a hundred miles from my home willing to make a pair of mattresses for my V berth. They are pretty complicated with curved and tapered sides and a cutout for climbing in but they are a great improvement over the original 4" seating foam. $1600.

I was able to find one (manufacturer) a hundred miles from my home willing to make a pair of mattresses for my V berth. They are pretty complicated with curved and tapered sides and a cutout for climbing in but they are a great improvement over the original 4" seating foam. $1600.

We ordered one special custom mattress once for our home and loved it so much that we've switched out all mattresses since then and used them for every boat mattress. Any size, any shape. Ours is not local and I'm sure we could find a better price locally, but they have us hooked on their work.

I've Used HMC in the past and plan on using them again to make mattresses
for my owner's and guest staterooms on my present boat. Why manufactures use crummy mattresses in boats that cost several hundred thousand dollars is beyond me.

HandCraft Mattress Company Yacht Mattress Showrooms |

We ordered one special custom mattress once for our home and loved it so much that we've switched out all mattresses since then and used them for every boat mattress. Any size, any shape. Ours is not local and I'm sure we could find a better price locally, but they have us hooked on their work.

My point was, my mattress (there two that fit to make the "V") could not be easily measured so I took them to the factory to be duplicated.

BTW: When I got the old ones back after they had been cut apart I was astonished at the mold inside. I had thought I might have had a use for the foam but it had to go into the trash as soon as I took it out of the bags.

"they are a great improvement over the original 4" seating foam."

This is a very good point. Seating foam needs to be very hard , sleeping foam far softer.

These are two very DIFFERENT requirements , chose only what is required , "dual purpose" is a folly.

4" Seating foam is OK for a night or two, especially for a bunk that has to be converted to seating use. It's not satisfactory for weeks at a time, especially as one gets older.

I tried foam toppers but they didn't help much and just got bunched up.

Has anyone tried the Ikea Latex mattresses ? Relatively cost effective and usually they come rolled up so easy to carry and get downstairs.

Certainly not worth buying the cheapest foam ones except for a bed someone might sleep on for 1 night occasionally. I have been very happy with my Ikea latex mattress and mine was about $600 for a queen size. I personally cant stand box springs.

Always provide a mattress support that allows it to breath. Not a solid plywood surface. There are latices which can be mounted above plywood.

Has anyone tried the Ikea Latex mattresses ? Relatively cost effective and usually they come rolled up so easy to carry and get downstairs.

Certainly not worth buying the cheapest foam ones except for a bed someone might sleep on for 1 night occasionally. I have been very happy with my Ikea latex mattress and mine was about $600 for a queen size. I personally cant stand box springs.

Always provide a mattress support that allows it to breath. Not a solid plywood surface. There are latices which can be mounted above plywood.

Wolfcreek, welcome to the forum!

Ted

Just food for though. We replaced our fitted mattress with a full size Queen Select Comfort mattress. It is a two chamber with wireless remote control and the upgrade pillow top cover. It's dimension were close enough to the births irregular shape that it conformed when inflated. I installed the air compressor unit in the storage area under the bed. The wife has her setting and I have my.

Some of the major advantages for us were the ease of getting it into the cabin. It comes in many pieces and has to be assembled in place. When assembled, it is still very light. It is very easy to lift when we need to get into the storage area under it.

Last year I had a port light leak water onto the mattress and of course it left a stain. I disassemble the whole thing and brought the cover home. I soaked it in a tank with beach until the stain was gone, washed it with laundry detergent and hung it to dry for a couple of days.

These mattresses can be pretty expensive new. I found ours in near new condition on Craig's List for $200. Replacement parts are easy to come by.

Just another option.

Bob

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom