Best Varnish Remover?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taras

Vessel Make
Currently Boatless
Hi All,
What is the best varnish remover that any of you have used.*** What seems to work best for "interior" applications?**

Thanks for any suggestions!

A heat gun and scrapers. This ensures that you get the varnish off without removing any wood. My wife has become a veritable artist with a Makita heat gun. When we need to remove a bright finish like varnish, she's the one who does it. Much better at it than I am.

Any of them.* The key is to cover the wet film with saran wrap, leave it on for awhile, then scrape.* Paint remover is highly volatile and outgasses too quickly to fully do the job.* The saran wrap prevents this.

Heat gun works too, with the key word being WORK.

If you use a heat gun, be careful you don't burn the wood. Start on an area that doesn't show till you get a feel for it.

Another heat gun caution, is to not overheat window trim - the glass can crack.

Marin wrote:

A heat gun and scrapers. This ensures that you get the varnish off without removing any wood. My wife has become a veritable artist with a Makita heat gun. When we need to remove a bright finish like varnish, she's the one who does it. Much better at it than I am.
How clever of you to convince Ruth that she was a better heat gun operator. Somehow, I need to convince Dorothy that she is the better cook.*
no.gif

I use the cheapest stripper (chemical type) I can find and a razor sharp scraper. Let the stripper work for about 10 minutes before scraping. Sharpen often.

Rob
37' Sedan

Jay N wrote:

Another heat gun caution, is to not overheat window trim - the glass can crack.
Very true, and gelcoat can be damaged or discolored.* My wife has a series of "heat sinks" (pieces of laminate) in various shapes and sizes that she tapes, hangs, or holds in place to protect adjacent surfaces.

Thank you all for the great suggestions.
I never would have thought of putting Saran Wrap over the remover.
Great ideas!* What a excellent resource for information.
Steve

On my last sailboat, I stripped all of the varnish. I tried chemicals and heat. I had the best results by far with heat.
On my present boat, I haven't removed much varnish, preferring to spot repair and keep the finish up. That approach seems to work, as I get constant praise for the condition of the varnish, despite leaving it, except for attention to spots, a lot longer between coats than I ever used to. Part of the reduced schedule has to do with choosing the right varnish, as has been discussed in other threads.

Taras, one more thing I have found critical is to use a back scraper, whatever method you use for softening the varnish.* You pull a back scraper rather than push it, which is critical to avoid gouging wood or for working odd shapes.* Good luck!

I used a heat gun for years; it would take hours to strip the teak. But recently I used a gel paint remover called "Dads" to strip my sundeck. I tell you, it went faster than I could have imagined and cleaned up real nicely.

Delfin,
Back scraper!* Excellent point.
Thank you,
Taras

Just don't confuse it with a back scratcher.* Totally different technology solution.

the Eagle*has more teak than several boats combined.* i use the heat gun with a wet vac to get the majority of then orbital sand with 80 grit to get the rest off.* Takes about one hour to do do a 10 to 20 ft sections.* The trick to bright work is not doing to big of a section at a time and do the poorest/worst sections first.*

Just a quick hijack of the thread- I have several small doors with small brass hinges on the flybridge that I need to refinish in the spring. I have remove the small brass screws to remove a few doors on other parts of the boat and it is a PITA to get theses hinge screws out.
I was looking today and I see where the hinge "pin" is mushroomed on the top and bottom. Is seems to me I might be able to take a Dremmel tool and grind the lower mushroom off of the pin and then use a small pin punch and hammer to drive out the pin- elimenating the work of removing these screws. Has anyone done this- or found another simpler way to remove the doors?

This is what my wife is achieving with just the black scraper and the heatgun .... I am sanding after it with a 80 grid ..... than I will sand it with 240 ..... She is good !!! and she is a good cook too ! *I am lucky am I not?

Attachments

• dsc01863.jpg
    dsc01863.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 235
You shouldn't jump grit sizes that far. You'll just smooth off the top and leave the 80 grit gouges. I go from 80 to 120 to 180, and varnish then. Sometimes to 220.

What Keith reccommends! Then build up with successive coats of varish, sanding with successively finer paper. i am up to 320 to 400 grit on my rails now, after building up to 10 or 15 coats, and the results are stunning.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom