Where Have All The Smaller Trawlers Gone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We lived on Bay Pelican continuously for 14 months and now do so for four to five months a year. At 42 feet she is sufficient and comfortable. We found we are limited, however, to only 35 guests for a cocktail party at anchor. ...

Sheesh, I doubt I can come up with 35 different persons I'd like to associate with.

(At the Pittsburg Marina, for a refueling get-together with other TFers.)

Last edited:
Wifey B:

See post 56...
Just a little excerpt....:D

Good one WifeyB. The thread needed that. This "what's a small boat, what's a large boat", and who makes what, thread could go on forever, as to what is small, and what is big.

All I know is mine, is MIDDLE SIZED, so there... :D

Last edited:
We lived on Bay Pelican continuously for 14 months and now do so for four to five months a year. At 42 feet she is sufficient and comfortable. We found we are limited, however, to only 35 guests for a cocktail party at anchor.

For every benefit I can think of with a larger boat I can think of a downside. I concede that someone who has lived on a 48 foot boat may have the same thoughts.

If I was on Bay Pelican and 35 guests, it would soon be down to 34 as I'd leap into the water for sure. That's too many people for me. Panic would definitely set in.

And if Bay Pelican was 142' instead of 42' I'd feel the same.

Last edited:
The bigger boat does typically allow you to cruise in bigger water. That may or may not be a concern for some.

Not always so in my experience. A lot depends on the boats design. In Four to six foot seas I would rather be in a 32 ft low center of gravity lobster type than a three story high sided boxy trawler particularly if there were no stabilizers involved in the equation. Put stabilizers on the big boat then match it to the lobster boat with gyro stabilization and I think the little boat wins again. While boats like the lobster type are not meant to cross oceans the owners of most big boxy trawlers are also not crossing big open water and perhaps ocean hopping boats should be considered in a separate category. I have cruised the PNW and a good part of the east coast and a well found 30 footer can go anywhere a 50+ footer can and usually both travel in the same weather and lay over similarly when needed.

Last edited:
...This model runs into trouble when they stop building the smallerTed models where younger consumers start.

Ted

Ted and Marin are right on in my opinion.

Taken to the end, we'd end up with only the largest boats being made.

The market is changing and only those who understand that now will survive.

The visionaries who started these companies are almost all gone, replaced by place holders who seldom have the same vision.

Thus more and more companies chasing the same fewer and fewer customers.

The survivors will figure out new markets as to sustain a model line that appeals to many.

Toyota offers a large two door Land Rover, SUV, as it's smaller. it would never sell in USA, but they understand that they must also keep the smaller line.

Europe and Asia is where the future growth will come in true efficient small trawlers, as that's where the need is.

With high fuel costs, many more Europeans don't cruise at all.

The market for small, efficient boats is still there for those who know to look.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20151225_082157.jpg
    ForumRunner_20151225_082157.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
"For coastal stuff the bigger boat just has less weather down time."

Perhaps but for most coastal cruising a 25-30 IO will fit the bill and most do have a 400% speed advantage over the usual trawlery type boat .

25 mph is easy to obtain with no outrageous fuel bill.

25mph in a 40-50 ft vessel is pricey indeed.

Different types of people gravitate to different types of boats and styles of boating. Most of my marina neighbors have 30' sport cruisers (Sea Ray, Bayliner, etc.) and they are happy with them. Most are younger, still working and can't take off a month or two a couple times a year to cruise.

My wife and I are retired and enjoy the journey as much as the destination so 7 knots at <2 GPH suits us just fine.

Your mileage may vary.

Late 1950's to very early 60's on dad's 4 week vacations we more than once cruised New England coast (NY to Boston) in a real quick, well outfitted 1948 23' Chris Craft Express cabin cruiser. That was parents and three small boys. Memories to last a lifetime! We all loved it; eventually grew into larger boats... :dance:

Very Merry Christmas 2015 :thumb: :D - Art

Art,
Do you remember the 21' Bryants w twin Johnsonrude 35's and then 40's?
I had a 17 w a single 35 Johnson. Had a cuddy cabin and I took a 7 day trip .. SanJuans, Gulf Is and Vancouver w a run up to Pit River/Lake. Great trip.

In the late 1920's a young woman named Muriel Wylie Blanchet with her five children and the family dog cruised the lower BC coast for several summers in a 25' cabin cruiser. The dog rode in the dinghy towed behnd them. They had adventures some of which aren't even possible to have today.

These are the same waters some people wouldn't think of venturing into in anything less than a 42 to 52 foot boat today.

We read her book long before we decided to try this kind of cruising. When we decided to give it a shot we talked for a long time about what boat would be ideal. The first decision was size. We realized that size is the determining factor in all sorts of things from initial cost to on-board accomodations to moorage and the ongoing cost of ownership.

For two of us, a 40-50 pound dog, and an occasional pair of friends we decided that a boat in the mid-30' range would let us do everything we wanted to do from the San Juan Islands up into SE Alaska if we wanted to go that far although the BC coast has always been our primary objective in boating.

We also decided that we would be doing this kind of boating for at least 30 years so whatever boat we got would need to meet our needs for that long. We have many other interests here and in Europe so were/are not interested in hopping from boat to boat over this period.

When we started getting serious about a cruising boat our first choice was the 37' Lord Nelson Victory Tug. It is still a favorite for us. But at the time (late 1990s) they were still pretty expensive, even used. Plus the older, less expensive ones use an engine we didn't want any part of. So we started thinking about a runner up.

After talking to good friends in the boat/yacht industry we decided a 36' tri-cabin cruiser would suit our requirements. We chartered one to see if we liked it and the cruising scene in general, decided we did, and bought an old one of the same make and model that didn't tap our budget to the point of having to give up any other activity, and we're still using it going on 18 years later.

At one point we thought a larger model of the same make would be nice and we came pretty close to buying a 46-footer. But then we thought real seriously about it and came to several conclusions. One, having owned and maintained our 36-footer for a few years by then, while we enjoy workng on it, even the teak decks and brightwork, we don't want to maintain one more inch of boat.

Two, given all our other interests and their ever-increasing costs of we don't want to pay any more for moorage and insurance than we are now (knowing moorage costs will always creep up no matter what).

Three, the cabin cruiser we have now will take more than we're willing to in terms of weather and water conditions in this region so a bigger boat wouldn't gain us anything in that regard. We're never going to cruise to Hawaii, for example, if for no other reason than I grew up and started my working career there and if I ever go back again before I die it will be too soon. With regards to open ocean boating, been there, done that, got the T-shirt so an inside waters boat is all we'll ever need here.

I don't know if a 36' recreational boat is considered small, medium or large these days. It was "large" when it was built but that was back in 1973. But it's eleven feet longer than Muriel Blanchet's boat and she did things in these same waters we'll never be able or have the time to do.

The photo is the boat Muriel and her kids and dog used to explore the BC coast.

The (dwindling) affluent segment of society in this country can believe it neds the biggest and best boat possible to do anything on the water, and the manufacturers can try to capture this (dwindling) market with ever-larger and more expensive boats. But the truth is that these kinds of boats are not necessary for what at least 90 percent of the market is going to do with them.

And as the oncoming, less-affluent and less "possession-driven" generations start dominating the market for everything I suspect that if they develop an interest in cruising at all (instead of simply doing it virtually on their phones) they will look to using smaller, cheaper, less-costly to own and operate boats. If this market becomes large enough, this will spawn a new kind of boat and a new kind of boat builder.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Wifey B: I haven't heard anything in this thread yet convincing me anything is gone and ,if it is, what it is, and, if it left, where it went or what the h... we're even talking about. I have heard a ton of generalizations too using words like small and big and big can't do this and small can't do this and whoa.....:banghead:

You, I and Al appear to be the only "Small" boat owners here...
Me too :)

Seven summers on our C-Dory 22 Cruiser, and seventeen so far on our 26' Bounty.
Not so spacious, but plenty of adventure. And we trailer to wherever we wish to launch.

BTW, we thought New Moon was pretty expensive 17 years ago, but now a comparable boat might cost $200K new.

Last edited:
Wifey B: I haven't heard anything in this thread yet convincing me anything is gone and ,if it is, what it is, and, if it left, where it went or what the h... we're even talking about. I have heard a ton of generalizations too using words like small and big and big can't do this and small can't do this and whoa.....:banghead:
One assumes there is a normal attrition to boats. All manner of things happen to them that end there existence. If there is adequate production of new in that size, most don't seam to notice the loss of older boats. Clearly there seem to be a smaller percentage of these types of boats in the <35' size being made compared to 10 to 50 years ago.

Ted

One assumes there is a normal attrition to boats. All manner of things happen to them that end there existence. If there is adequate production of new in that size, most don't seam to notice the loss of older boats. Clearly there seem to be a smaller percentage of these types of boats in the <35' size being made compared to 10 to 50 years ago.

Ted

Boats under 35'? Of these types? Not sure what these types are but lets suggest it's cruising boats. Now, first, can't compare 2009-15 to 2000-2008 on any type and size of boat as the market crashed and has since slowly been recovering but not to those previous levels. As to "these types", whatever that means, there are many choices in under 35'. That market has always been dominated by production builders and always will be. Sea Ray is number one, Bayliner number two. Outboards are way up, stern drives down.

I've tried to look in the broad definition of trawlers, just doing a yacht world search and look at the popular brands. Albin is still building in that range. Mainship still building. Sea Ray cannot be ignored as the Sundancer's outsell all other boats in that range. Carver still has a 34 and 37. Ranger Tugs, American Tugs, Nordic Tugs, Diesel Duck. Beneteau is new to that range and sells more volume than the vast majority of boats previously in that range. Meridian still builds in place of Bayliner.

Grand Banks was once huge in that market but they've long ago been gone from it, not just in the last ten years. Since we're now talking <35', that excludes KK. Halvorsen does now only offer a 44'.

One shift that is definitely seen in under 35' is the shift to Center Console that is a huge growth market due to the larger outboard motors available now. World Cat is doing well with their Glacier Bay series. They didn't even start until 1986 and they're the largest manufacturer of power catamarans. I have a friend who just chose a new Glacier Bay vs. an older Albin as he was getting tired of looking at older Albin's (which is what he had his heart set on) only to be disappointed in their condition. For a 27' multi-use cruising boat the Glacier Bay is very functional and very inexpensive comparatively. A comparable boat in an inboard would cost far more.

What I see missing is tons of boats where someone made a deal with a Chinese factory to make a few to order, there was no "builder" as such, just a "procurer" getting them built and often not in the same factory.

I am still missing the point of what is missing? Are we upset because they don't go as slow? If we're talking late model used boats, there's a shortage in all as you weren't building many boats from 2009-12. If we're talking volume of boats I don't see the change being discussed. If we're talking number of brands, perhaps I see it as there aren't as many of the 1 or 2 boats a year builders on every street corner. Most of the small custom builders are in SF. That's why my wife is beating her head against the wall as we're both really just trying to understand what we're saying is missing. There was a statement made regarding the ongoing trend of builders not offering their smaller sizes but I see more of that in the 40-70' range, not under 35'. The title is where have all the smaller trawlers gone and the OP hasn't said what they mean by that, which smaller trawlers, and it's being followed as if something is gone and for those relatively new to coastal boating, but having done lots of research, I remain confused.

What is it you're looking for and can't find? And don't throw price out. That's an entirely different question.

From a ozz prospective to small craft this 2004 35' is for sale at $@ 198000:eek: to have a new one build would be $270000:eek::eek: and a nice 2002 twin screw Mainship 39 go for $180000? So there's the answer to Australian boat building it gone finished dead in the water
0_3.jpg

What is it you're looking for and can't find? And don't throw price out. That's an entirely different question.
That is the point. If more than the top 1% are going to be able to buy a new <35' family cruiser (Grand Banks, Mainship, Marine Trader, Albin,etc), some manufacturers need to offer the entry level boat. Seems to me most are building to Two Incomes No Children and not the modest family cruiser.

Ted

That is the point. If more than the top 1% are going to be able to buy a new <35' family cruiser (Grand Banks, Mainship, Marine Trader, Albin,etc), some manufacturers need to offer the entry level boat. Seems to me most are building to Two Incomes No Children and not the modest family cruiser.

Ted

But then that's a different point and it doesn't seem to me that anyone ever built to the modest income family cruiser. Mainship, Bayliner might have come the closest. That market really though is and has been used boats and family boats like Sea Ray or Carver. Or a boat like the Glacier Bay I mentioned. It's a 27' for $150-160k. You never saw young modest income families buying new Grand Banks. That's one reason their new sales always skewed so far upward in age. The younger buyer was buying a runabout or a small cruiser of some sort if their income was a bit higher. When I was 30 years old I couldn't afford to buy the boats you're talking about new. I wasn't going to/couldn't spend my entire life savings on a down payment to have a $5,000 or more monthly payment. I had a 25' runabout. Even a 28' Sea Ray Sundancer was out of my range.

Bay Pelican was sold when new for $85,000 US. The cost of living (CPI) from 1985 to 2015 has increased by 220% so in 2015 dollars the price is $187,000. You cannot even buy the 30 year old Bay Pelican for $187,000 much less an equivalent 2015 build.

At the inflated prices of today's builds fewer people can buy a new build, and those that can seem to go for larger boats.

But then that's a different point and it doesn't seem to me that anyone ever built to the modest income family cruiser. Mainship, Bayliner might have come the closest. That market really though is and has been used boats and family boats like Sea Ray or Carver. Or a boat like the Glacier Bay I mentioned. It's a 27' for $150-160k. You never saw young modest income families buying new Grand Banks. That's one reason their new sales always skewed so far upward in age. The younger buyer was buying a runabout or a small cruiser of some sort if their income was a bit higher. When I was 30 years old I couldn't afford to buy the boats you're talking about new. I wasn't going to/couldn't spend my entire life savings on a down payment to have a $5,000 or more monthly payment. I had a 25' runabout. Even a 28' Sea Ray Sundancer was out of my range.
B, referencing Bay Pelicans post, in 1985 $85K bought you a better 42' trawler. A 35' Marine Trader maybe $40K to $50K? Adjusted for inflation today $90K to $110K? That $40K to $50K was probably in reach of the top 10% or more. Now I get that we're not going to see a 35' for $110K. But you shouldn't have to spend $300K for a 35' boat because it's fancy as opposed to family friendly. Just my $ .02 worth.

Ted

B, referencing Bay Pelicans post, in 1985 $85K bought you a better 42' trawler. A 35' Marine Trader maybe $40K to $50K? Adjusted for inflation today $90K to $110K? That $40K to $50K was probably in reach of the top 10% or more. Now I get that we're not going to see a 35' for $110K. But you shouldn't have to spend $300K for a 35' boat because it's fancy as opposed to family friendly. Just my $ .02 worth.

Ted

I am not arguing that pricing has changed. The materials of a boat have risen in cost much faster than general inflation.

But that brings us to the issue not that anyone has stopped building boats but that they are not as affordable. I don't think either that anyone would argue the buying power of the middle class has decreased in these years. Please let's not discuss the politics, just that it has.

I did not know the cost of a KK 42 new in 1985. Initially I'm surprised at the price but then it hit me. The inflation rate in China, especially in Manufacturing, and the changes in exchange rate over those years would play a big role. I don't have the information handy to actually look at that.

Note: I'm not arguing over what Bay Pelican might have paid in 1985, but the list price of a KK 42 in 1985 was not $85k, it was $176k for the base boat. It was over $200k with normal add-ons. Still it's far more today than $440k as it's in the $1 Million range for a 44.

If the cost is what the OP was referring to then it makes sense. However, stating that people have stopped building the boats is what I was having a hard time grasping.

I will point out too that the price of cars has increased much more than inflation in the same period. From 1980 to 2013 the average cost of a new car increased 335%.

That's one cautionary thing I've learned over the years about inflation. The general rate of inflation isn't what impacts most of us, it's the rate of increase on the things we use most.

Last edited:
Note: I'm not arguing over what Bay Pelican might have paid in 1985, but the list price of a KK 42 in 1985 was not $85k, it was $176k for the base boat. It was over $200k with normal add-ons. Still it's far more today than $440k as it's in the $1 Million range for a 44.

Perhaps my memory is playing tricks after all these years, but I do remember having somewhere the original sales receipt for the Bay Pelican (then Slow Flight). After 17 years my records are voluminous and I am short of time before leaving so a search for the sales receipt will have to wait until I return from our boating season.

Perhaps my memory is playing tricks after all these years, but I do remember having somewhere the original sales receipt for the Bay Pelican (then Slow Flight). After 17 years my records are voluminous and I am short of time before leaving so a search for the sales receipt will have to wait until I return from our boating season.

You may have gotten an exceptional deal. I was looking at NADA. It may also be wrong. Your point is valid either way, in that the increase in the price of a KK far exceeds the general rate of inflation.

I believe BandB is correct. I had a 1985 24' Wellcraft with a Merc stern drive and found the original bill of sale to the original owner. It was $65,000. You certainly wouldn't get a new 42' KK for only $20,000 more.

B, let me go at this another way. I owned a 1971 Datsun 1200. Have no idea what it originally cost. It was a 2 door compact economy car. It filled the same niche as the VW Bug. Simple economy starter car. Had no frills, no options, and No AC. :eek: It was a new car that most could afford. From there most would want something better and as finances would allow, they would move up. I used it into the late 80's as a commuter car to save money. These days you can still buy an economy starter car. It has more luxury (now necessities) items like AC, and a load of government requirements like air bags, but still at a price that most can afford. Some car manufacturers recognize the need (market) for this type of car. My guess is that it's also the spring board for satisfied customers to buy a nicer car from the same manufacturer. Certainly, Datsun (now Nissan), Toyota, Honda, and Subaru entered the American car market and developed a following starting this way.

Another comparable area is the RV industry. While there are manufactures making 6 and 7 figure RVs (maybe motor homes), there are still companies producing the starter family RVs.

It seems to me that the boating industry has lost track of the economy starter weekend family cruiser. Don't think it's a good business model to tell the young family (that can afford to buy new cars) at the boat show, that a weekend and vacation family cruisers isn't in their income range, go buy used. Maybe they will decide to go to next weeks RV show and find an industry that wants to market to them.

Ted

For an FRP resin rich vessel look no further than the price of three things to see why boat prices have moved up faster than government reported inflation:

.. The price of oil
.. Wages in Taiwan
.. Real estate prices on the Southeastern US coast.

All three have risen quite disproportionately to US government calculated inflation and play a big role in boat building costs. Throw in a few environmental factors for things like expensive engines and air emissions for mold release agents and the affluent related terms like YACHT, 1%ers and free cash creep into a discussion like this.

Like carriage houses and maid quarters, some things like new boats and Teslas remain out of reach for the masses. BTW, if one really wants to squawk, look at the price of a new Cessna vs say 40 years ago.

It seems to me that the boating industry has lost track of the economy starter weekend family cruiser. Don't think it's a good business model to tell the young family (that can afford to buy new cars) at the boat show, that a weekend and vacation family cruisers isn't in their income range, go buy used.

Ted

I don't think the industry has. That's why there are so many Sea Rays, Chaparrals, Four Winns, Scouts, Everglades, Whalers. Those are the boats that they can build for the weekend family cruiser. That cruiser doesn't want a trawler to start with as they don't have the time for the lack of speed. Sea Ray 260 Sundancer $75k-100k. Sea Ray 280 Sundancer $110k-140k. Sea Ray 310 Sundancer $150k-175k. That's exactly who those boats target. Now, they're still out of the range of a large part of the young couples starting families so they get a 21' runabout for the price of a car.

Trawlers were never the starter boat for young people. Here are all the boats I owned before 2012 and my move to Florida. 17' Sea Ray Bowrider. Comparable boat, say an 18' Chaparral today is $23k. 22' Sea Ray Pachanga, $40k boat today. 24' Searay Bowrider, $50-60k today. 26' Cobalt $75k today. 30' Cobalt $175k today.

Glastron has a 26' Cruiser you can buy for $60k or a 29' Cruiser you can buy for $75k. Those are the starter kits today, the Bayliner's. Larson has a 27' Mid Cabin for $85k-90k. They have a 29' for $100k and a 31' for $140k.

I think those here on this forum don't really see the entire market sometimes. It's like Yacht owners who see nothing under $10 million. Trawler owners see the trawler type market. It was never the boat for the average young family. Yes, I know people who have always had Grand Banks, bought new, from the day their oldest daughter was 3. But they were the exception. He owned a large accounting practice. His wife was a lawyer. In the last 25 years they've owned 5 Grand Banks. They feel helpless now as they would normally trade in a year or two for a new Grand Banks, and GB as they've known it, will be no more by then.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom