Thread: Propane Locker
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2015, 12:02 PM   #150
boatpoker
Guru

City: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
Really off subject, but I recall "trying" to drink mikky'd coffee back in the day. That stuff was dangerous. And they were sued multiple times and ordered to lower the temp. They did not comply. They are now in compliance. As to marine surveyors, my opinion (from personall experience, first hand, $$$ outa my pocket) is that they are incompitent, all of them that I know anyway, and apparently most other knowledgeable boat owners feel the same way. I understand the insurers desire to know what they are assuring, it only makes good business sense. EXCEPT that they have this army of (add descriptive expletive) trying to tell them if the boat in ? is a good risk. Knowing this, and the fact that I'm paying, suggests to me that I get what I want. I have been "written up" a time or 2 for minor things that ended up being major expenses to satisfy the insurer. Now I just tell my guy what I want, over the phone during the initial contact. I suppose if he doesnt want to do it my way he can opt out. They never do. And, I normally have to tell them what they are looking at, what it does, etc. Then, I want to see the finished survey befor I approve it. They always have mistakes, usually from plain ignorance or lack of knowledge. The last fellow called my planing hull sportfisher a "full displacement hull" in his report. After fixing that his survey was submitted, and he recieved favorable remarks from the insurer. He was happy, I was happy, insurer was happy. I like that pattern.
A few times a year I do get requests for survey from people with an opinion similar to yours. My response has been consistent over the decades .....
"Sorry I'm booked for the forseeable future".
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote