View Single Post
Old 12-24-2015, 06:50 AM   #133
boatpoker
Guru

City: Here
[QUOTE=catalinajack;398313]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post

"I've been in this business for a long time and have never told anyone that ABYC Standards were absolute or mandatory. Neither have I known another surveyor who made such a claim and I know hundreds of them."

Never said you did. Just made the statement that "absolutes" are wrong. I think that most folks here would agree that some surveyors use the ABYC recommendations as a "crutch". And, yes, some do say "see here, it says right here, you are not in compliance". You don't. Good on you. You know hundreds of surveyors? So what. Have you read all of their surveys? Look, some surveyors hurt us with thier lousy, ignorant surveys. The problem for boat owners is that we CANNOT rely on the fact that a particular surveyor is a member of a professional orgnization. And isn't that just the point that is being made by others here? And why are you being so darn defensive about all this? You are a good surveyor. Ackowledged, by assumption. You are among the few and far between. Own it.

No, I have not read all their surveys and never said I did (although I've read a couple of thousand and have several hundred of others reports in my files). As stated on my website a "credential" of any kind does not ensure a good survey. Like any other endeavour the buyer must perform due diligence before hiring anyone. If you hire a lousy plumber or lousy surveyor, you have to own that.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote