Old 12-23-2015, 06:39 AM   #21
catalinajack
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar View Post
I would be hesitant to piss off a war ship, regardless of nationality. That's like bringing a knife to a gun fight.
On my son's first Naval deployment (2005 or thereabout) on a frigate patroling for drug runners off the west coast of Central America, they interdicted a number of the open 40-foot open boats that were commony used at that time. Generally, they were equipped with three high horsepower outboards. A helicopter was used to chase down these vessels, forced them (.50 cal across the bow) to heave to, then a RIB manned by Coasties carrying a boarding party made an arrest. The cocaine was off-loaded and the boat sunk. In one instance, the drug runners refused to stop. That did not last long. A sniper aboard the helicopter took out the outboards setting the boat and its occupants on fire. Overboard they jumped. The entire incident was captured on video. Unfortunately, I misplaced the DVD that my son gave to me. At the end of that deployment, the ship came home with15 tons of cocaine.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote