View Single Post
Old 12-22-2015, 10:39 AM   #15
rwidman
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Long View Post
There appears to have been a change on the FL Boat Registration website. It's been a few years now since I looked so perhaps I should re-checked before posting. It now says in the FAQ:

The word "state" no longer appears. My vessel has a valid number and registration certificate issued by the Federal Government. There is nothing in the FAQ about documented vessels.

We have no plans to spend more than 90 days in FL so I think we are good to go. I will print both the SC registration website and the FL registration FAQ and, in case of boarding, ask the officer to show me where it says I can't cruise in the state for a period up to 90 days.
That change appears to be good news for us SC boaters. Of course it's still a bit vague and might leave it up to us to prove we are in the right and not up to them to prove we are wrong.

As close as SC is to FL, there must be hundreds of SC boats visiting FL each year, many of the documented, not registered. Maybe this situation came up and that's why the wording was changed.

I wonder what they do to boats from other countries?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote