Mango Mama delivery track

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GarryP

Vessel Name
Mango Mama
Vessel Make
Krogen Manatee 36
We're having Mango Mama delivered from Mandeville, LA, on Lake Pontchartrain, to Bradenton, FL. I found the delivery skipper, Capt. Jeff Lewis, among a number of other apparently qualified skippers in a directory on BoatUS.*Jeff's crew is*his father, both retired from the Coast Guard. Captain jeff's website is www.OnWatchYachtDelivery.com.

The next couple of days may be rough weather. Fortunately, they're in fairly protected waters. The jump across the Big Bend area in open water should have settled wather.

If anyone is interested in following the track, Jeff reports his position frequently using the Spot Messenger device. You can see the track at:
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0pmBzXKinDhgKpLRvqq8VUCrbr9VSkRpL

Really, really excited for you, Gary. *Love to see those faces when your baby finally pulls up to the dock. *Maybe you could get a shot of that and post here. *This is a big, big moment for you. *Sincere congrats.

Thanks. We're excited. It sure seems strange to get the boat ready for a big trip so that someone else can drive it! I hope to spend some time on the boat later when the weatherr is better instead of spending the time off work now.

Gary: *Is the Captain going to make the jump across the Gulf, or stay with the Big Bend? *I suppose the boat is shallow enough to do the bend with no problem, keeping an eye on the tide, etc..

Looks like the weather will cooperate and he will leave from Appalachicola Friday afternoon. If the weather holds he will continue offshore to Tampa Bay. If it deteriorates, he likely make it to Anclote River and take the ICW from there.

Means I'll have to take the laptop to bed & check on MM during the night & V will see her new boat on Sat. Congrats!

Oh how I wish that were us headed to FL.

Pardon my ignorance ,what is exactly is the 'big bend? & how shallow is it that a boat that probably draws no more than 4 1/2 feet should be concerned.

The Big Bend in Florida is the arch of coastline between the west coast and the panhandle. The land side is mostly marshland and sparsely populated. There is no ICW, the Gulf ICW stops at Appalachicola. Most of the coast line is very shallow miles out from shore. There are only a few places with enough depth for a boat of any size to approach shore.*

According to the guides I've seen, it can be crossed by displacement trawlers in 60-70 mile day treks with a stop in Steinhatchee River. Or as many do and Mango Mama is doing, it can be crossed overnight in 30-36 hours. In the winter, an overnight trip on the Gulf can be risky. We are thankful for the calm weather as Mango Mama makes the crossing tonight (Jan. 28, 2011).

Good luck with the delivery, I hope someone is keeping a photo record. I would love to see some pictures of the area (and your boat).

If possible please post what actual conditions were and the hours the crossing took place. I would like to check the accuracy of the forecast. I have done the "crossing' 5 times, 4 in good conditions once in 3-4 seas which didn't seem at all dangerous but was quite uncomfortable and bumpy. I plan to make the trip the second week of March, Southbound. Apalachicola Gov't cut to Anclote overnight.
Steve W.

Wow, amazing time.

I'm not sure of the distance but I approximated it on Google Maps at 240 miles from the dock in Appalachicola to the slip in Twin Dolphin Marina. Mango Mama is on track to make it in 25 hours. That 10-15 mile NW wind must have really helped.

GarryP, bring us up to date on how the crossing was and how the entrance to the Manatee River was in the NW wind.* It's a great trip.* Twin Dolphins is a great place to stay.

First, I overestimated the distance, it was 162 miles (nautical miles, I think) dock to dock. The delivery skipper said things were a little rolly at first but the wind and sea died down in the evening so the rest of the trip was smooth.

No problems although I noted that the shaft packing was leaking pretty good and there was a layer of salt on the rear of the engine and other parts in the area. The shaft lust have been slinging it pretty good. Another reason to change to a dripless design.

We're still pleased with the boat although I'm disappointed in some of the cheap fixtures and low class work the previous owner did. Par for the course. Lots of compliments from our new dock neighbors.

Another limitation. The step through to the aft deck can't be reached from the finger pier when bow in so we're tied stern-to now. We're going to ask the dockmaster if we can fashion an extension to the finger pier that will allow us to go bow in. We would prefer the privacy when sitting in the cockpit.

Congrats Gary: *Don't feel too bad about the little things that were left by the PO....those are all the things we get to spend money and time on in the future. *If you've got a sound hulled, decent engined Manatee, you're already ahead of the game. *Pic's please.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom