Ford Lehman bleeding/priming fuel system?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
spin on filters

marin:
Bob seems to be a bit wobbly with his advice. When I took his class the conversion to spin on filters came up and he discounted the whole idea. He said the original filters were easy enough and 1/5 the price of spin on filters.

On my boat the PO installed an electric pump for priming / bleeding. Works perfectly. I would not fill spin on filters to speed up bleeding. You could introduce dirt directly to the injection pump. Nigel Caulder slams this idea pretty hard.

Dan

I would not fill spin on filters to speed up bleeding. You could introduce dirt directly to the injection pump. Nigel Caulder slams this idea pretty hard.

Dan

There's ton of armchair theory out there about boating, engines, anchors, you nene it. I pay zero attention to any it, only to things that have been proven to be valid. While Nigel Calder's theory is certainly plausible I know scads of people who prefill fuel filters before installing them and never heard of a problem. We've had ours for about 16 years now and never had a problem. In addition to Bob's suggestion about the spin-on conversion it was also advised by the highly experienced snd reputable diesel shop in our harbor.

If one uses clean fuel from a clean container Calder's theory is no more than that. An astroid could land on our boat and sink it, too. I give equal consideration to both theories.:)

Reviving this thread...
I have installed new aluminum fuel tanks but have a leaking fitting and want to transfer fuel from stbd to port. I have a 3/8" crossover/supply line to engine that I'd like to install a small transfer pump with a pair of three way valves to isolate. Is there any way to reverse pumps? switch black/red wires? Also could this pump be a stand by if my mechanical pump fails?...I guess it would have to be between the primaries & secondaries though huh? (fuel needs to be sucked through primaries instead of pushed?

Reviving this thread...
I have installed new aluminum fuel tanks but have a leaking fitting and want to transfer fuel from stbd to port. I have a 3/8" crossover/supply line to engine that I'd like to install a small transfer pump with a pair of three way valves to isolate. Is there any way to reverse pumps? switch black/red wires? Also could this pump be a stand by if my mechanical pump fails?...I guess it would have to be between the primaries & secondaries though huh? (fuel needs to be sucked through primaries instead of pushed?

There are plenty of reversible transfer pumps out there, e.g.
https://www.hodgesmarine.com/jab18680-1000-jabsco-light-duty-reversible-diesel-transfer-pump.html

I don't think most are rated for continuous use, and I'm nitnsure you want to take the through-the-engjne route for moving fuel between tanks, do a bunch of plumbing and valves would be involved.

I'd set up a clean system for transfers and a clean system for priming and back up.

Capt Bill you are taking a huge risk. A friend of my was walking under a coconut palm once when a discarded electric fuel priming pump missed his shoulder by inches after being dislodged by a meteor......yes - it hit him on the head. If old Lucky wasn’t wearing his safety at play helmet that day or had looked up, things may have ended a lot differently for him.

Reviving this thread...

I did this on Seaweed. I had a clogged fuel pick up line so, as you said, I swapped the red and black wires and ran Seafoam back into my tank. It did not fix my issue however as the pump is 12v, reversing polarity worked like a champ.

I have my pump before my racors so I can pull the fuel through from the tank, fill the racor, and then make my engine go. Diesel priming is not something I have to do since I installed the $50 (originally $30, now $60) external fuel pump. I bought mine from the auto parts house. Green is diesel, though they also had one designed for gasoline.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom