Boat Goodies under the tree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Bucky
Vessel Make
Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
This year, Santa's bringing us six new windows for the pilothouse. Even after reducing their size, they're still over 5K.....ouch. Whatcha got under your tree?

I've got one gift -- two spiffy solar panels added to my set. My boat is now 100% off-the-grid for all but the wall-banger air-conditioner. :)

Life is good. Very very good.

Honestly I have the best boat of her size out here. Seaweed is more and more what I imagined she'd be at purchase. A lot of changes and improvements over the almost eight years I've called her home...

I love my boat.

Of course it rained today. Do you want to know why? Because Yesterday I relaunched Algae and put her running light (white all around) on, affixed her flexible solar panel, etc. I've not yet put the battery for the bilge pump in the dink so Obviously it had to rain today.

Not to worry: I'll put the batt in the dink soon and that will be the end of the rain for a considerable time.

Congratulations on the windows for Bucky. That's a big project. I'll bet it will be spectacular when finished.

My mechanic was here on Wednesday so it looks like I'll begin sea-trials at the next visit. Being mobile is the only gift I want.

Good news Janice! Sea trials, a big step!
I call my project the Never-ending Story. Everything happens in increments and everything (after its been done the second time) is an improvement. Today I added some grab handles and cut some bits of fancy plywood to cover the holes left when stuff was tossed. I just started to clean off the deck before I cut a nice hatch-shaped hole in it (its also the tank top) so I can clean out the first drinking water tank after 40 years or so. As the Three Stooges once said: "step-by-step, inch-by-inch..."

Larry, what brand did you end up going with?

As for boat gifts, another larger bluetooth speaker.

Along with a brand new anchor rode, (THANKS HOPCAR for the AMAZING customer service!!!) we had our props trued, shafts straightened, engines aligned, drip-less shaft seals, cutlass bearings, new battery charger, hull buffed and waxed, bottom paint, a new boot stripe and a partridge in a pear tree.

Attachments

• IMG_2118.jpg
    IMG_2118.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2112.jpg
    IMG_2112.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 90
As the Three Stooges once said: "step-by-step, inch-by-inch..."

There is nothing truer.

The goal at purchase was a decadent life on the hook. There was (and still is) a list. Some were modified, but mostly I'm right on track.

You see, early on and even until relatively recently I wanted a watermaker. Then I found out the filters (membranes) have a shelf life of two years, even in their fancy mylar sealed bags. That kinda blew that plan out of the water.

So I moved on. A couple weeks ago new eye-bolts went in around the pilothouse (and cockpit) overhang. Forward, I'll be able to put a canvas sunshade/rain collector just like that spiffy boat that was in the Keys for so long. Mine won't be as pretty as the blue one they had.

I saw that years ago and it planted a seed. What a great thing for the couple. They could have their hatches opened and I'm sure it kept the boat cooler much like the boom tents sailboats utilize.

Swiped their idea for certain. My canvas has a plastic thru-hull with the barb on the bottom and is placed pretty close to where the water tank fill is located. A hose to the fill and voila: instant water.

I still would LIKE a half opening tuna door (half the height of the transom) for boarding. In a few years climbing over the transom won't be a safe option however for now I'm "set" ... yes, I do understand a step would serve a similar purpose. If I find one someplace that will work I'll go that direction. It would be far less costly for certain.

And a step would be Good Enough.

After the engine passes her test period next on the agenda is an autopilot. Seaweed does not track. Period. You can have the wheel at the same place and she'll turn 180 degrees with no wind nor visible current. And yes, that's happened to me in the brief time it took to go to the galley and pour myself a cup of tea.

So I've got my eyes opened learning a bit about autopilots. The new ones are far too Star Trek for my needs and budget. I'd like one that will steer a compass course -- no waypoints are necessary. Our boat (the 40'er) tracked and I thought erroneously that a decent captain can steer a straight course.

Not on Seaweed. That simply does not happen.

When I was a kidlet and Daddy came up to the fly bridge he looked aft first. He did not want to see a wobbly track because that meant I was wasting fuel.

Such is life. It's wonderful on the water, isn't it? :)

P.S. Congratulations to Skinny Dippin' -- a shiny boat does look spiffy. About that "and a partridge in a pear tree" you mentioned. Is that Christmas dinner?

My boat isn't getting anything for Christmas. It's been Christmas for the boat all year! :nonono:

Ted

P.S. Congratulations to Skinny Dippin' -- a shiny boat does look spiffy. About that "and a partridge in a pear tree" you mentioned. Is that Christmas dinner?

HA! We might be on ramen noodles and mac & cheese for a while after this yard bill. Although it will be totally worth it going into our first season with the new boat having the major projects already done! How many days till spring?

Larry, what brand did you end up going with?

Waterway Systems right here in Sarasota. The aluminum extrusions he uses look quite a bit sturdier than others I've seen. I'll be reducing the sizes of each window and making the support posts larger. Glass being heavier than aluminum, I figure a savings of about 14 lbs. No loss in visibility from the helm or settee either.

We're giving/getting custom-labeled boating hats!

Here is what is on the list:

Pactor modem;
Stand Up Paddleboards;
Fuji Stabiliscope;
Fill-up the fuel tanks;
Ham radio;

I will be thrilled if I get any one of the above.

Here is what is on the list:
Fill-up the fuel tanks;
I will be thrilled if I get any one of the above.

Not long after purchasing the boat, my sister offered to have its fuel tanks filled. At $4 a gallon at the time, I said she should reconsider if she wasn't willing to come up with $1200 dollars. She had little comprehension of the cost of boat ownership/operation. Needless to say, my sister found an alternative gift: dinner.

They might be belated Xmas presents but here's the list.

2nd VHF and antenna.
Solar Panels and MMPT charger.
More tiddling with the electrical system (re cabling the house bank, etc).
Engine oil and transmission oil coolers.
Possibly some work on the shaft.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

my sister offered to have its fuel tanks filled. . . . She had little comprehension of the cost of boat ownership/operation.

Few non-boaters have any idea of the actual expense of any aspect of boating. An acquaintance is toying with the idea of buying a boat like ours, mentioning what he thought the acquisition cost would be. Actually, he seems pretty confident in his number, even though it doesn't cover a year's worth of ownership costs.

Few non-boaters have any idea of the actual expense of any aspect of boating. An acquaintance is toying with the idea of buying a boat like ours, mentioning what he thought the acquisition cost would be. Actually, he seems pretty confident in his number, even though it doesn't cover a year's worth of ownership costs.

Marinas need slip queens too. :D

My boat is getting a bunch of new wiring, battery charger, new gauges and some other stuff as a result of an incident that happened in September.

Me? I'm getting an ice maker and a corn hole game (google it, it ain't what you think).

Stop working on so many different Yachts and buy myself a Selene, given that I also win the Christmas lottery.

Back
Top Bottom