View Single Post
Old 12-19-2015, 01:06 PM   #16
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
Many hydraulic steering have 3 lines. The third smaller line is a by pass used to bleed the lined, by holding hard over, back and forth. The Eagle when sitting developes so slop in the steering. To correct fix I have to turn the wheel hard over a dozen times which takes the play slop out, and makes it solid again.

If you have to bleed or make solid, added fluid from the highest point and turn helm hard over until you feel there isn't no pressure back and forth. I had the hoses replaced and that is how we bled the lines.
Thanks Phil- Your process sounds like that which inadvertently I have been applying. You are correct, the system seems to react if I do the stop to stop a couple o
f times. After doing this for what ever period I am actively motoring along, steering functions fine abet the wheel creep that combined with the free wheeling, brought this original inquiry.
Now I am going to watch the videos posted and see if they provide additional clues or solutions.
Here again, the forum provides a source of information from all sectors with varied solution offerings. Thank you all.
Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote