Headcount?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cd30ketch wrote:

I am about to be a Defever 40 owner. I have a question. My HIN number is PAS401091073 I know the last for were the month and year being October 1973. A friend of ours has hull #3 also built in 1973 with his hull number starting out as PAS40003..... Should the 109 of my HIN be the hull number? It is hard to think that they laid 109 hulls in the first year they built the 40.
Yours was built in October 73, keep in mind that back then the boating industry as well as automotive industry did come out with model year changes in mid year sometime.* So his #003 could have been built in say 06 of 72 but been titled as a 73 for marketing reasons.* That gives you 16 -17*months of production or 6-7 a month.* Possible?* Maybe.

My documentation shows my number as AAY00020279, so I guess that makes my boat hull #2 that was built by Jensen Marine in Santa Ana, CA. in Feb.1979?

Thanks Mike, and right you are...Downeast built my boat, not Jensen, and yes they are very nice, well made boats and like you, I cannot see myself parting with my boat.

Here are a few differences between the 1973 #003 and the 1973 #109

My (109) has a trough molded around the seats on the flybridge floor and a pipe just behind the starboard seat to dump rain water over. 003 does not.

My lazaret hatch is wood and his is not.

My wood hand rails go all of the way around the bow where his stops and a metal rail goes around the bow.

My stanchions go straight up and his are at an angle.

My stanchions are not thru bolted in the wood trim his are.

My boat has a blue passage maker emblem on the side of the cabin and his does not and shows no signs of there ever being one.

I thought these were interesting differences in two boats of the same year especially the molded trough fly bridge floor.

Mike,
The lines drawing in your avitar intreuge me still. Are those the lines of a De Fever?
I see in the lines that there is almost no emersed transom. That should be a very easily driven hull.

Any 48 owners out there? I'd love to get some more inside knowledge as I have one under contract.

-- Edited by Daddyo on Saturday 29th of January 2011 11:59:53 PM

I should have updated this a while ago. The 48 is our newest joy!

I am curious to know how many DeFever owners are on this forum.* I am a soon-to-be-owner if all goes well with the survey.* Don't be shy, folks!

Me too. I decided to buy a trawler after a few bar crossings in my Wooldridge Alaskan and have fallen in love with the 40-41 models. I have found a 40 on the hard that needs cosmetic work mostly teak that i may buy.
Good luck!:)

bfloyd,
Check your private messaages.

We took owner ship of a 41' Defever this Sept. We're pretty new to trawlers having operated Boston Whalers and Armstrong Catamarans for most our water recreational needs. We dock and motor out of Kodiak Island, Alaska. It's in good shape but we're hoping to link up with other Defever owners to troubleshoot some of the systems.

Back
Top Bottom