Your idea of a perfect Anchorage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought mermaids were blonde.

Jamaica, mon!

Attachments

• dscn0747.jpg
    dscn0747.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 80
  • dscn0862.jpg
    dscn0862.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 75
BaltimoreLurker wrote:

Jamaica, mon!
I'd like to be there now.* Have you taken your boat to Jamaica,*** mon?

BaltimoreLurker wrote:

Jamaica, mon!
Darrell, for Pete's sake beware.* Have you forgotten what nearly happened to James Bond when the three blind mice were about.* (Dr No)

Peter B wrote:
Darrell, for Pete's sake beware.* Have you forgotten what nearly happened to James Bond when the three blind mice were about.* (Dr No)
Yes, eventually Honey Ryder made an appearance!

KJ wrote:
I'd like to be there now.* Have you taken your boat to Jamaica,*** mon?
LOL, no, not even close.* But, while at Margaritaville I did see a Com-Pac 23 anchored off the beach.* The Com-Pac 23 was my previous, sail, boat.* I've heard of people sailing them to the Bahamas.* I'm just amazed at the brass of folks who will take a tiny boat like that out into the open ocean.

I'm surprised we haven't heard from FF commenting on the gray canister the man in the wind section is utilizing.* I'm sure there are other folks here that recognize it.

baltimorelurker wrote:

i'm surprised we haven't heard from ff commenting on the gray canister the man in the wind section is utilizing.* i'm sure there are other folks here that recognize it.

super bong?????

Hollywood

hollywood8118 wrote:SUPER BONG?????
HOLLYWOOD
No, but I like the way you think.* It is Jamaica, after all.

*One of my most favorite anchorages, Dear Pass, near Troup Narrows on Cunningham Island. BC coast.
This place has history. Safe and Happy Boating PJ.

PJ,* Beautiful spot!* Looks Awesome.

JohnP

John,
Like your new avitar.
Pac J,
So where is cunningham Is?

* My son and I anchored out at Jones Island in the San Juans for a couple of days.
The first evening that we were there, a bunch of folks got together for a big cook out on shore.** While things were getting readied for the feast some guys were already sitting around the fire telling stories (hmmm, drinking, boating, and stories, my kind of crowd).
** Anyway, this one guy was telling how he had caught a couple of really nice fish that day* (salmon, I think) and he was keeping them on ice on his boat.* A few minutes later we hear this ruckus going on out where the boats were moored .We all go running down to the water where we see a couple of otters in the back of this guys boat (the one with the fish story) and they are tearing it apart. The guy jumps in his dinghy and rows like a madman out to his boat cursing and screaming at the critters the whole time.* I mean this guy could have made an Olympic sculling team. Well, the otters hear him coming and just before he gets to the boat they dive overboard, each with a big fat fish in their jaws.
He climbs on his boat and you could have heard him on the next island yell*
"son of a b itch".
* So he quietly rows back to shore and says he's sorry but he now he doesn't have anything to contribute to the dinner.*We said it was ok,*he earned his dinner with the entertainment, and was welcome to join in.
* We hiked to the other side of the island and had some beautiful views.****** KJ*****

-- Edited by KJ on Thursday 24th of February 2011 01:16:02 AM

Attachments

• jones is 2.jpg
    jones is 2.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 71
  • jones is.jpg
    jones is.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 66
  • sj is.jpg
    sj is.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 66
  • jones is 3.jpg
    jones is 3.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 77
Good Day Eric, The location that Pic. Was taken is 52 17,231' N 127 59,561' W . It is a shallow bay with a good mud bottom. This place holds lots of history. Cunningham Island has Return Channel to the North, Johnson Channel to the East, Gunboat Passage to the South,and Troup Passage to the West. This is one of the bays I will never become tired of returning to. Thank You for Your interest. PJ.

Killick wrote:

nomadwilly wrote:

Killick,
Your picture is STUNNING. As far as I'm concerned you get the prize for best anchorage picture. I just wish I could click it and make it full screen on my 27" i-Mac. Rich colors w the perfect amount of contrast. I also regret that I never made it to Chatterbox Falls when we were down south. I always wanted to go in the winter. Can you edit and re-post it as a clickable thumbnail? I wonder if that would work anyway.
Thanks - you are both too kind!* The camera did all the magic...all I did was point & click.* Digital SLR's are amazing.* Chatterbox Falls is best viewed in the spring with the run-off in full flow...thie was taken in early May and already the falls had started to moderate.

I'll try to repost a link to the full format pic - it is uploaded to photobucket.* If it doesn't work, I'd be happy to email it to anyone who wants it.* It makes a great wallpaper!* ps....it's just under 5mb.* Thanks, Alisa

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/adenduyf/PrincessLouisaanchorage.jpg

I'd love a copy of the picture too... please email to me susanpayette@hotmail.com
thanks in advance!!

Pac J,The one place I recognize is Gunboat Passage. That's great * *...I just wanted to know the general area and that nails it. Just SW of Shearwater there's a most beautiful maize of islands, channels and passageways like the west side of Hunter Is. Every time I run the IP I say I'm going to cruise and take my time doing it someday but I never do it. Always in a hurry to get south and beat the weather in the fall or hurry up and get to Alaska.

DR,
Don't need an SLR. I take all the pics you've seen on TF w a pocket sized camera.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Thursday 24th of February 2011 10:08:09 AM

Pacific Joule:
Thanks for the beautiful photo of the anchorage on the east side of the north entrance to Deer Passage/Troup Passage.*
That area around New Bella Bella/Shearwater has some really nice anchorages.*
My post on Page 3 (Jan 11) of this thread, was of Beales Bay (named on new chart 3939), just off Gunboat Passage on the north side, taken last summer.*
I think you may get a favourable comment from Sea Horse II, who seems to think the places we chuck the anchor over are o.k.
That IS a nice looking boat you have there.*
biggrin.gif

OS*

-- Edited by Old_Salt on Friday 25th of February 2011 12:50:22 PM

Terrebonne Bay, South of Houma, LA, right*next to an oil structure pilings.*As soon as it gets dark put out the lights and catch a mess of Speckled Trout,*Redfish, and maybe a Flounder or two.*
See the drilling rig in the background, the fishing here has always been great and still is after the oil spill.
Steve W.

Attachments

• terrebonne bay sunset.jpg
    terrebonne bay sunset.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 72
Steve,
Wonderful picture. I like the way you used the pilings/dolphin to make good composition and visual depth.

Old Salt,
Of course it's a nice looking boat***** ....it's just like yours.* Ha ha
Sounds like Pac J has the wander lust like you. I expect some really good stuff form him down the channel here on TF.

Fossil Bay, Sucia Is.

KJ wrote:

"Remember, no matter where you go, there you are"

Happens to me too! Odd coincidence.

Fossil Bay is by far my favorite local destination. The other bays on the island are each unique and wonderful.

*Ahoy! Old Salt glad you liked my photo. Yours of Beales Bay, is amazing, such an incredible reflection. Beales Bay is not that far from where the MV Queen Of Prince Rupert ran aground in Gunboat Pass .
I have seen some photos of your boat now and love her lines. She looks to be in bristol condition. A real B.C. Coast Cruiser, made in B.C.. Good idea to have the aft deck covered , very practical for the Northwest. Provides that much needed space to hang wet slickers and boots.
biggrin.gif

Safe and Happy Boating
PJ.***
Is it ok to have more than one favorite / perfect anchorage?

Pacific Joule:

You asked, "Is it ok to have more than one favorite / perfect anchorage?"

It must be ... I have about 'leventy-seven.

Some of my favorites are in that New Bella Bella area, but that run from Kitimat to Hartley Bay, near your home port,*has some special ones.* I really liked being parked in front of the lagoon entrance at the head of Kiskosh Inlet, with the towering mountains on the west side.

C'mon Summer!

OS

Edit:

PJ:*** I guess you had to be there ... the photo I took at Kiskosh looks like all the rest of the inlet anchorages ...

img_44457_0_9d051e54bd927f5f9703bb11c0fe68aa.jpg

-- Edited by Old_Salt on Monday 28th of February 2011 12:29:24 AM

Here's another favorite anchorage: Pavlof Harbor, a well-protected spot off Freshwater Bay, which is on the west side of Chatham Strait, about 35 miles SW of Juneau.* Salmon go up this river, and brown bears are often seen.

The second one is Fern Harbor, on the north side of Cross Sound.* Not a secure anchorage in SE wind, but fine scenery in good weather.* The mountain (La Perouse, IIRC) is at the southern end of the Fairweather Range, which supplies many of the glaciers in Glacier Bay.

-- Edited by RCook on Tuesday 1st of March 2011 05:33:01 PM

Attachments

• 03730029.jpg
    03730029.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 2008fernharborsunset1h.jpg
    2008fernharborsunset1h.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 94
Thanks, Richard.

I'll try Pavlof next time I'm anywhere near Hoonah, Tenakee Springs, or Peril Strait.* Looks like the only spot in Freshwater with an anchorable depth.* Great Pic.

I've passed by Fern Harbour on the way from Glacier Bay to Pelican, and again, your photography skills sure make it look great.* Caught the light just right.

Thank You.

OS

These aren't from the majestic PNW but can't resist adding some more of my favorite shots that I took over the last few years on my previous boats to our trawler....I have to do something to counteract the PNW majesty and add some southern pines!

Lake Allatoona (Atlanta, GA area):
img_44736_0_5e17ad93132f2037fafa34810954f364.jpg

img_44736_1_44556ff8957dde7fff23588f209ac5fc.jpg

Lake Lanier, GA:
img_44736_2_09ff2513c1a8beb0dafffc9b17069fae.jpg

img_44736_3_06b37c69c937727180d51868f7472352.jpg

img_44736_4_f641c60922bc21457bba2a3e5898cce5.jpg

img_44736_5_773e2b23696b419b315937bfd7f27716.jpg

img_44736_6_d2ff20f25f70a841baee6b6e86f67beb.jpg

And one of my favorite shots I took on the TN River back in 2004/2005 when we did 450 miles of the river aboard the 33' express we owned at the time:
img_44736_7_2c8b8f4eced1395b3985178b2e874f2a.jpg

Seeing that trawler anchored peacefully for the night next to us and looking at her classic lines....pretty much decided then and there I wanted to do that too! :)

-- Edited by Woodsong on Tuesday 1st of March 2011 09:48:47 PM

-- Edited by Woodsong on Tuesday 1st of March 2011 09:50:52 PM

Old Salt, Here is a Pic. Of some of the local hills near my home port. The peak in the photo is 6500' and is part of the Kitimat Range. This is along the Gardner Canal, Whidbey Reach, at Courageux Pt. The Gardner Canal along with the Douglas Channel form one of the longest fjord complexes in the world.
The fjord near where this photo was taken is 275 fathoms, some of the anchorages in this area can drop off deep fast.
A pic. to show* what fog looks like from above. The*one with the tent*is looking the same direction as the one with the fog , back to where the two pics.*that were taken*from the *warter.*
Richard, Impressed with your photos of Pavlof Harbor and Fern Harbor, very nice. Dam..... things always seem bigger in Alaska.
Safe and Happy Boating PJ.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gardner_Canal

-- Edited by Pacific Joule on Wednesday 2nd of March 2011 01:35:59 PM

-- Edited by Pacific Joule on Wednesday 2nd of March 2011 07:38:55 PM

Attachments

• 38.jpg
    38.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 85
  • 34.jpg
    34.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 88
  • p1010433.jpg
    p1010433.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 95
  • p1010461.jpg
    p1010461.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 79
  • p1010462.jpg
    p1010462.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 92
Thanks OS and PJ

PJ, the Gardner Canal sure looks gorgeous. I've read about it, but in many BC coast trips I haven't gotten that far in yet - looks like I need to do so.

RCook:
Richard, the Gardner Canal IS gorgeous!* Trust me.* I traveled the entire shoreline in 2007, and there are more waterfalls per nautical mile than I have ever seen in the known universe.* Its a place where you want to slow down and spin the wheel every once in a while, to take in the view of the entire 360 degrees,*
There are a number of anchorages in the Canal:* Triumph Bay near the entrance on the south side of the canal, in front of the waterfall;
img_44796_0_2b4d26ca81359bf0dc0c3e3259ee80fb.jpg

a couple of places in Kiltuish Inlet, inside the tricky entrance; Owyacumish Bay has anchoring depths, but may be a little too open in a blow; Chief Mathews Bay before entering the Kitlope Valley; check your anchoring depths at Price Cove.* It does have a nice view of the Kitlope Valley; there is a little nook on the north side near the Delta that looked like a 3 way tie down, with the anchor in the nook and 2 lines to shore, but I avoided it; and the good old standby with free room and board, courtesy of Alcan, at the floats in Kemano Bay.*
img_44796_1_b11c6036196c64a04190d2701b9b2233.jpg

Kitsaway Anchorage, west of the entrance is a good starting/ending anchorage.* Take a week.* You can get fuel and good water and free moorage at Hartley Bay, and fuel, water, groceries, moorage at MK Bay Marina in Kitimat, if you go that way.*
Dont forget to check out all the hot springs and tubs in this area.* Youll find them, but Pacific Joule would hunt me down and drill holes in my boat, if I posted their locations here.
Be careful near the Kitlope River Delta.* I think those mud flats shift around a lot and depths may not be EXACTLY as charted!
OS

-- Edited by Old_Salt on Wednesday 2nd of March 2011 10:23:22 AM

Back
Top Bottom