Old 12-18-2015, 04:55 AM   #26
angus99
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Angus99, I had great service out of a set of 4 traditional flooded US Battery L16s, a bit taller than those delivering 425AH each. Look forward to seeing how your AGMs do.
Me, too, George. We're out of the water until Spring getting the steering rebuilt and a number of other things. Another guy I know used L16s on a similarly laid out ER to mine with great success. I wanted to maximize space above for other stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post

Angus

Good addition for those wanting AGMs.

When not at the dock how will the new AGM batteries get recharged - size and model of alternators or genset via inverter or both or ??

Also where in your ER will these be mounted?
Sunchaser, we have a Westerbeke 12.5 KW genset, which we're going to supplement with solar. I'm also upgrading the alternators to 100-amp units and adding new Balmar smart regulators, Centerfielder and Digital Duo. I've also installed a Magnum 2812 inverter charger. The system should be pretty flexible when we get through.

The original battery banks used to be outboard of the main engines (tiny white blocks in the drawing), and they were the only thing I did not like about the ER layout. They blocked access to one side of each engine and you had to be a gorilla reaching over an engine to remove the two 8Ds that were on each side.

The new house bank will be on the platform behind the port engine. These platforms are very robust--the starboard one holds the 720-lb Westerbeke and I consulted with the Defever builder, Wilson Lin, before deciding to put the 840-lb house bank on the opposite side. The new location is also closer to the centerline.

I reinforced the platform still further and the wall beside it. Then built a grid of oak 1 X 1s to keep the batteries in place. (The water heater is in a temporary location.)

The reinforced lid will press down on the top of the battery housings (NOT the terminals) with the downforce coming from turnbuckles. The lid will also be affixed to the wall. I know a guy who did his house bank this way and it works well.

This is as far as I've gotten so far with 4 of the 8 305s in place. The water heater is now lower and wall-mounted to accomodate the Magnum.

angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote