What's comparable to a Mainship 400?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since we have a MS 400 (2005, twins), I understand exactly what you are going through in your search. I didn't really want a Mainship, my first choice was a 42 Sabre, but they were just out of our price range.

We really found nothing comparable in the same price range.

We had a 1973 Gulfstar for 9 years prior to the Mainship and put a lot of miles under its keel. After that boat though, I learned two things and these two were non negotiable for me in the new boat.

1. I wanted the ability to go faster at times, and in rougher conditions to be able to bang through rather than roll.

2. Minimal to no exterior wood. I kept the teak on the old boat in great shape, but after 9 years enough was enough. I was tired of dealing with it.

Three years into the new boat those were both good decisions. I don't miss the wood at all, ever. We run at about 15 knots about 1/2 the time.

We also wanted a big FB, a second cabin that would sleep both our boys, a walkout covered cockpit and a galley that would support our 3 to 5 week Bahamas trips. The 400 checked all those boxes, though my younger son usually sleeps on the couch.

There are a few things I don't like about the boat. The wiring is a little wonky, the genset access is terrible (I removed the sound shield which helps a lot) access to outboard sides of engines is just OK (not as bad as it looks). You can't see the transom from either helm when backing into a slip.

But overall we love the boat. I can find very few things to nit pick. It's a good sea boat, economical and easy to work on. Comfortable, reliable. The build quality of Mainships improved in the later models, the 400 is a better built boat than the 390 in many ways.

Personally, I did not find the single appealing as it gives up some speed and draws a lot more water. The engine access on the single isn't really better than the twin, just different.

You are correct, the salon access hatch is a bit of a bear to deal with, I'd love to figure out a way to hinge it.

Anyway, sorry to puke so much random info on the page, I know I am rambling. Hope this helps.

Doug

The Mainship 400 will fit those specs very well. If you want to see more about the boat from a very knowledgeable owner, check out Steve Cyr's website for Stella Blue, his Mainship 400: Steven Cyr's Stella Blue Site

David

The new port/left/south to me neighbor in the marina has a new-to-him Mainship 400. In the last several weeks he's been there "stroking" his boat, least-wise when I've been to my boat. He seems like a happy "camper."

Last edited:
Our 2007 Mariner 40 seems to fit the bill pretty close.

2007 Mariner Europa Sedan Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Sold here as a Clipper 40, and outsells Mainship. Only hesitation is most are singles, twins are less common, but most Mainships, esp 34s are single 370 Yanmar. Quality seems to be there.
Has a Fairway 36/37 ever made it to USA? Nice boats, check this one. Used Fairway 36 Flybridge Cruiser for Sale | Boats For Sale | Yachthub. This is the old model, the new one in 2014 is nicer, bigger, and costs more, a used one is $385K AUD.

We have need of the following, for various reasons:

• Walk around deck(s); at least one, making an asymetric build ok
  • A (small) cockpit with transom door
  • A swim step
  • A flybridge or upper helm with opening windows. After all, we're in Florida.
We're trying to keep "steep" ladders/stairs to a minimum. It's an age thing.

Oddly, something like a Silverton 43MY may float your boat. I don't care much for their looks, but they've got all that stuff. Stairs to bridge, not a ladder. "Sidewalk" approach to bow from bridge. Not at all "trawler-ish" but the owners seem to like them very much.

I think Carver has an equivalent.

Not a recommendation, just a passing thought...

-Chris

Perhaps the Bayliner 45/47 Pilothouse fits most all of these check off boxes with a budget that is well under the goal.
Of course I am biased as I have owned more than one of these now.
Pilothouse , two side doors, no ladders required, easy line handling, low draft , air space suitable for the loop, cruise at trawler speeds with trawler economy, able to get to 17 knot cruise with reasonable economy as needed, etc.

Just a thought since so many boat names and types are being thrown out there....
Good luck to all preparing for these adventures.

Funny you should mention Silverton. Though not a fan initially, we were doing some marina walking yesterday, trying to decide where we'd like to berth whatever we buy, and happened across a Silverton in Cocoa Village. Nice looking boat. Can't remember the model/size though. Old age and CRS strike again :banghead: I should have taken pics. Our neighbor bought a Silverton last year, and is keeping it down in Stuart. I should pick his brain a bit before moving forward.

Funny thing about Merritt Island marinas. We walked around Harbortown a bit, and stopped for a beer. Great facilities and very nice people, but the docks suck! Drove through Harbor Square... didn't even get out of the car. Went over to Cocoa Village marina, and though highly exposed to winds out of the north and east, we were impressed with the site itself. Walked around a bit, and saw some gorgeous boats. More larger boats here than at Harbortown.

Oddly, something like a Silverton 43MY may float your boat. I don't care much for their looks, but they've got all that stuff. Stairs to bridge, not a ladder. "Sidewalk" approach to bow from bridge. Not at all "trawler-ish" but the owners seem to like them very much.

I think Carver has an equivalent.

Not a recommendation, just a passing thought...

-Chris

Most Carver or Sea Rays don't fit your sedan criteria. Carver pretty much owns the Aft Cabin market. Sea Ray owns the Express cruiser market. There is one Carver that fits your criteria. It is the Voyager 45. It is a sedan. It is well laid out. And the than the steps from the main level to the forward living areas(and flybridge steps), that is all they have. Anyway, they are not hideously ugly. But they certainly aren't "classically styled". Anyway, a thought. One thing is they are powered to plane. So they are twins and usually pretty big twins.

PS...I have owned both a Mainship and a Carver. The Carver is the better built boat...both structurally and engineering wise. I have absolutely nothing against the Mainship. I loved my Pilot. I went into Carver ownership with very low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. It certainly isn't perfect but you can tell somebody was at least thinking(about systems access,etc.). ANd the owner's manual surprised me as well. The Mainship manual was basically written by lawyer with no real substance....just warnings and cautions and "see your dealer" for the important stuff. The Carver manual has systems diagrams similar to those found in my flight manuals. I was impressed as I have never had a boat that had an OM as thorough as this....admittedly the Catalina sailboat I had was close.
There are a lot of good things about buying American boats. Many I have stated above. One thing is the lack of exterior wood. Another thing is windows generally do not leak. My boat is dry. It smells like a house downstairs...not a boat(no diesel smell...no sewage smell). Another thing is you can call the manufacturer with questions and locating parts. Mainship was not as well sorted out(as Carver or Catalina) before they went tango uniform, but it was a lot of help. I would imagine the new Marlow Mainship could at least get you on the right path for locating parts and services. FYI...both Carver and Catalina I was able to give them a HIN and they could tell me how the boat left the factory...shaft sizes...prop sizes and pitch...engine serial numbers. It is quite a nice resource when you are chasing things down.
Good luck with your search. With everything said, I am a tremendous fan of Mainship. I would not hesitate to own another.

Dougcole, thanks for your comments. There's nothing like input from a genuine owner of the model in question.

Manyboats comments caused me to reconsider the Nordic Tugs. I like the space on the NT 42. I also like the NT 37/39, but the cockpit is too small for my taste. My thoughts on the NT42:

-The wife and I will be empty nesters in 6 months. I doubt the kids will do much overnight cruising with us in the future. So my boating will consist of the just the two of us, or trips with another couple, or trips with me and a couple of guy friends.

-The NT 42 offers two cabins with separate heads. The master stateroom is accessed by a stairway from the pilothouse, and the guest stateroom is accessed from a stairway in the saloon. This separation of access offers unusual privacy in a non-aft cabin boat. That's a big deal (for us) when cruising with another couple. The two stateroom/single head arrangement on the MS400 is much less private.

-The NT's build quality, by all accounts, is much higher than the Mainship. Sort of like a Mercedes versus Chevy comparison.

-The pilothouse is starting to grow on me. These folks make a great argument for the pilothouse versus flybridge, and I agree with most of their logic: http://www.trawlersmidwest.com/pdf/BNtrawlerapril.pdf

-The biggest negative for the NT42 is the much higher price. There are few on the market under $350K.

We looked at Nordic Tug a little bit. They make a really great boat and I like them, but my wife felt that they were "sterile" down below. They just didn't give her the warm fuzzies, especially for the price.

ABfish, we are a lot alike. We are empty nesters, and will seldom have guests. Even when we do, it will seldom (if ever) be for more than a week. If we were still in California, I would be more likely to forego the FB. But being in FL now, I just can't see owning a boat without one. The fact is, CA cruising is different than FL cruising.

Our stark reality is we are severely limited by price. At 62/60, and with my medical history, we just can't justify going north of $250k. Hell, even that is a stretch unless we sell the house and move aboard. Unfortunately, it would (IMHO) be pretty irresponsible of me to put my wife in the situation where the boat is her only home if something were to happen to me. I can't do it.

Our old boat (back on the market, you can even see our little covered California Deck that we spent to much time on) is what we wanted before we knew what we wanted. Once we realized that, we started the search back in CA, and I found this (if you want to drool, click that link). It was the one that got away, and I still pine for her... literally. We could have had it for significantly less than the $1.495MM they're asking today. But that's another story.

Continuing our search, we got as far as a letter of intent on a N60 in 2008. But, my wife got sick, and that was that. A good thing, in a way... the financial meltdown hit us hard afterward, and we had to sell KMA (currently named Tango in the YW ad). Oh... the wife is fine, by the way :thumb:

So, here we are, struggling to balance wants vs. needs vs. $$. I've looked at so many boats on YW that it's making my head spin. Every search I run is overloaded with Carvers, Cruisers, Mainships, Meridians, and Sea Rays. There have been times in the last couple of weeks where I've asked the wife if I should just forget about it. She tells me no (God, I love her... even after 42 years!), then she reminds me that this shouldn't be a chore.

So, tomorrow I'll get up, and do another search to see what's out there.

KM, your old boat is a beaut. I've done a lot of looking, as well, but I enjoy that part.

To return to Mainships, what about the 43 Sedan? It looks like even more boat for the money than the 400.

2006 Mainship 43 Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I read in a review that the 43 cruised at a mighty bow high attitude, and I've seen a couple of pics that seem to confirm that. I've ridden in some older Carolina sportfishers that stuck their noses way up in the air, and I find that tiring on a long trip, though it does make for a drier ride offshore.

KM, your old boat is a beaut. I've done a lot of looking, as well, but I enjoy that part.

To return to Mainships, what about the 43 Sedan? It looks like even more boat for the money than the 400.

2006 Mainship 43 Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I read in a review that the 43 cruised at a mighty bow high attitude, and I've seen a couple of pics that seem to confirm that. I've ridden in some older Carolina sportfishers that stuck their noses way up in the air, and I find that tiring on a long trip, though it does make for a drier ride offshore.

I think that is an excellent boat at an excellent price...I know you weren't asking me. But the only potential drawback is those engines. That is almost 1100hp. And those are pretty big engines in a relatively small space. So I guess what I am saying, fuel burn and engine access would be a concern....engine access being the bigger concern(for me) of the two.

We looked at Nordic Tug a little bit. They make a really great boat and I like them, but my wife felt that they were "sterile" down below. They just didn't give her the warm fuzzies, especially for the price.

If I were not a person of great maturity, I would attempt to make a joke of "warm fuzzies" and "sterile down below"....

If I were not a person of great maturity, I would attempt to make a joke of "warm fuzzies" and "sterile down below"....

And I'd deserve to be the "butt" of that joke :).

I've never seen a 43 in person, there don't seem to be a lot of them around. I'd love a little more floor space in the two cabins, but I'm not so sold on the galley down set up.

I wouldn't mind a little more speed as well (I sometimes day dream about fitting 200 more HP in the same space) but that is a lot of engine, 1080 hp. No specs on cruise speed/top end. I'm guessing fast cruise is low to mid 20 knots?

The 43 Sedan seems to be about 12" wider on the beam, so there might be adequate ER space. When I first looked at this listing, I thought it a misprint, not knowing MS even made the 43 Sedan. With the galley down, it looks like a MS34/40 hybrid. That's a lot of power for that boat.

Sorry about the wall of text yesterday. I got to waxing philosophical :eek:

"No specs on cruise speed/top end. I'm guessing fast cruise is low to mid 20 knots?"
We cruised along side one for half a week a few seasons back....

- 27 mph with 1,080 hp utilized.

Mainship 43

Here's a Mainship 40 Sedan Bridge, definitely not trawler-like in looks, but it provides most of the features of the MS400. It has v-drives, which are accessed through the cockpit sole. And it has a walk-through access from the flybridge to the foredeck. If you're considering a Meridian or the like, it would be worth a look-

1999 Mainship 40 Sedan Bridge Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

The Mainship 400 will fit those specs very well. If you want to see more about the boat from a very knowledgeable owner, check out Steve Cyr's website for Stella Blue, his Mainship 400: Steven Cyr's Stella Blue Site

David
Although I certainly am not in the market for another boat, (yet) My curiosity to read David's post peaked and I read the link on Stella Blue. Extremely well done & super informative.

David helped me and a friend of mine on the purchase of an Ocean Alexander and we won't soon forget it. It helped us make an informed decision on the purchase.:thumb:

INTERESTING! My wife loves our OA for exactly the same reason! It's warm & fuzzy and has the performance that I was looking for.

the 430 sedan is a much larger boat than the 34T or the 400T. I parked my 390 next to one once. When I pulled into the marina and got my slip assignment I saw the 430 down the fairway. Thought it was a 400 from a distance and was going to do some 390/400 comparisons with the owner. When I pulled in next to it i was amazed at the size.
John
MS390

I sincerely appreciate all of the feedback on this thread. The discussion here led me to look outside of my original checklist, and in the end I decided that a faster boat with twin engines would better meet my needs. I rarely take more than a three-day weekend, and I realized that a 15 to 20 knot cruising speed would open up a lot more options.

I closed on the boat today, only a bit above my original budget, and here's what I ended up with:

2003 Mikelson 44 Long Range Cruiser Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Last edited:
That's a really nice looking boat. Congrats!

aws.gif

You are going to be very happy, Mikelson builds popular west coast sport fish boats to a high standard and are still in business turning out several boats per year.

That's a great looking boat - The enclosed bridge should treat you well in NC.

What a great find! Well done.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom