Cleaning the Hull

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We don't scrub or use a Scotch Pad on the bottom as we do on the prop occasionally. We use a dry wall knife/scraper to clean the bottom. We're not racing and we seem to get more time out of our paint.

I propose that the more often one takes their boat for an outing/cruise, the less bottom maintenance is needed.

Have my boat hauled annually for a power scrub, inspection, as well as zinc replacement and bottom-paint application/touch-up/propeller treatment as needed.

The thing with bottom paint is unless you are comparing paint for the exact same location you are comparing apples and oranges. We had a hard bottom paint on the boat when we bought it. We were in Community Harbor near Tavernier in the Keys for 11 months, almost no growth at all. It did not need cleaning at all period. We moved to Boot Key Harbor just 50 miles away and literally there would be 2 inches thick of growth in 6 weeks. It was crazy. With the Coppercoat we would get some slime on the bottom but that was pretty much it.

I believe the coppercoat will work good anywhere if applied correctly. If I was going to use paint again I would talk to about every person that I could in the SAME harbor that I was going to keep the boat and see what they had success with.

We were in Community Harbor near Tavernier in the Keys for 11 months, almost no growth at all. It did not need cleaning at all period. We moved to Boot Key Harbor just 50 miles away and literally there would be 2 inches thick of growth in 6 weeks. It was crazy. .

Any conclusion as to why the huge difference?

Any conclusion as to why the huge difference?

Only a guess. There is a golf course next to the harbor. Local theory is all the fertilizers they use running off into the water. Boot Key Harbor has about 6' of visibility on a good day while in Community Harbor you could see a dime on the bottom of 6' water.

It's important to use a paint with an anti slime component like Trinidad SR or Micron 66.

The "slime reduction" ingredient in Pettit Trinidad SR (Irgarol) is no longer available. Interlux Micron 66 never had such an ingredient. I thought you were a paint dealer- shouldn't you know this stuff?

If you're going to get the boat scrubbed every month, why bother with bottom paint?

I suggest you give it a try and let us know how that works out for you.
rolleyes.gif

There are cleaners here who use some advanced process with air jets to remove muck without physical scrubbing.

I suspect you are referring to a cavitation cleaning system. There are several commercially available versions (CaviBlaster, CavitCleaner etc.) It is essentially a pressure washer with a special nozzle that creates cavitating "bubbles" of air and water in a "flame" that will clean pretty much anything off a submerged surface. It does not remove anti fouling paint. The downside is the bulkiness of the equipment and the cost. The smallest unit weighes in at something like 250 pounds and costs about $13,000U.S. I have rented them for use on special projects but it is really too much machine for pleasure craft maintenance and also out of reach financially for most hull cleaners.

Once you scrub the a/f paint I think the stuff is doomed.

Well, that's just simply not true. In fact, relatively frequent (and therefore gentle) cleanings will extend the useful life of your anti fouling paint, quite dramatically in fact.

Well, that's just simply not true. In fact, relatively frequent (and therefore gentle) cleanings will extend the useful life of your anti fouling paint, quite dramatically in fact.

That's the part being missed. When we say frequent cleanings, we're not talking scrubbing. All our cleanings are gentle. It's like saying if you wash down your hull and deck, you're reducing their life. If you do it on a timely basis, you never have to scrub hard or use anything harsh. You simply wipe it clean.

Growth on your hull will cause you to need more frequent painting.

I can see that hard a/f should be fine with vigorous cleaning, but ablative? I`ve seen it come off in clouds of color, and after that re-fouling seemed quick. Maybe the a/f was at its effective end anyway, but that`s my experience.

I can see that hard a/f should be fine with vigorous cleaning, but ablative? I`ve seen it come off in clouds of color, and after that re-fouling seemed quick.

Gentle cleaning, not vigorous cleaning. If paint in good condition requires more than a piece of carpet or a white pad to clean it, you've waited too long and will be removing paint unnecessarily.

It ain't rocket science folks.

Gentle cleaning, not vigorous cleaning. If paint in good condition requires more than a piece of carpet or a white pad to clean it, you've waited too long and will be removing paint unnecessarily.

It ain't rocket science folks.

Wifey B: Don't you guys get it? Be gentle to her and she'll reward you. :)

"The "slime reduction" ingredient in Pettit Trinidad SR (Irgarol) is no longer available"
They changed to a different approach. They put PTFE in to make it slippery.

"Interlux Micron 66 never had such an ingredient."
Yes it does, always has.

"I thought you were a paint dealer- shouldn't you know this stuff?"
I do know my stuff. Apparently you don't.

"If you're going to get the boat scrubbed every month, why bother with bottom paint?"
"I suggest you give it a try and let us know how that works out for you. "

Why would I do that? I use good paint and don't need a diver for more than a year.

"Interlux Micron 66 never had such an ingredient."
Yes it does, always has.

I will stand corrected on this point. Some Interlux products used an additive they called "Biolux", which is Irgarol. Again however, Irgarol is currently no longer being manufactured.

Similiar to other members who responded, my boat's bottom is cleaned monthly and throughout the year. She could probably use more frequent cleanings during the warm summer months. I've been using Pettit Trinidad for a few years and am pleased with the results. I could probably get two years out of a bottom job but I haul the boat out annually to have the bottom inspected, pressure washed, lightly sanded, and painted.

Last edited:
I used Petit Trinidad SR77 on the recommendation of their website, my diver and my marina manager. It was applied in May, 2010 and I am just now having it redone. That seems pretty good to me.

Then there is always the Barnacle Zapper. Yes, there really is such a thing.

Barnacle Zapper- Ultrasonic Antifouling

I have no idea if it works or any issues. $1999 for a unit and two transducers. Definitely an intriguing prospect though.

There are many ultrasonic anti fouling systems available. None of them replace anti fouling paint, they all are used in conjunction with it. My personal opinion is that if these things performed as advertised, we'd see them on every chandlery shelf. But we don't. In my 21 years in the biz and 25,000 boats cleaned, I have yet to come across one in use.

Last edited:
There are many ultrasonic anti fouling systems available. None of them replace anti fouling paint, they all are used in conjunction with it. My personal opinion is that if these things performed as advertised, we see them on every chandlery shelf. But we don't. In my 21 years and 25,000 boats cleaned, I have yet to come across one in use.

I haven't either. They do have some in actual use in South Florida. Wonder how much of that was promotional installations rather than normal sales. You would have expected they would have installed some in their local area as tests.

Ultrasonic systems were installed on two actively campaigned J/120 raceboats here in the Bay Area a year or two ago (neither boat was serviced by me.) Both owners were unsatisfied enough with their performance to remove them, according to the owner of the local J/Boat dealership (whose boats I do service.)

I will stand corrected on this point. Some Interlux products used an additive they called "Biolux", which is Irgarol. Again however, Irgarol is currently no longer being manufactured.

Actually I believe he corrected you on 3 points.

Actually I believe he corrected you on 3 points.

HopCar cannot "correct" my statements if they were not incorrect.

I will always admit it if I make a misstatement. I was wrong about Irgarol not being an ingredient in Micron 66. Otherwise, everything I wrote can be taken as gospel.

Last edited:
Wifey B: That's the problem with gospel. There are too many different preachers all with their own interpretation. :D

"Some Interlux products used an additive they called "Biolux", which is Irgarol."
No it's not.

"Some Interlux products used an additive they called "Biolux", which is Irgarol."
No it's not.

Well, no offense, but yes it is.

Bottom paints containing Irgarol are usually marketed as having a boosting agent that enhances the paint’s protection against algae, soft growth, or “slime." Interlux’s Micron Extra with Biolux, Pettit’s slime-resistant “SR” formulas such as Trinidad SR... are examples of these paints.

Bottom Paint Makers face Irgarol Shortage - Inside Practical Sailor Blog Article

Last edited:
HopCar cannot "correct" my statements if they were not incorrect.

I will always admit it if I make a misstatement. I was wrong about Irgarol not being an ingredient in Micron 66. Otherwise, everything I wrote can be taken as gospel.

Your statement about Interlux paint was incorrect.

Your statement about the need for monthly cleanings was incorrect. In many cases at least.

And your statement about him needed to try it out and see what happens was incorrect. Since it appears that is just what he is doing now. And he doesn't see the need for monthly cleanings.

So there's your 3. :D

Your gospel may apply in SF but that doesn't make it a universal truth.

Your statement about the need for monthly cleanings was incorrect. In many cases at least.

And your statement about him needed to try it out and see what happens was incorrect. Since it appears that is just what he is doing now. And he doesn't see the need for monthly cleanings.

Well chief, in your rush to prove me wrong, you failed to comprehend most of what I wrote and a fair amount of what HopCar wrote, as well. I never made a blanket statement about the need for monthly cleanings. And when HopCar implied that with monthly cleanings, no anti fouling paint is necessary, my rejoinder was meant to infer that without anti fouling paint, even monthly cleanings wouldn't suffice. Further, HopCar is not going without anti fouling paint, as you claim. He is happy with the product he is using, apparently to the point of feeling he needs annual cleanings only.

Last edited:
Well chief, in your rush to prove me wrong, you failed to comprehend most of what I wrote and a fair amount of what HopCar wrote, as well. I never made a blanket statement about the need for monthly cleanings. And when HopCar implied that with monthly cleanings, no anti fouling paint is necessary, my rejoinder was meant to infer that without anti fouling paint, even monthly cleanings wouldn't suffice. Further, HopCar is not going without anti fouling paint, as you claim. He is happy with the product he is using, apparently to the point of feeling he needs annual cleanings only.

Looking back your right. I miss read it. Mea culpa.

But I wasn't claiming he didn't have bottom paint. I was pointing out he did have bottom paint and didn't see the need to have his bottom cleaned monthly.

Monthly cleanings of painted bottoms just are not universally needed.

Wifey B: Methinks some bottoms could use cleaning. Maybe some boats too. :dance:

Back
Top Bottom