Drone registration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwnall

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 36
From the FAA website (https://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/)

"If you own a drone, you must register it with the Federal Aviation Administration's Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) registry. A federal law effective December 21, 2015 requires unmanned aircraft registration, and you are subject to civil and criminal penalties if you do not register."

Oh well.

From the FAA website (https://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/)

"If you own a drone, you must register it with the Federal Aviation Administration's Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) registry. A federal law effective December 21, 2015 requires unmanned aircraft registration, and you are subject to civil and criminal penalties if you do not register."

Oh well.

Only if it weighs more than 250 grams, roughly half a pound, and you fly outside.

The real interesting part is they don't need any information on the drones, only the operators. You don't have to even declare how many you have, nor register multiple drones. This is really more about registering operators than drones.

Only if it weighs more than 250 grams, roughly half a pound, and you fly outside.

The real interesting part is they don't need any information on the drones, only the operators. You don't have to even declare how many you have, nor register multiple drones. This is really more about registering operators than drones.

Thanks for that clarification. Guess my DJI Phantom will have to be registered, though (or at least I will anyway).

If I read it correctly you will need to register each drone you own separately. Although they don't collect information on the drone, they will issue a unique registration number that you will have to attach to the drone so it can easily be identified if found.

I'll be registering my DJI Phantom 3 Pro.

Richard

We just had one reported hovering over our state`s highest security prison. It moved away quickly when a guard went to investigate.
Registration could be useful to identify an owner after it is shot down. All operators would use a real name and address for registration, wouldn`t they.
Our police have set up a drone squadron, the Police operators have to be licensed by our aviation authority. Bring on the "drone wars".

Greetings,
Drone registration huh? How long before EVERY aircraft that is RC will have to be registered. Tax grab or security risk?

Actually, although it is a nuisance to have to jump through the hoops, I do not have any problem with the registration. Being able to trace the registered owner of one which does something it should not be doing is a good thing, IMO. That said, though, it will probably be like the "no call telephone number registration." More bark than bite.

I've been thinking about this a bit. At first glance it seems to be one of those "only law abiding people will register" things. The bad guys won't register. But perhaps there's some logic in this. Since the laws pertaining to drone use itself are not in place yet and are going to be tough to define, this registration gives the government a way to go after nefarious drone users for not registering, even if their exact drone activity could be harder to prosecute. Just a thought.

You can bet that if I have nefarious intent with my drone, I won't be registering it. Better to take the hit for lack of registration from FAA than to be caught in the act by law enforcement due to my registration. It's not that much different than gun registration, IMO. Buy a throw away illegal gun for your crimes. No worries with gun registration...that's for the legit operators only.

Now if the drones arrive with serial numbers engraved throughout and an electronic signature handshake requirement between drone and remote so it wouldn't work until registered, then you've got a system that prevents unregistered use. Then the operator will be tied to the drone and the electronic handshake which identifies the operator will be visible to others in the area. This assures operator accountability.

That's the dream Al. These things have DHS, FBI, Scotland Yard and several other agencies worldwide scared $hitle$$ right now. I spent a few hours in annual crisis training and the "hot topics" all revolved around possible nefarious drone use.

One of the current really common problems with drones locally is the interruption of air support for fire fighting. Drone owners want fire pictures and the Cal Fire has a zero tolerance rule for the pilots, no sharing airspace with drones period. Several California fires where impacted by having airdrops called off. The next generation payloads are what causes the security concerns, more can be fitted to those things than cameras.

If I read it correctly you will need to register each drone you own separately. Although they don't collect information on the drone, they will issue a unique registration number that you will have to attach to the drone so it can easily be identified if found.

I'll be registering my DJI Phantom 3 Pro.

Richard

There's a question & answer page at the faa.gov site. It addresses this question specifically.

"Q. If I own multiple drones, do I have to register them all?
A. No. You may register once and apply the same registration number to all your UAS."

Well, with the number of drone issues with planes, they're going to have to do something and this is just the first and easiest step. Drones long ago ceased being a benign toy and their use for nefarious purposes has rapidly increased from invasion of privacy and photographing to interfering with planes to being used by civilians to try to catch prostitutes in the act with customers, so basically neighborhood watch taken to the air.

Well, with the number of drone issues with planes, they're going to have to do something and this is just the first and easiest step. Drones long ago ceased being a benign toy and their use for nefarious purposes has rapidly increased from invasion of privacy and photographing to interfering with planes to being used by civilians to try to catch prostitutes in the act with customers, so basically neighborhood watch taken to the air.

Oh for goodness sakes. Please fact check yourself before posting such twaddle.

What parts do you know are untrue?

Well first off, are you really asking me to prove that drones spying on neighbors use of prostitutes is untrue? Why don't we ask the poster to prove that it is true?
For example if I posted that a bald eagle has been seen doing Sudoku, instead of my having to prove it is true you would challenge others to prove it was untrue?

On to the more rational conversation about near misses.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/gov/docs/AMAAnalysis-Closer-Look-at-FAA-Drone-Data_091415.pdf

Note: I fly a Phantom 3 Advanced and follow the AMA rules.

Well first off, are you really asking me to prove that drones spying on neighbors use of prostitutes is untrue? Why don't we ask the poster to prove that it is true?
For example if I posted that a bald eagle has been seen doing Sudoku, instead of my having to prove it is true you would challenge others to prove it was untrue?

http://www.modelaircraft.org/gov/docs/AMAAnalysis-Closer-Look-at-FAA-Drone-Data_091415.pdf

Now as to your stupid accusation and requirement of proof.

Drone Catches Man in the Act With Prostitute, Leads to Arrest | Digital Trends

http://www.koco.com/news/vigilante-uses-drone-to-catch-mans-alleged-meetup-with-prostitute/36514754

Anti-Prostitution Activist Uses Drone To Catch People In The Act - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

I can post as many other sources as you require. So please check yourself before posting such twaddle.

Any other part of my post you require proof of? Are you now prepared to prove everything you post?

The fact is that some users of drones have gotten out of hand and if some control isn't added then there will be a serious air accident. Drones aren't alone in this regard. There are certain areas of the country where laser pointers are repeatedly creating problems for pilots.

Now as to your stupid accusation and requirement of proof.

Drone Catches Man in the Act With Prostitute, Leads to Arrest | Digital Trends

Vigilante uses drone to catch man's meetup with accused prostitute | Oklahoma City - OKC - KOCO.com

Anti-Prostitution Activist Uses Drone To Catch People In The Act - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

I can post as many other sources as you require. So please check yourself before posting such twaddle.

Any other part of my post you require proof of? Are you now prepared to prove everything you post?

The fact is that some users of drones have gotten out of hand and if some control isn't added then there will be a serious air accident. Drones aren't alone in this regard. There are certain areas of the country where laser pointers are repeatedly creating problems for pilots.

Man, you just posted three different links to the same story?

Come on, neighborhood watch or PI?

Man, you just posted three different links to the same story?

Come on, neighborhood watch or PI?

I didn't figure you'd accept just one as proof. I could post more links to the story if required.

I would call neighborhood watch taken to the air as it's a civilian deciding to get involved watching activity in the neighborhood in an effort to protect the neighborhood.

The point was that drones are being used in ways to create risk to planes and drones are being used in such ways as to invade privacy. They're also being used by PI's. It's giving them access to property they otherwise could not have had. Whether it's Mystery Diners following people into a private party or whether it's paparazzi getting a photo or whether it's a pervert taking photos in a private yard. Then sometimes it's just kids being kids.

While there are far more drone operators following not only the laws and regulations and following basic rules of decency and respect for others, without more control, it will continue to get out of hand and lead to abuses. We have had a drone hover over our boat and we have had one hover over our backyard and pool area. More importantly, they have interfered with aircraft at an increasing pace and they have interfered with fire fighting.

There's a question & answer page at the faa.gov site. It addresses this question specifically.

"Q. If I own multiple drones, do I have to register them all?
A. No. You may register once and apply the same registration number to all your UAS."
I missed this - I stand corrected!

Richard

You said he should fact-check. Clearly you haven't.

I hope we get this registration law up here as well, I assume it's just a matter of time.

There has been lots of close calls at the airport over the last several years. Hope they aren't waiting for a disaster prior to acting.

Although I don't have a problem requiring registration, in many of the reported incidents, the operator is already breaking existing laws. I was thinking of getting a drone, so spent some time looking at the FAA regs. You can't operate them in any controlled airspace. Around an airport the controlled airspace is shaped like a funnel with increasingly large radius at higher altitudes. But the bottom line it that you can't operate at all around an airport, though I don't recall the exact keep-out distance at the altitude a drone would operate.

Away from airports there is an altitude below which air space is uncontrolled, so anyone can fly there. 2000' sticks in my head, but I'm not certain. Perhaps one of the pilots among us knows?There are also specific provisions that allow hobby aircraft, and a drone qualifies as such.

Another interesting element is that the airspace up to 400' is considered part of the property below it. So you own the airspace up to 400' over your property. This will surely come into play as questions of trespass hit he courts. But then again, I think trespass can only be committed by a person, not a thing? Or is it the same when the thing is operated by a person?

Its a very interesting new frontier.

Although I don't have a problem requiring registration, in many of the reported incidents, the operator is already breaking existing laws. I was thinking of getting a drone, so spent some time looking at the FAA regs. You can't operate them in any controlled airspace. Around an airport the controlled airspace is shaped like a funnel with increasingly large radius at higher altitudes. But the bottom line it that you can't operate at all around an airport, though I don't recall the exact keep-out distance at the altitude a drone would operate.

Away from airports there is an altitude below which air space is uncontrolled, so anyone can fly there. 2000' sticks in my head, but I'm not certain. Perhaps one of the pilots among us knows?There are also specific provisions that allow hobby aircraft, and a drone qualifies as such.

Another interesting element is that the airspace up to 400' is considered part of the property below it. So you own the airspace up to 400' over your property. This will surely come into play as questions of trespass hit he courts. But then again, I think trespass can only be committed by a person, not a thing? Or is it the same when the thing is operated by a person?

Its a very interesting new frontier.

The biggest problem in enforcement appears to be identifying and I don't see that they've come up with a solution there yet.

But the bottom line it that you can't operate at all around an airport, though I don't recall the exact keep-out distance at the altitude a drone would operate.

We use a drone for some of our work here at Boeing. The last time I heard the no-fly distance from an airport is five miles. We have done some drone work at our plants which are located next to active airports. We had to get special permission from the FAA and the specific airport tower to use the drone even though we were flying over our own property and not shooting anything directly connected with the airport's operations. If we fly the drone inside our plants we do not need this permission.

But the bottom line it that you can't operate at all around an airport, though I don't recall the exact keep-out distance at the altitude a drone would operate.

We use a drone for some of our work here at Boeing. The last time I heard the no-fly distance from an airport is five miles. We have done some drone work at our plants which are located next to active airports. We had to get special permission from the FAA and the specific airport tower to use the drone even though we were flying over our own property and not shooting anything directly connected with the airport's operations. If we fly the drone inside our plants we do not need this permission.

You are permitted to fly a drone within 5 miles of an airport if you contact the tower (or equivalent) to give advanced notice of your flight. The full list of requirements is given here

https://www.faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft/

I've done this on a number of occasions - flying my drone just over a mile away from an airport. They had no concerns when I indicated that I would be flying below 400'. Note that this is not asking permission, simply informing the airport. That having been said, if they raised an objection for a specific reason at a specific time then I'd willingly delay my flight.

Richard

You are permitted to fly a drone within 5 miles of an airport if you contact the tower (or equivalent) to give advanced notice of your flight. The full list of requirements is given here

https://www.faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft/

I've done this on a number of occasions - flying my drone just over a mile away from an airport. They had no concerns when I indicated that I would be flying below 400'. Note that this is not asking permission, simply informing the airport. That having been said, if they raised an objection for a specific reason at a specific time then I'd willingly delay my flight.

Richard

The new DJI Phantom 3 software which is installed on the smart battery has no fly zones, including airports and stadia, coded into it. It will land the drone if you enter the zone. They have the details on their website.

Privacy will be the concern when the drones are the size of a house fly ,and can transmit video a couple of miles.

Lots of Savoir Fare on your local face book site!

I have nothing to hide, I will proudly stand out back and wave me willy at it!

I have nothing to hide, I will proudly stand out back and wave me willy at it!

Wifey B: How will you feel when that drone overhead fires some bullets or drops some explosives and wipes out your willy? :rofl:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom