Lehman SP 135 Heat Exchanger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bilge53

Vessel Name
M/V Major Award
Vessel Make
Senator 35 w/single Lehman
Quick question; I am having some seepage and will be pulling the endcaps to inpsect (new boat to me). What, if any sealant is used on the flat rubber gaskets? We have the cast end plates not the thin flat ones. She is not overheating now.

Thank you,

Don

Normally you do not use sealant on the end cap gaskets. In fact I lube the gaskets with a little Super Lube to make them less likely to stick the next time I want to take them off.

I have the same type exchanger with cast end caps and don't use any sealant.

Thanks. I was of the school no sealant but wasn't sure I was correct.

How old are the heat exchangers? They are a replacement item on the SP135s. Some suggest every 4-5 years is time. A direct replacement (cupronickel) is less than $500 on-line.

No clue how old exchanger is. Doesn't look bad except for the slight seepage on the rear cap to body seam. Will disassemble and know for sure. The yard where I bought boat a year ago cleaned it before I brought her home. About 280 hours since then.

What year is your engine? I have a 1994 Ford Lehman 135, and I don't think the heat exchanger has been added yet. Might be time. I just bought her this summer.

Sp135

My engine was installed new 1987. The heat exchanger was standard on it.

Back
Top Bottom