Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36
RE: Proper stowage of dingy outboard?

Quote:
markpierce wrote:

Sailor of Fortune wrote:

It seems to me to be a very dangerous way to transport a skiff/dinghy. It amybe alright in inland an sheltered waterways but I wouldn't want to be on the coast with that contraption on my stern.
I would also think it is a violation for a U.S. documented vessel- obstructing hailing port and vessel name.
Per the USCG Documentation Center, "The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. The vessel name of a commercial vessel must also be marked on the port and starboard bow and the vessel name and the hailing port must also be marked on the stern."

So, for recreational boats, the vessel name and hailing port aren't required to be on the stern, but merely on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull.

This is precisely the problem I have with going any distance with the dinghy covering the transom.* I read that regulation to mean that the vessel name and hailing port must be affixed to the hull, and not to the bottom of the dinghy.

I assume that your point is that you can affix the name and hailing port elsewhere, so that the dinghy doesn't*obstruct the view, so long as it is permanantly fixed to the boat (part of the hull).
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote