View Single Post
Old 12-13-2015, 11:58 AM   #17
JDCAVE
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Doggies on board

We follow the same routine as Murray and Kevin. Jenny was a 7-year old when we first brought her aboard. We were getting the boat ready so she had the run of the boat for several days before we left the dock. She was quite nervous the first time we took her in the dinghy, but she quickly realized it was her transportation to shore and it's now an exciting for her. She goes to sleep when we are running places but expects to be on the foredeck when anchoring or docking.

She gets 3 walks a day at home and she gets 3 walks a day when on the boat. Worst case scenario, the "walk" is a rock with a tuft of grass (don't go to Ahclakero Channel). Best case scenario are the beaches the other side of Pruth Bay (West Beach). We limit our legs to 50 nm or about 7-8 hrs. By that time. I've had enough and she's had enough. On only one occasion, (a run from Comox to Nanaimo) she was desperate and Pam was able to get her to poop on a towel. We've had no problems before or since.

Some anchorages are better than others for dogs. And...no alligators! But you need to be not just bear aware but cougar aware and wolf aware as well. Since the close encounter with a cougar, we've leashed Jenny ever since. I was very glad Jenny was on a leash when we encountered the wolf in the Goose Anchorage.

We will probably wait until we are dog less before we make the run to Haida Gwaii.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1450028994.892684.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	47317
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1450029020.358118.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	47318

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum