newbe looking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newbe

Veteran Member
hello i am new to the boating world been reading a lot and have decided that a trawler would suit my life style to a possiable live on and have a lot of grandkids so am looking for a 40 something footer in the 20something thousand price range so i need help in a good brand will be in texas in salt water any help will be apprec. had a new heart valve put in this year 58yrs old life is just too short not to enjoy so im ready for a new adventure thanks for eveyones help in advance sam

Boats for Sale - New and Used Boats and Yachts - YachtWorld.com

Lots of boats, lots of pictures. Learn the different models, layouts. Search in the 35-40K range and make offers for what you can afford until someone bites.

Once you identify a make/model find the owners forum. Read EVERYTHING. Learn what the weak spots are for your choice, and how to look for them.

Don't buy anything unless you have it surveyed. (This is after you have come to an agreement, which includes the right to walk away if the survey reveals serious defects) Paying for a separate engine survey by a competent mechanic is an extra cost, but may pay itself back in spades. (Engines are expensive). Make sure said survey includes a sea trial, oil and coolant analysis and preferably a compression check, although that adds to the hour$.

Happy hunting!

Welcome to the forum! Size to price ratio will make it very difficult to find boats that aren't total projects. You may have better luck walking the docks and looking at boats that have been in dry storage (blocked on land) for quite a while. Many of the <$40,000 boats that you might make a low offer on, won't appear on yachtworld.com as the commission a broker would make for that price range, they may feel doesn't justify their time.

Best of luck with your search!

Ted

A "trawler" might sound romantic ,

but a good sized house boat might fit the budget , the work/repair requirements , and hold a large gathering far better.

looking for a 40 something footer in the 20something thousand price range

Welcome Newbe:

I believe one of your best bets in your search of a vessel within the price range you have, would be found on popyachts.

They deal in smaller range vessels mostly, some biggies as well and mostly older vessels. I seen a number of good looking vessels on there, well good looking by the photos anyways!:rofl:

If you sign up (It's free) they will send you updates on new vessel they have listed as well as price cuts on vessels.

All the best in your search.

Happy cruising.

Cheers

H Foster

Last edited:
does anyone know of any dry docks i could check out texas coast on

Pack a lunch, follow the coast line. Google is your friend.

Most boats your size are in boat yards that use Travel Lifts to plop the boat on stands.

Dry docks are for far far larger vessels.

Reality check..... Your say you have lots of grand kids, the chances of getting a 40' boat for 20k that I would take my grand kids out on are somewhere between zero and slim.

Most boats your size are in boat yards that use Travel Lifts to plop the boat on stands.

Dry docks are for far far larger vessels.

I thought the same thing initially, but I think he was referring to the suggestion to look for boats sitting on the hard in the back of the lot with a faded "For Sale" sign on it that don't make it to Yacht World...... I think his question was where to find these "dry docked" boats.

yes thats what i meant thanks as for not taking your grandkids out one depends on how well you like your grandkids:):)

There is that perfect boat out there. It is that one that is large enough to allow private space for both the Captain and the Admiral. It has just enough staterooms to comfortably sleep your friends and relatives that only choose to visit over the 4th. of July weekend. It is small enough to "sip" fuel and fast enough to out-run approaching storm systems. It has a fly-bridge for those fantastic, mild, sunny days and a pilothouse with 360 degree visibility for those days when Mother Nature does not cooperate. It has a sun-pad for the deck-fluff girls that ask you for a nice place to lay out. It is a submarine that goes deep enough beneath the surface to avoid the rollers and the chop. Although it cost a premium to buy, it will always appreciate in value and the prior owner had stored enough parts that you will never need to purchase systems or parts that fail. It is a very salty looking small ship that seems to scream: "Inside passage!" as you look at it, but is pretty enough that some assume it was of Italian design. It is made of heavy steel, which neither dents nor rusts and has the fluid maneuverability to slide into any slip no matter how narrow, and at other times is tough enough to move between pilings like Adrian Peterson moves between linebackers. And there is always bread cooking in the galley .....

the deck -fluff girls was the most important part of that post were can they be had

gmatok.gif

I know you said trawler but I think your budget is probably a limiting factor here. Have you considered a production express cruiser? Sea Rays, Rinkers, Cruisers, Bayliners from the early 90s and late 80s would approach your price range and the gas I/Os would generally be easier and cheaper to work on provided they are in decent condition. There is a reason these boats depreciate like they do but if you are looking to take the kids out occasionally it will do the trick - not a live aboard or long distance cruising boat though. If live aboard is a necessity than a houseboat would be the best as said above but again would not be a cruising boat other than around the bay/lake.

The other thing to consider - I spent more cash one summer in maintenance and fuel on an old woody chris craft than it would have sold for (and approaching your desired purchase price). Fuel is a variable expense but maintenance is not nor is slip rent (which for liveaboards can approach decent apartment kind of money). If you drop 25-35k on a boat tomorrow do you have 10k coming in over the next 6-12 months to keep it up.

Greetings,
Mr. n. Post #18 was in direct response to post #16, NOT a comment on your quest at all. You will soon find that any boat is a compromise. How much and in what areas you will have to compromise is really up to you. I feel confident that if you search enough, a boat will find you (that's usually how it works).

more than likely will be in port isabel tx and loved the video of days gone by:)

still looking

Good. Lots and lots of good info on this forum, as well as some very knowledgeable people. You got some very mild hazing, but it was all good humored, and should not deter you from continuing to both look for your boat, and to ask questions.

i am thick skin dont let much get to me except for the wife then my skin is awful thin and hers is thinner when i talk about a boat so it all evens out

Greetings,
Mr. n. "...hers is thinner when i talk about a boat..." Hmmmm....Well, the only constructive suggestion I can give you is she had better be on board regarding a boat purchase or you'll have to fit all the grand kids into a canoe.

3796295538_477aea23d3_z.jpg

as far as the wife i tell her i will be her captain and you will be my beautiful sea hag:):)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom