Touching up damaged powdercoating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carey

Guru
Vessel Name
Happy Destiny
Vessel Make
Custom Lobster Yacht
Powdercoating experts to the front please.

Does anyone have experience touching up damaged powdercoat? If it were a part easily removed from my boat, I would take it off and have the powdercoat redone from scratch, but that would not be practical.

This is the major drawback to powder-coating. I would call a powder-coating shop and ask them for their repair advice. I do know that it is very important to fix the crack, chip, or ding asap because if the metal underneath begins to corrode (aluminum) or rust (steel) this will spread fast and continue to lift more and more of the coating. I believe this is why powder coating is not usually recommended for items that are likely to get a lot of physical wear or abuse.

I'm sure there is at least one recommended repair procedure but I have no clue what it is. You could also try Googling the question, too.

If you find out, let us know since many of us have powder-coated items on our boats.

A buddy suggests "refrigerator paint".* I haven't tried it, but it seems to have done a decent job on some of his gear.* My upper helm is aluminum, with some powder-coating damage, and this has been on my to-do list.

-- Edited by RCook on Thursday 27th of January 2011 09:39:59 AM

Back
Top Bottom