Backup camera recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bay Pelican

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Bay Pelican
Vessel Make
Krogen 42
I have gone through the past threads (through 2014) and have not found a backup camera that meets my needs. Perhaps someone would know of one.

I would like to have this camera display on my existing 14" monitors at the pilot house helm. The connections thus would be either directly to the monitor or to either the computer (desktop/Windows) or the Furuno black box unit.

Preference would be:
Wireless
12v if possible
greater than 100 degrees field of vision
black and white is ok

Night vision is unnecessary

Any suggestions or leads?

I would say a screaming wife yelling at you would be the wrong backup aid. The guy a couple slips down from me always looks so drained after they dock. :)

Great thread, Marty. I'm looking for the same camera with reverse video.

Depth of field/focal length? 100 ft or more with good resolution would be nice.

Field of view? 135 degrees is probably all I need, but closer to 180 degrees would be nice.

I'd like to be able to connect to my helm android tablet or windows laptop via bluetooth or wifi. Running an app with a 1 hr loop for fishing video capture would be fun, but maybe that's asking too much.

I've looked online at some of the dashboard video systems that are being marketed today that many in other parts of the world (like Russia) use routinely. It's hard to tell if they have the performance and stoutness needed for maritime use. Most I've seen use a dedicated video monitor of dubious quality.

Marty. I have a backup camera on my KK42 (rear view CCTV) . Its on the mast about 2/3's of the way up and at the same height as the radar. For the most part I use it when for vessels that are coming up on my stern. While I have it on full screen when docking from the pilothouse, I mostly rely on my wife's instructions as to distances from vessels and structures during that procedure.

Remember the wider the camera angle, the greater the distortion and the harder it is to judge distance. If you are using it for docking that is a consideration. I'd rather have a "normal" lens for that situation.

I'd be concerned about real-time feedback if your using a wireless connection.

My Ford Edge has a backward-facing camera when going in reverse. It's handy dandy. Nevertheless, I've seen no need on my boat for such, but if one doesn't have stern-wise vision without a camera, that's another matter. Amazing how small those cameras are.

As I explained on another thread my real reason for the backup camera is so I can dock forward in from the pilot house. Works fine except that with the Krogen 42 you are blind from the rear so that if you have to abort you have no backward vision.

I am interested in this one too. I have a slip where I have to lever against the dock to spin 90 degrees to get out. I have to watch I don't bump the swimgrid too hard.

I wanted wireless - for simplicity.

I tried a consumer grade wireless cam - i think dLink. It worked well but the field of view was too narrow as I need over 100 degrees. (Installing it up high the view of the stern is obstructed).

I also tried a wireless GoPro, but the wireless delay was over 2 seconds, so not that useful.

Both were fine for spotting traffic behind and keeping an eye on the dinghy under tow, but no good for backing up.

Anybody have recommendations on a wireless, wide angle camera with no delay?

with the Krogen 42 you are blind from the rear so that if you have to abort you have no backward vision.

How about a nicely placed bronze port ?

Far less maint than electric stuff.

with the Krogen 42 you are blind from the rear so that if you have to abort you have no backward vision.

How about a nicely placed bronze port ?

Far less maint than electric stuff.

Thanks. There is already a port, however, the height of the port is determined by the height of the upper deck over the saloon. The port is three inches above the upper deck and five to six feet above the sole of the pilot house. Because of the height of the port and the length of the upper deck no useful backward vision is provided.

All boats are compromises and this is one of the downsides of the Krogen 42. Because of that I have almost always docked from the upper helm where I have 360 degree vision.

I have several Dlink wireless cameras onboard. I can view them from my laptop.

If I wanted good rearward visibility I'd just use three of them. Center Port and Starboard. Put all three images up on the screen side by side.

If I wanted good rearward visibility I'd just use three of them. Center Port and Starboard. Put all three images up on the screen side by side.

That is a good idea. Do you have any suggestion to create the mirror images that the OP wants? I am pretty sure I have seen simple signal processing devices for that purpose.

That is a good idea. Do you have any suggestion to create the mirror images that the OP wants? I am pretty sure I have seen simple signal processing devices for that purpose.

I don't know of a way to do a mirror image. If you point the cameras so that there are visual reference points at the edge of the image like for example the edge of the cockpit then you'll very quickly develop situational awareness and the images will tend to make more sense.

Kevin

Do the Dlink cameras require an internet connection in order to connect to them, or can you connect to them if they are on the same wireless network without the internet connection?

Tom

Kevin

Do the Dlink cameras require an internet connection in order to connect to them, or can you connect to them if they are on the same wireless network without the internet connection?

Tom

You can connect to them directly by pointing your browser to their IP address

Blue Iris allows mirroring, flipping, etc of images.

Keith

After looking in the costs and technical aspects of a wireless system I decided to bite the bullet and go with a wired system. Purchased a Boyo VTD300 MA marine camera and a Safesight 7" monitor.

While fishing the video cable (and 12v cables) from the stern to the pilot house will be time consuming, once done the potential for problems/interference/delays will be reduced.

I'll be very interested in hearing how you like the setup, Marty. I'll look for that model online.

Installation will be in January as we don't go to the boat until New Year's Eve. This will probably be project six.

Many large trucks use a combo of dash cam and rear cam, .

Built tough and water resistant and in the $150. range .

The recording of the unit might come in handy?

I use this one, Installed for 3+ years and works great.

Plug and play with most any plotter with vid input.

Color Waterproof Marine Camera with Reversed Image,
3.6mm Wide Angle Lens, White Housing

• 3.6mm wide angle lens
• 600 TV lines of resolution
• Waterproof: can stand up to extreme elements and full immersion in water
• Attractive housing: white to blend in with your surroundings
• Stainless steel white mount & screws; will not rust
• Great for marine applications: compatible with plotters that accept composite video inputs
• IP67 compliant
• 12VDC / 24VAC dual voltage operation
• 5 year warranty

cvc627mr_l.jpg

http://www.specotech.com/index.php/products/video/cameras/analog/item/587-cvc627mr

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom