Stupid docking decision

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have electric thrusters also. One thing I did when we were new to the boat was lean on the thrusters and count how long till the thermal switch tripped. Every time I use the thrusters I'm counting in my head. I use 1/2 of that test count as the "normal" max when I need the thrusters, knowing I can go a bit more but that I'm running out of time quickly.

In general I come no where close to running the thrusters that long at all, but it's something I got used to doing.

We have electric thrusters also. One thing I did when we were new to the boat was lean on the thrusters and count how long till the thermal switch tripped. Every time I use the thrusters I'm counting in my head. I use 1/2 of that test count as the "normal" max when I need the thrusters, knowing I can go a bit more but that I'm running out of time quickly.

In general I come no where close to running the thrusters that long at all, but it's something I got used to doing.

My thruster is run by cables as big as my thumb. I've never had a thermal shut-down no matter how long I run it... 20+ year old Wesmar. A solid installation with proper cabling is key..

Last edited:
Some marinas discourage docking bow in because it often results in pulpits and anchors hanging over the dock and becoming hazards to people walking on the dock.

No one seems to mind if my pulpit and anchors hang over the dock (I'm 6' tall) :)

10115-albums347-picture2186.jpg

My thruster is run by cables as big as my thumb. I've never had a thermal shut-down no matter how long I run it... 20+ year old Wesmar. A solid installation with proper cabling is key..

I assure you there is no installation issue with it. This is how they are by design. The manual states that the max design continuous run time is 3 minutes for our model. And yes like you the cable runs to them are with some of, if not the, thickest wires onboard. Definitely thicker than my fingers.

Speculating here, but I think there may be a practical limit where installing hydraulic thrusters make better design sense than electrical ones. I know ours is the largest Selene with electric ones. The next model up is only 2" longer and it comes with hydraulic ones.

In less than 30 seconds, I can do a 360-degree turn with a 24-volt bow thruster. Who needs two minutes! Haven't yet had the need for continuous thruster use.

It takes us a bit longer than that, but not much. And I agree normally we hit them for a second or two here and there. But referencing the OP the point is you really can't rely on electric thrusters to hold the boat against wind or current indefinitely, as you can with hydraulic ones

No one seems to mind if my pulpit and anchors hang over the dock (I'm 6' tall) :)

10115-albums347-picture2186.jpg

Great photo, Richard! If you didn't post you were 6 ft tall, many might think you were 3 1/2'! Gotta come by and see her some day!

Sometimes coming into a dock with difficult winds/currents you just have to admit to yourself .... "I can't get there from here" and go somewhere else. Experience will help you come to that conclusion early enough to avoid damage (to boat or ego).

I,ve found that using a 1700 series Morse single lever throttle/gear/bow thruster control far easier for handling at close quarters and docking much simpler than any other control system
Talk to Parks at Hopcar Marine for more information.
If your,e buying a bow thruster go one size up, you,ll never regret the extra power.

Sometimes coming into a dock with difficult winds/currents you just have to admit to yourself .... "I can't get there from here" and go somewhere else. Experience will help you come to that conclusion early enough to avoid damage (to boat or ego).

Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom