Cleaning/degreasing engines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duvie

I am removing and servicing the multicoolers on my Perkins T6.354 engines and I would like to clean up and paint the engines while I have the multicoolers out of the way. The boat is on the hard for the winter up in the northeast so temperatures will be cool/cold. I am looking for ideas or products that work best for this work.

Attachments

• IMG_2651.jpg
    IMG_2651.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 176
Degrease multiple times with Spray9 or similar.
Treat with Ospho to harden surface rust.
Two coats of Petit Rust Lock primer paint.
Two coats of your desired top coat.

I cleaned grease pretty well with Simple Green.

The paint color That was close enough for me was just off-the-shelf Ford Blue engine paint from auto parts stores. REALLY close. Not the classic blue... just the regular.

I cleaned grease pretty well with Simple Green.

The paint color That was close enough for me was just off-the-shelf Ford Blue engine paint from auto parts stores. REALLY close. Not the classic blue... just the regular.

I believe it is called Old Ford Blue.

A few steps up (and it includes a mild acid) would be a product called Hot Stuff that is available locally at the Napa. We usually dilute it 1:1 and then spray it on with a pump up garden sprayer. Only use it if you plan on repainting as it will streak and possibly remove some of your original paint.

Oh- and there's always the needle scaler approach.....

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I use brake parts cleaner to degrease. It will streak the old paint but you are repainting. Old Ford blue is what I used on my Perkins 4-236's. It's pretty close.

Kevin

I've used carpet glue remover with good results. It will remove some of the paint. Also used a small propane torch on cast iron, then a wire brush on a drill. The needle scailer is really good for getting all the paint and rust off. I normally will take an engine down to just the basics and main components to repaint. Then install all new hoses and good stainless clamps. I cant stand the look of a "rattle can overhaul" especially one with overspray on hoses and stringers. I also use an epoxy primer then a good polyurethane top coat, like Fulthane from O'rielly's. They can mix any color you want. Then you've got a really good looking engine and it will stay that way.

I just did a very similar project. I have a domestic hot water tank inboard. I replaced the shower hose with a garden hose so I could use hot water when rinsing the engine (it's very hot). I started with some Gunk and a variety of brushes. A stiff 2" paint brush is good for some areas, and toothbrush-sized nylon and brass brushes in other areas. After the gunk I hosed it down with the hot water and used full-strength citrus degreaser with the brushes again in some areas, then another hot water rinse. The citrus is good because it removes the oily residue from the gunk which would inhibit the primer from sticking.

I used plastic with hose clamps to protect the intakes and exhaust, but first stuffed a clean rag into each. When I pulled off the plastic the rags were damp.

But now it's all beautiful blue. For the topcoat I used Rustoleum Maui Blue. It's pretty close to the original Perkins color.

While you have the cooler out, I would recommend cleaning the inside of the plumbing. I found a ton of crud on both the fresh and raw water sides. You might check out my post on this, and how to get the brown slime out of the block: http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s6/perkins-t6-354-best-practice-22543-6.html

Last edited:
I did my engines with Simple green and lots of rags. They weren't that bad but it still went faster than I thought it would. A nice coat of Rustoleum and they look great.

Ken

Attachments

• IMG_1213_1.JPG
    IMG_1213_1.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 153
Nice! (time to hang some art down there)

I did my engines with Simple green and lots of rags. They weren't that bad but it still went faster than I thought it would. A nice coat of Rustoleum and they look great.

Ken

Nice looking Twins! Gotta love those Lehman 135's ;).

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Back
Top Bottom