Best beer is from the US

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I happen to have varied tastes in beers, and like different beers at different times. But in general, if I could have only one beer for the rest of my life (thank God I don't have to make that choice!), it would be Flying Dog, Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale. MMMM!

DoggieStyleBottle_2015.png

Had this beer out of Utah, it is good, not great, but the name and the label, I think, are a big seller.ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1448898322.554895.jpg

Had this beer out of Utah, it is good, not great, but the name and the label, I think, are a big seller.View attachment 46974

Now THATs funny, don't care who ya are.....:D I would try that one. I have come to love Porters and Stouts, especially during the winter. During the summer i still like Porters but generally prefer Pale Ales and reds (or browns). I do not care for "hoppy" beers so have no love for IPAs even tho they seem to be preferred by most others. Deschutes Black Butte Porter seems to be my "go to" Porter. Brewed in Oregon and available most places around the Pacific North West.

Marty.....................

While there are many great beers in various regions, I gotta believe the highest concentration of great beers is in Bend, OR (which is where Marty's favorite Deschutes is home-based). If you see it's made in Bend, give it a try and you won't be disappointed. Noticeably, women in Seattle primarily drink wine and women in Bend primarily drink beer. Its that good that my wife will even pass up a glass of wine for a beer from Bend.

While there are many great beers in various regions, I gotta believe the highest concentration of great beers is in Bend, OR (which is where Marty's favorite Deschutes is home-based). If you see it's made in Bend, give it a try and you won't be disappointed. Noticeably, women in Seattle primarily drink wine and women in Bend primarily drink beer. Its that good that my wife will even pass up a glass of wine for a beer from Bend.

Bend is a great little town and definitely worth a visit. And they love their beer. See the link for more info:

http://beermebend.com/bend-craft-beer-festivals/

Came across this blast from the past (about 40 years in my case). 8.5% alc/vol ... yeah :socool:

Looks like a road trip to Oregon is in order. Although I did go to a micro beer fair in Portland back in 1997

Attachments

• beer porter.jpg
    beer porter.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Sadly one question every boater should ask,

How does it taste not very cold?

"or keep them overboard in your crab trap"

Just my point about cool not cold taste.

"or keep them overboard in your crab trap"

Just my point about cool not cold taste.

Actually I can say that most porters I have tried are fine at room temp (as long as room temp is below about 60). I never tried one "warm" but have had them as warm as mid- to high-sixties. Specifically I prefer Deschutes Black Butte Porter in the 45°-55° range. It is fine out of the fridge as well but I usually keep mine on the aft deck during the winter (except when below freezing). Tastiest is right around 45°.

Marty.........................

Bend is a great little town and definitely worth a visit. And they love their beer. See the link for more info:

Bend Craft Beer Festivals | Bend Oregon Craft Beer | Beer me Bend!

There are also several great breweries in the Denver, CO area -- Denver, Boulder, Longmont, Fort Collins... Home of Oskar Blues, New Belgium (Fat Tire), Left Hand, and several others, not to mention Coors for you "light" beer lovers. I've "toured" several of them on my trips to CO.

Everybody has their favorites, but for any IPA lovers looking for recommendations my absolute FAVORITE beer is Sweetwater IPA, brewed in Atlanta. Nicely hoppy and very flavorful, but not too bitter. Someone mentioned Ballast Point: I'm not a fan of beers brewed with fruit, but the Ballast Point Grapefruit IPA is especially nice from the tap (for some reason, it's not as good from the can).

World Class! Beer: Fresh Squeezed IPA from Deschutes. Dinner: open face turkey with fresh cranberry sauce, mayo, avocado, Brie, under the broiler. Fire in the background. Ready to meet my maker!

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1451185366.245014.jpg

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Beer Camp ... sounds like a place you get sent to, if you've been "good" :D

Well, in a way, it is! My sentence starts June 18th in San Francisco.

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co

Last year's version of Beer Camp beer was very different than this year's. It changes each year in craft beer fashion.

Went down to Point Roberts to pick up a new fishing PFD and picked up a 1/2 sack of Slow Ride.
I think I got thrown off a bit by the mention of "Belgium" in the name. Anyway not bad, but a bit too grape fruity for me.

Attachments

• beer.jpg
    beer.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 62
Things definitely been getting better. Seems like a new craft brewery pops up somewhere every day. And I have no problem with it.

Just had a New Belgium Ranger IPA last night for the first time. If you like an IPA with a lot of hop nose, this one is REALLY good!

This year's Beer Camp Tropical IPA from Sierra Nevada is incredible. It's a limited edition, but one worth finding IMO. I just found it by the case at Costco for a buck a bottle. It's got a crisp, clean, fresh hops accent...almost like a breath of hops. Very unique and refreshing.

I picked up some of these a couple weeks ago and really liked it. I'll be buying more if I can find it again.

Hold fire until you have had New Zealand beers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A recent post by an Aussie made me think...
The only beer I ever had at sea was Foster's courtesy of the Australian Navy.
After they sunk my ship. It came in a bigger can and had more alcohol than what I was use to (I figured out later). But it was a good beer.

Attachments

• fosters.jpg
    fosters.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 203
A recent post by an Aussie made me think...
The only beer I ever had at sea was Foster's courtesy of the Australian Navy.
After they sunk my ship. It came in a bigger can and had more alcohol than what I was use to (I figured out later). But it was a good beer.

Were you on the USS Evans by any chance? It's bad enough that we sunk you, but to give you Fosters is adding insult to injury. Actually I shouldn't make too light of that, as I think about 60 sailors were lost in that accident. We had some family friends who were posted to HMAS Melbourne over the years, one was onboard when the Melbourne sunk the Voyager, another bad accident.

Wifey B: All this beer talk. All I know about beer is I don't like it. :D Let me know when we get ready to talk Champagne. ;)

We have some great breweries in San Diego. My current favorite is ballast point.

Wifey B: All this beer talk. All I know about beer is I don't like it. :D Let me know when we get ready to talk Champagne. ;)
Well the U.S. does not make "Champagne" so that's out!

Well the U.S. does not make "Champagne" so that's out!

We are speaking "sparkling wine." Champagne comes only from a particular part of France.

Start your own Champagne thread. I'm ready to poke fun. :rolleyes:

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom