View Single Post
Old 12-10-2015, 08:34 AM   #321
VicTrawler

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Halcyon I
Vessel Model: 1984 36' Universal Europa Sedan
Been almost a week since the last post. We're still in Ensenada and much more comfortable (but not too comfortable!) in Cruiseport. When we went out to Islas Todos Santos I stumbled across the Ensenada Cruisers net on VHF 69 which meets daily at 0800. We now check in on the net daily and have met all sorts of great people as a result. We're going for Spanish lessons this morning with some other cruisers and this evening we'll be attending a "yacht club" meeting (dinner).

Through the net I also learned about the CanMex net on HF SSB. I've also started to check in there at 0730 to become more comfortable with operating the radio so that we'll be familiar with routine and emergency comms procedures as we meander down the Baja coast. Terry Sparks, himself, actually came down to the boat yesterday to program my ICOM 802 with the ideal channel configuration. He also gave me a quick tutorial on DSC calling and tested the radio to ensure my installation was correct. What a privilege to have the guru of the 802 on our boat!

Next window for departure appears to be no earlier than next Wednesday, the 16th. Some pretty big swells out there and we're supposed to get a good blow, maybe even rain, tomorrow.
VicTrawler is offline   Reply With Quote