Miss OSB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Broken link?

Impressive....
30562-trivia-pursuit-photo-round-yf1.jpg

30563-trivia-pursuit-photo-round-yf2.jpg

30564-trivia-pursuit-photo-round-yf3.jpg

30565-trivia-pursuit-photo-round-yf4.jpg

30566-trivia-pursuit-photo-round-yf5.jpg

30567-trivia-pursuit-photo-round-yf6.jpg

Isn't a stern like that called a Tumble Home?

SD

Yes, it is a tumblehome transom....absolutely gorgeous lines. That is one heck of a beautiful boat- wish there were some interior shots?

Tumblehome was originally used on sailing ships, to thwart enemy sailors or pirates from boarding your vessel - the ships gunnels would be much further apart, and if someone tried to jump - and missed - they would tumble home - winding up crushed between hulls or in the water between the ships.

Tumblehome is also used to reduce the upper weight of a vessel.

Miss OSB is stored one boat over from Moonstruck in the large indoor storage facility at Gasparilla Marina.* Moonstruck is 2nd boat to the right.* Miss OSB is a pretty boat that I feel like I paid for at least a part of.* We have bought many car loads of OSB.

Miss%20OSB%20cabin%20top.jpg

Don-
Very cool connection! I imagine she is as pretty, perhaps even more pretty, in person than in pictures. The dingy davit looks a little out of place with all the exterior wood but what a great looking boat.

Woodsong wrote:

Don-
Very cool connection! I imagine she is as pretty, perhaps even more pretty, in person than in pictures. The dingy davit looks a little out of place with all the exterior wood but what a great looking boat.
She sits on a custom trailer that costs more than many cruisers.* It is set up so that the overtheroad truck can back her in a very tight radius.* She is built with such a low profile because the owner has low bridges around his home in the North.

Pictures of the marina are making me homesick.* I was supposed to be cruising now, but things have held me in town for a few weeks.* Hopefully, a nice long cruise after this.

But Don, the weather up in Chatt is so wonderful right now! :)

I am starting to feel like spring will NEVER get here.

One of those pictures of Miss OSB in the water*was made in front of Trawler Forum member's boat Reef Drifter owned by Bob and Arlene Paxton.**

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Wednesday 26th of January 2011 04:17:53 PM

Nicely reminiscent of the great commuter yachts of the 1920's-30's. Here is Aphrodite, a Purdy which was "restored" (everything is new except for a token leftover piece) by Brooklin (Maine) Boat Yard fairly recently (she burns about 165gph per engine at WOT). Also, Liberty, a modern reincarnation of a Purdy built by Hodgdon Yachts. And some of the Consolidated commuter yachts of that era, without the bustle transom, were similar in theme.

Attachments

• aphro1.jpg
    aphro1.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 220
  • aphro2.jpg
    aphro2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 217
  • liberty.jpg
    liberty.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 230
dwhatty wrote:

Nicely reminiscent of the great commuter yachts of the 1920's-30's. Here is Aphrodite, a Purdy which was "restored" (everything is new except for a token leftover piece) by Brooklin (Maine) Boat Yard fairly recently (she burns about 165gph per engine at WOT). Also, Liberty, a modern reincarnation of a Purdy built by Hodgdon Yachts. And some of the Consolidated commuter yachts of that era, without the bustle transom, were similar in theme.
Absolutely gorgeous.* Looks like a New York Yacht Club pennant on the bow.

Moonstruck wrote:

dwhatty wrote:

Absolutely gorgeous.* Looks like a New York Yacht Club pennant on the bow.
Could be. Not a member in this life. Owner owns a big hotel in RI.

That is a really impressive boat.* Using OSB in this way just proves that you can make something beautiful from anything if your mind is determined.

Delfin wrote:

That is a really impressive boat.* Using OSB in this way just proves that you can make something beautiful from anything if your mind is determined.
When you stand off from it it looks like mahogany.* I'm not sure of the finish, but it looks like Bristol and many, many coats.* Beautifully finished boat.

dwhatty wrote:

Here is Aphrodite, a Purdy....Also, Liberty, a modern reincarnation of a Purdy built by Hodgdon Yachts.
Now THAT is what I consider top-notch marine aesthetics.* I'm not sure I've ever seen more good-looking boats.* What are they powered with?

Marin wrote:

dwhatty wrote:

Here is Aphrodite, a Purdy....Also, Liberty, a modern reincarnation of a Purdy built by Hodgdon Yachts.
Now THAT is what I consider top-notch marine aesthetics.* I'm not sure I've ever seen more good-looking boats.* What are they powered with?
Took this from a Web news release article re Aphprodite:

"Original power was a pair of 800 HP V12 Packards that moved the boat faster than its contract speed of' 38 MPH. These engines were replaced by 1350 HP Packards and there followed 1500 HP Packards when the government took the boat over in 1942. Supposedly, it did 60 MPH with those engines and it became the pace-setter for all PT boats built during World War II. Later engines included 275 HP Hall-Scotts, 275 HP GM diesels and lastly, 350 HP V8 Crusaders. A final all-out run just before the start of restoration reached 25 knots and caused an engine to blow!
"A pair of new Caterpillar C-18 diesels "painted black with plenty of chrome," each rated at 1001 HP, has now been installed for maximum reliability. A new variable speed reduction gear has also been installed so that at low engine RPM, the boat won't be doing eleven knots (theoretical speed at the normal operating [lowest] ratio of 1.03). The engines will be electronically controlled and the control units are being modified so that the original helm controls can still be used. Top speed is predicted to be an impressive 41 knots!"
Liberty seems to have Man V-12s but don't know the HP. Here's a* link to her builder's page on her with some interior pics: Liberty

Aphrodite was "restored" at a local yard owned by a friend and managed by another friend. The team leader on this boat and the electrician are also friends. I went over numerous times to look at her during the work. The bummer is that, when they took her out on sea trials several times after relaunching, I was told that I could come along. But each time they went I could not due to clients' needs. I have gotten to go out on some of the other boats they have built and restored, but nothing that stirred my juices like this one.

-- Edited by dwhatty on Thursday 27th of January 2011 08:12:47 AM

Looks like Miss OSB has surface drives????

dwhatty wrote:... it became the pace-setter for all PT boats built during World War II.

That statement is not correct, but thanks for the engine info.* Very impressive boat.* By the way, the V-12 Packard marine engine (4M-2500) used in the PTs in 1942 developed 1200 hp.* The output was raised later in the war to 1500 hp.

Unless Aphrodite is extremely light, I would be somewhat suspicious of that 60 mph claim.* Popular legend at the time had PTs going 70 mph with three of the 4M-2500s but the truth was that the boats when brand new out of the factory before being loaded down with military gear did about 45 mph tops.* They were much slower in the combat theatres, one reason PT crews were so afraid of Japanese destroyers.* The destroyers could chase and catch a PT fairly easiy, particulary one that had been in the combat theatre for awhile.

Marin wrote:

dwhatty wrote:... it became the pace-setter for all PT boats built during World War II.

That statement is not correct

Have no idea if it is or isn't. I merely quoted an article I found.

Baker wrote:

Looks like Miss OSB has surface drives????
Big jet drives.* Rumor has it that she will do 50 mph.* You know how rumors are, no conformation.* Like Moonstruck she stays in the building until the owner comes down to cruise.* They*have to pull*Miss OSB*out on the trailer and lift it off with a travel lift.** Moonstruck scales at 34,000# loaded.* The marina's 40,000# forklift can barely lift it because of the weight of the big diesels amidship.

dwhatty wrote:

Marin wrote:dwhatty wrote:... it became the pace-setter for all PT boats built during World War II.
That statement is not correct

Have no idea if it is or isn't. I merely quoted an article I found.

No worries.* I understood what you were doing.* I wasn't implying you yourself were wrong, I was just trying to correct the misinformation.
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom