How do you get a boat back from out of state?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cool beans

Vessel Make
Bayliner 3870
I guess, typically. . .how much does it cost to truck ship or hire a captain to run a boat from New Hampshire or Florida to Virginia? Is it worth it? What about great lakes boats? Is there a size limit?

Just thinking out loud. . .local boats have kind of fizzled out, starting to expand the search.

Thanks!

Greetings,
Mr. cb. Can't help you with cost estimates but why not do it yourself on her own bottom? Lotsa fun!

"I guess, typically. . .how much does it cost to truck ship or hire a captain to run a boat from New Hampshire or Florida to Virginia? Is it worth it? What about great lakes boats? Is there a size limit?"

I agree with RTF above - move it yourself under its own bottom but there are options of using a captain if time does not allow.
Running on its own bottom will be dependent upon the mileage the boat gets and the speed selected. We moved a boat from Fla to NY and it was about 1,200 miles so just figure the cost of fuel times estimated mileage. Captains will vary dependent upon the exact trip length and dropping off costs but figure plane ticket(s) for one or two and expenses plus the fee and meals for them.
Great lakes boats can be moved just as easily save for the added distance and canal fees and size is not an issue mainly just height. As this is a cursory look for you figure if needed you can move any boat from the great lakes as long as its under about 19' clear. Draft comes into play if you plan on running the entire canal system.
Good luck and hope this gets you started

I guess, typically. . .how much does it cost to truck ship or hire a captain to run a boat from New Hampshire or Florida to Virginia? Is it worth it? What about great lakes boats? Is there a size limit?

Just thinking out loud. . .local boats have kind of fizzled out, starting to expand the search.

Thanks!

As others said, my favored way is to run it yourself, even if it takes months or a year to get it home. May be your best chance of seeing some areas.

No as to truck shipping, that's going to vary a lot based on size and structure, but figure $15,000 to $40,000 ball park.

As to a captain, figure a minimum of $300/day and depending on the boat, add in a mate. So from a low of $300 to a high of $450 with mate. Also, figure their air fare to and from. The number of days is obviously very dependent on speed. From Fort Lauderdale to Norfolk is 925 nm inside and 747 outside. It can take as few as four days or as long as 7 or 8. With a boat that only reaches 7 or 8 knots you'd be talking 10 to 12 days.

From the Great Lakes, first it depends on which lake, but more it depends on whether the boat clears 20' and can take the canals. From Chicago to Oswego is 1,045 nm and from Buffalo to Oswego only 200. Oswego to NYC you're talking close to 400 nm but it's a slow trip. Now if you can't take the Erie and have to go up the St. Lawrence and around, you can add another thousand miles or so plus you need to be able to handle rougher seas. However, if you can't navigate the Erie, then you probably can handle the other route.

So, Florida is fairly easy, the Great lakes longer and how much longer depends on where on the lakes.

My philosophy has been whereever the boat is, it's already there. So you saved half the trip to go cruise that area. Looking that way it's not additional cost, it's reduced cost if you cruise yourself. Looking at the worst case you presented of Chicago. If you pick the boat up there and cruise home you're talking a total of 1700-1800 nm getting it home. Well, to take a trip cruising to Chicago would be 3400-3600 nm.

Take a Florida boat and let's say you only have a couple of weeks at a time you can cruise. Divide it up into 4 trips or even more. The only added cost you incur is airfare's home and back to the boat.

Take a Florida boat and let's say you only have a couple of weeks at a time you can cruise. Divide it up into 4 trips or even more. The only added cost you incur is airfare's home and back to the boat.

That's what we did from Galveston, TX to NJ. Glad we did, it was well worth it.

A Great Lakes boat departing down river mid May is the plan I'd follow. Lots of nice boats around St Louis too. I know a few capable people that once you find the vessel can indeed deliver to FL. Get the right vessel and then the best way will show up based upon size, schedule and destination.

Right now I am at my slip in BC. In front of me is a friend's 57 Carver. It was purchased in MI and trucked to Seattle. Anything is possible.

That's what we did from Galveston, TX to NJ. Glad we did, it was well worth it.

Wifey B: Ok, I know this sounds silly and my hubby won't come out and say it, but we just don't want our boat going anywhere we don't get to go with it. Like we'd be jealous of it. Like yours could have been. "Oh my boat was in Galveston, New Orleans, Mobile, Clearwater....no..no..I've never been to those places." We take partial trips all the time. A few weeks, leave the boat somewhere, fly home for a bit and back. The trip home is one you might not get to repeat for years.

$5.00 per mile will put you in the ball park.

David

Wifey B: Ok, I know this sounds silly and my hubby won't come out and say it, but we just don't want our boat going anywhere we don't get to go with it.

Besides the experience of being places you may otherwise not see, there's the learning curve for a new boat, which an extended trip will help speed up. Lastly, if I'm on the boat, I know how it's being handled, how systems are being monitored, etc..yes i would rather my boat go places with me than without me :)

Besides the experience of being places you may otherwise not see, there's the learning curve for a new boat, which an extended trip will help speed up. Lastly, if I'm on the boat, I know how it's being handled, how systems are being monitored, etc..yes i would rather my boat go places with me than without me :)

I'd do a shake down cruise first in the area I was buying the boat. Then, head out on it, find out any problems early on this long trip. Worst thing that happens is you have to either spend a few extra days somewhere on the way or you have to leave it somewhere you didn't plan and return home. Either way you're learning it early and fixing any issues. By the time you get it home you'll know it so well and have worked through any major issues it's going to have. Hopefully that's none and all goes well.

Truck shipping, this depends on the boat, much more so then any other way of transporting the boat. Truck shipment mounts if the boat requires the flyingbridge to be removed, or if the boat exceeds the width requirements of highway transportation so that a chase car is required.

I moved a 30' Willard from Mobile, AL to Lake Michigan fairly cheaply as if fit on a low boy trailer and a chase car was not needed.

Thanks!

It will cost far more than what you might save by not buying locally. You have the entire Chesapeake Bay to find a boat that you can bring home in a few days.

If you can't find one you like, ask a broker to find you one.

If you're not comfortable moving the boat yourself, you could always try starting a thread "Help wanted moving my new boat. Willing to pay round trip air fare, food and beer". Probably get more offers than you would know what to do with.

Ted

If you're not comfortable moving the boat yourself, you could always try starting a thread "Help wanted moving my new boat. Willing to pay round trip air fare, food and beer". Probably get more offers than you would know what to do with.

Ted

Heck, I'll see that and raise it: I fly free, you'd fly cheap. Don't eat a whole lot. Do like my beer though.:D

Still working, a lot. . .not able to take off long swaths of time right now. 35 yrs to go till my expected retirement :eek:

South Carolina to Jersey I'd take a week or two off so I could take my time bringing 'er back. Beyond that, might have to hire someone. Or, as suggested, see if anyone here is looking for a paid for trip with free beer :thumb:

I really am hoping something shows up close to home, as transport fees would come out of the boat budget. Some of the quotes presented here, definitely keeps my fingers crossed! I might have to hire a broker to look for me. . .

Yalls wealth of knowledge and experience is greatly appreciated :thumb:

South Carolina to Jersey can be done in 7-8 days. Less if you run nights. One week off with two weekends each end. Unless something breaks. But, that's always the "if".

It will cost far more than what you might save by not buying locally. You have the entire Chesapeake Bay to find a boat that you can bring home in a few days.

If you can't find one you like, ask a broker to find you one.

Great Lakes will likely cost more than you'll save, but Florida often saves more than the cost of transporting plus is often where the boat you like best is. While there are many boats in the Chesapeake Bay, it's a small number compared to Florida. Now, sometimes your perfect boat is elsewhere. I have a friend in South Florida who was just about to buy a boat in Boston.

People like Great Lakes boats because they've only been used in fresh water much of the time.

Last edited:
Another consideration is moving it in bites. Do a 4 day weekend every third week. Or cruise for 9 days, and resume in a month or two.

Ted

Another consideration is moving it in bites. Do a 4 day weekend every third week. Or cruise for 9 days, and resume in a month or two.

Ted

Done that too. Prefer to just go and stay out as long as I can.....

Trucking depends on the size of the boat. I moved a 34' lobster boat from Rhode Island to Canaveral for $6,000. No oversize permit was needed.

A 32' Delta from New Orleans to Canaveral coincidentally cost me $6,000 each way (Moved it there and back)

Anything under 32' I just put it on a trailer and haul it with my pick up.

Still working, a lot. . .not able to take off long swaths of time right now. 35 yrs to go till my expected retirement :eek:

South Carolina to Jersey I'd take a week or two off so I could take my time bringing 'er back. Beyond that, might have to hire someone. Or, as suggested, see if anyone here is looking for a paid for trip with free beer :thumb:

I really am hoping something shows up close to home, as transport fees would come out of the boat budget. Some of the quotes presented here, definitely keeps my fingers crossed! I might have to hire a broker to look for me. . .

Yalls wealth of knowledge and experience is greatly appreciated :thumb:

Uggggg. suddenly being old and semi-retired isn't so bad. 35 years almost seems like a life sentence.

How about having it towed 1/2 way or to a point where you feel confident you have the time and experience to finish the trip yourself? IMO trucking is less expensive then a captain. I had a boat brought up from Fl. to NY. Originally, it was a 6 day trip. So, $200/day (captain), $100/day (crew) plus plain trips for both to Fl and back to their home. We got some bad fuel and 12 hours out, needed a tow back in from 25 miles outside. three days to fix the problem, (hotels, food, etc.) Then back out and the weather came into play. Another delay, 2 days, food, etc. It took 18 days instead of 6 days. It cost me triple what the estimate was. Maybe this was the exception, not the rule (I hope). Just another piece to factor in. A truck is pretty much cut & dry. A captain, or yourself, relies on weather, mechanical issues and such. Have fun!

How about having it towed 1/2 way or to a point where you feel confident you have the time and experience to finish the trip yourself? IMO trucking is less expensive then a captain. I had a boat brought up from Fl. to NY. Originally, it was a 6 day trip. So, $200/day (captain), $100/day (crew) plus plain trips for both to Fl and back to their home. We got some bad fuel and 12 hours out, needed a tow back in from 25 miles outside. three days to fix the problem, (hotels, food, etc.) Then back out and the weather came into play. Another delay, 2 days, food, etc. It took 18 days instead of 6 days. It cost me triple what the estimate was. Maybe this was the exception, not the rule (I hope). Just another piece to factor in. A truck is pretty much cut & dry. A captain, or yourself, relies on weather, mechanical issues and such. Have fun!

I am not criticizing your captain specifically as he may have been excellent. However, what I've seen in general is that you're more likely to have such situations with a $200/day captain than a $300-350. I know captains who do an excellent job of estimating and also have good mechanical skills and know the route well enough to know the safer places to buy fuel. They also quote a range to allow for weather, but generally on that route all weather is going to do is push them inside instead of outside. There are captains who don't end up completing the trip and those who cause damage. But there are also captains I'd trust completely to make such a delivery.

Now, as to which is cheaper, very much depends on the boat. Maybe if Mr. Beans, the cool one, would give us a size and model to work with, we could better compare.

Also, the question of which is more wear and tear. Being exposed on the road or putting those hours on the equipment. I'd say removing and replacing a flybridge can add wear if not done expertly.

I hauled my 50 foot trawler, 16 foot beam, 17 feet tall, from Galveston Bay to Oklahoma for about $500. Fuel was fairly cheap then. It will go back to the Gulf by water from here.

$5.00 per mile will put you in the ball park.

David

I've heard that from time to time, but in my experience any per mile cost or quote is only a fraction of the transport cost. Our last boat for example, 1,500 highway miles, but the total was more like $13000. Beam, length, height, pilot cars, permit costs depending on the states crossed, prep, dismantling, reassembly, cost of the zebra mussel certification, million things.

Last edited:
I bought a 46' trawler back in 2002 that was in Everet, WA and ran it down to LA that summer. We took about 2 1/2 weeks spread out over a month. We got weathered in in Eureka due to 60 knot winds and 25' seas forcast. It was a very interesting trip from dead calm to we are going to die (off the Columbia River). We did encounter 14' seas off the coast of Washington. That was due to trying to meet a schedule, never a good idea.

Would I do it again, yes since we now live in Michigan and just bougt a 41' President in Virginia. We will be running it home in the spring. We plan on taking 6 weeks to do it, but we are retired so that makes it easier.

As to trucking a large boat, it can be easier in some respects, but there are many stories of boats being damaged. Check out the trucking company very carefully. A friend of mine had his 38' Californian trucked from San Diego to Houston. He had multiple major problems with the boat and never got the trucking company to stand behind it.

If the sale is friendly , you might ask the PO to go with you for the first few days.

50-60 miles a day for a few days should be no big deal for the PO to get home.

The amount you will learn by watching and listening would pay for a taxi for him.

I might have to hire a broker to look for me. . .

Do that....I did and found the exact boat I was looking for 50 miles from home.

Uggggg. suddenly being old and semi-retired isn't so bad. 35 years almost seems like a life sentence.

Lol, and I just got out of a meeting with my 401k advisor. . .it's weird to have to plan ahead for an event that won't happen for a period of time that's longer than I've existed :ermm:

It's also interesting boat shopping as well. Seems a youngish guy looking to live aboard isn't the most encountered used trawler buyer :angel:

BandB said:
Now, as to which is cheaper, very much depends on the boat. Maybe if Mr. Beans, the cool one, would give us a size and model to work with, we could better compare.

Ok, well. . .the two boats that prompted this inquiry is a 43' Gulfstar MKII in Florida and a Mainship 40 Pilot house in New Hampshire. In general, my searches have drifted into the 40-44 foot range and 12-15 foot beams. . .25k lb+ displacements and fly bridges.

Chester, I hadn't thought about having someone meet me half way. Have someone bring it to South Carolina and I could bring it back the rest of the way. . .not bad.

Many thanks all for the insight!

Slightly off topic, but how would I get in touch with a buyers broker?

Back
Top Bottom