Ft Myers area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

n36511

Vessel Name
Miller Time part deux
Vessel Make
1995 Carver 355
Any feedback on a Fort Myers area Marina that offers great protection from storms and somewhat close to the airport? A few amenities would be nice as well.

Look at the Marinemax marina, especially the mango lined slips in the approach to the travel lift.

Look at the Marinemax marina, especially the mango lined slips in the approach to the travel lift.

Thanks! Hadn't seen that one yet. Have you stayed there or know of the slip fees? Looks very nice!

Used it for a haul out in October. Haven't slipped there. That channel into the haul out is narrow, but deep and well protected.

A little bit more information on what you are seeking might help. Is this for a few days, a few weeks or long term? I am currently docked at the City of Ft. Myers Yacht Basin. CFMYB has in slip pump out. It does not have a pool. For resturants, the River District of the city is a few blocks away. Next door is Legacy Marina.

Here at CFMYB, the docks are fixed concrete. There is a breakwater around the east side and north facing the river. Basic Florida afternoon thunderstorms are fine. A hurricane I would want to move up river.

A little bit more information on what you are seeking might help. Is this for a few days, a few weeks or long term? I am currently docked at the City of Ft. Myers Yacht Basin. CFMYB has in slip pump out. It does not have a pool. For resturants, the River District of the city is a few blocks away. Next door is Legacy Marina.

Here at CFMYB, the docks are fixed concrete. There is a breakwater around the east side and north facing the river. Basic Florida afternoon thunderstorms are fine. A hurricane I would want to move up river.

Thanks for the reply!! I am looking at an annual slip lease. I have looked at CFMYB and it is at the top of my list. I love its walking distance location to many restaurants and the downtown area....and the on demand in-slip pumpouts. Where would you take it up river in the event of an approaching named storm? Have you had to do it before and what does competition look like for finding a safe harbor?

Should have added that I will continue to live in the Atlanta area and visit the boat once a month or so..... but can drop everything in the event of an approaching hurricane.

Take a look at Harbour at Cape Coral. No in slip pump out, but freshwater slip, nice boat basin, wind blockage from tall condos, and some nice restaurants in the complex. Should be pretty safe till the cat 5 direct hit.

Ted

Take a look at Harbour at Cape Coral. No in slip pump out, but freshwater slip, nice boat basin, wind blockage from tall condos, and some nice restaurants in the complex. Should be pretty safe till the cat 5 direct hit.

Ted

Very interesting and only 18 miles from the airport. It appears that there is a lock which would reduce any sort of tidal surge????

Yes, there is a lock, though no evevational change, so it's very quick. 18 miles from the airport, but probably 45 minutes or more depending on traffic. With any of these marinas, if you're going to spend a number of nights aboad, I would go check them out before committing.

Was hoping for a slip there this winter, but it's looks seasonally filled for when I will get there. Maybe next year.

Ted

Thanks OC

I stayed at Legacy Harbor for a few months back in 2011. It's located right next to the city marina. I think it's a bit more pricey than the city marina. My wife wanted floating docks which they have. It's also right next to Joe's Crab Shack.

My boat is in Cape Harbour. It is not only pretty safe behind the lock, there are miles of mangroves between there and the open sea, so hurricane surge has very low likelihood of getting back there. The bars/ restaurants are very nice, and the pool is easy. I don't like that the shower room is not air conditioned, and the docks are getting old but are set for a major overall. For another high-end location like Cape Harbour, I'd also recommend Tarpon Point. It's literally 500 yards from Cape Harbour, and while not behind the lock, is also very well protected. It has a very nice Westin hotel and much better pool and showering facilities. I'm actually moving the boat there on January 2nd. I'd be happy to talk more about advantages/ disadvantages of either place. Oh, it takes me exactly 40 minutes to the airport, and I also live in Atlanta. I'm pretty sure I've seen Miller Time out on the lake. We have a house in Young Deer creek and a 24' Cobalt up there.

David Hughes
2009 Leopard 37 Powercat
www.capecoralyacht.com

Last edited:
My boat is in Cape Harbour. It is not only pretty safe behind the lock, there are miles of mangroves between there and the open sea, so hurricane surge has very low likelihood of getting back there. The bars/ restaurants are very nice, and the pool is easy. I don't like that the shower room is not air conditioned, and the docks are getting old but are set for a major overall. For another high-end location like Cape Harbour, I'd also recommend Tarpon Point. It's literally 500 yards from Cape Harbour, and while not behind the lock, is also very well protected. It has a very nice Westin hotel and much better pool and showering facilities. I'm actually moving the boat there on January 2nd. I'd be happy to talk more about advantages/ disadvantages of either place. Oh, it takes me exactly 40 minutes to the airport, and I also live in Atlanta. I'm pretty sure I've seen Miller Time out on the lake. We have a house in Young Deer creek and a 24' Cobalt up there.

David Hughes
2009 Leopard 37 Powercat

Thanks David. I gave Tarpon Point a call today after checking out their site and doing some google earth. Surprisingly reasonable rates for an annual lease. We have a little while longer before we move the boat down...but Tarpon Point is definitely a top contender. As we get closer I will take you up on your offer to talk about the location a little more....might also talk to you about your charter. Beautiful boat and we have been interested in chartering down that way before actually moving the boat down.

We frequent Young Deer often. Miller Time is currently located in Holiday and we raft up with friends sometimes in YD. We will have to keep an eye out for each other this upcoming season. - Scott Miller

Last edited by a moderator:
I stayed at Legacy Harbor for a few months back in 2011. It's located right next to the city marina. I think it's a bit more pricey than the city marina. My wife wanted floating docks which they have. It's also right next to Joe's Crab Shack.

Thanks Tim!

It is worth the price to rent a car , when in range, and go VISIT each marina before deciding.

Marinas are like companies and have their own culture.

The "sport fish" guys , the "aground in their coffee grounds" folks the "one more gadget to go " folks, and many other types.

Figure where you will fit in, and remember a storm surge on the coast can bring 15ft of higher water..

Good idea ff. good excuse to head down that way for a few days

I intend to go to Ft Myers next year and leave the boat there, thanks for the sugestions.

now, my boat is at St Martin and next Feb I'll down to Trinidad. Then I'll return to Florida and leave in Ft Myers

Back
Top Bottom