The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome enjoy and post.

Welcome to the forum!

Ted

Nice to have another Florida boy here. I bet none of the damnyankees on this forum know the derivation of the term Florida Cracker. Welcome.

Nice to have another Florida boy here. I bet none of the damnyankees on this forum know the derivation of the term Florida Cracker. Welcome.

I bet more than a few Florida boys don't either.

You are referring to your ancestors, right?

Florida Cracker

Hi Guys I joined the forum because I will be buying a trawler in the future. I have a 20 foot fish and ski and a 15' aluminum V bottom. I want to do The Loop when I retire. Thanks for all the replies.

A Florida Cracker got their names back before and during the civil war when most of the inhabitants of florida free ranged cattle. They were now as Crackers as was the sound of there whips. So my Grand Dad told me.

Hi Guys I joined the forum because I will be buying a trawler in the future. I have a 20 foot fish and ski and a 15' aluminum V bottom. I want to do The Loop when I retire. Thanks for all the replies.

A Florida Cracker got their names back before and during the civil war when most of the inhabitants of florida free ranged cattle. They were now as Crackers as was the sound of there whips. So my Grand Dad told me.

That's what I have always been told, too

Several different explanations of where "cracker" came from, the above probably being the one usually accepted.

But for a more lengthy explanation (although, to be honest, it is kind of difficult to imagine many people being interested) check out the explanation at FLORIDA CRACKER: SMILE WHEN YOU CALL ME A CRACKER, STRANGER.

Being a fourth-generation "cracker," I use the term with a certain amount of pride, although it also used in a disparaging manner on occasion. But there is a big difference between "cracker" and "redneck."

You're right John because I'm a redneck. We had a meeting and decided no crackers allowed. :)

So you say, Craig. But you're not a redneck by the definition we use around here. A redneck around here would not have the signature which you have. :)

If you are in central Florida be sure to visit the Kissimmee state park.
https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Lake-Kissimmee
There is a historic re-enactment of an 1800's cow catcher camp. The guys who do it are really good and never break character.
This is a great place to see the Florida native Scrub Jay. Neat bird with lots of personality. They will land on you and take food out of your hand. The Scrub Jay should be the State Bird.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom