Algae X

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finally we agree !
It must be magic because there is neither logic nor scientific evidence involved.:thumb:

I guess your opinion, like Bill's, falls under the "If I don't know about it, it doesn't exist" department of information theory. Useful.

Lots of Internet citations out there Delfin. Thanks.

Not directly related, I even found a few references that said by moving a copper wire through a magnetic field electricity is generated. Thank goodness the EPA hasn't gotten ahold of that silly notion.

I guess your opinion, like Bill's, falls under the "If I don't know about it, it doesn't exist" department of information theory. Useful.

Not quite, I simply want scientific evidence which you are unable to provide.
Now if you could provide such evidence, that would be useful.

BP

Elon Musk has done many things that were deemed crazy, stupid, not possible etc. The Tesla remains the finest auto one can buy according to many very smart people. I'm still puzzled as to how he pulled that off. Like some, I lack the understanding gene.

Question, what is genesis of pay pal? If one has to look it up you're in trouble.

The Tesla remains the finest auto one can buy according to many very smart people.

Not knocking Tesla, the man was brilliant. I'm knocking the charlatan using his name to sell a device for $20 that will reduce your electricity bill by 80% .... in the name of Tesla. I think he may be related to the guy that sells ALGAE-X :D

The idea that because someone purchases a product and find that it works is merely trying to justify their purchase decision is absurd.

It's known as post-purchase rationalization.

Tom, for the lab tests on efficacy of these units, I did find these from a dealer's web site. The would seem to confirm the pretty wide spread anecdotal evidence from users, like moi.

http://www.morison.com.au/Tests/De-Bug_Diesel_Filter_Shell_Test.pdf

http://www.morison.com.au/Tests/De-Bug_diesel_filter_RIVO_Test.pdf

http://www.morison.com.au/Tests/ICI_7021.pdf

http://www.morison.com.au/Tests/De-Bug_diesel_filter_ICI_7036.pdf

Kinda interesting that Shell NZ requested a study and report, results were not condemning. The sample tested was, as I have seen in other studies, problem fuel.

It's known as post-purchase rationalization.

I know many boat brands whose owner's fit that statement. In fact I could even direct you to a website ------ :D

What exactly do I not know?

I bought the product, I used the product, it didn't work, I've seen the tests that show the product doesn't work as advertised, I've heard anecdotal stories that they do work and I'm fully aware magnetic fields have many legitimate uses.

So what am I missing?

There are 2 schools of thought amongst most people. Its the best therefor I own it, and, I own it therefor its the best. Boats and the devices associated with them are the very best example of this.

What exactly do I not know?

I bought the product, I used the product, it didn't work, I've seen the tests that show the product doesn't work as advertised, I've heard anecdotal stories that they do work and I'm fully aware magnetic fields have many legitimate uses.

So what am I missing?

Well actually, I was referring to the statement that there is no empirical evidence these units work. I think you said the same thing just now, right? So I corrected the record by posting links to empirical experiments that confirm what users who actually have bacterial contamination have to say about the efficacy of these units in addressing the problem. If you don't like anecdotal evidence from people who tell you they seem to work, then perhaps avail yourself of the evidence they do from independent labs. Or not, your choice.

Since you ask, what you are missing is that if you do not have such contamination - and nothing in your posts states otherwise - your observation that the cure for contamination you don't have doesn't do anything is basically nonsense. Or do you want to expand your remarks and clarify that you did have bacterial contamination, then bought the units and they didn't work? If so, how should we weight that anecdotal evidence against the objective information from labs I posted? Based on your standard, it should be dismissed, but perhaps you can clarify why you think they don't work. Because you believe so, or because you have personal experience? Let me guess which one it is....

Not quite, I simply want scientific evidence which you are unable to provide.
Now if you could provide such evidence, that would be useful.

Well, I don't really feel the need to prove anything to you. Perhaps read the tests I posted, since the methodology they used seemed sound to me. If you don't find them convincing perhaps you can point out why Shell oil or Riva don't come up to your standards of scientific inquiry.

If you don't like anecdotal evidence from people who tell you they seem to work, then perhaps avail yourself of the evidence they do from independent labs.

Terrific ..... please provide links to that evidence, that is assuming you mean actual evidence based on scientific method by a certified independent laboratory. Any information provided by you so far has not been based on scientific method.

The links to the "tests" you provided were published by some outfit called Carina Chemical Laboratories Inc. and don't come close to scientific method. Don't you think it's curious that this outfit does not show up on the internet ?

Kinda interesting that Shell NZ requested a study and report, results were not condemning. The sample tested was, as I have seen in other studies, problem fuel.

ICI is also a very large company, and their results seem to indicate that the reduction in contamination takes 3 weeks plus. It's been 20 years since I put the Debug on my sailboat, and I can't remember how long it took to clear up the issue I had, but it would have been at least that long. That is the reason I installed them on Delfin. Probably completely unnecessary given how we handle fuel, but you can't measure the effectiveness of something preventative because you can't separate out nothing to prevent from success in preventing. But they were cheap so I figured why not, since they worked before?

The links to the "tests" you provided were published by some outfit called Carina Chemical Laboratories Inc. and don't come close to scientific method. Don't you think it's curious that this outfit does not show up on the internet ?

Probably time to pay attention to the first rule of holes. Stop digging.

http://www.ianmiller.co.nz/3673.html

But believe whatever you like. You may have confused me with someone who cares one way or another.

Magic has an Algae X fuel polishing system and two Algae X magnetic devices. They were installed by the PO. Do the magnets work? I have no idea. On the other hand, they look really cool, they are silent, use no fuel or electricity, and did I mention that they look cool?

Probably time to pay attention to the first rule of holes. Stop digging.

http://www.ianmiller.co.nz/3673.html

But believe whatever you like. You may have confused me with someone who cares one way or another.

The tests in the links you provided were published by Carina Chemical Laboratories Inc.

The link you now provide is to a company called Carina Chemical Laboratories Ltd. which shows no reference to the "tests" you previously linked to.

Nowhere in "Ltd." history is there any indication of being called "Inc."

Curious eh ?

On the other hand, they look really cool, they are silent, use no fuel or electricity, and did I mention that they look cool?

Howard---I do not recall any of the lab studies/experiments that I read about in the UK motoring press back in the 1990s saying anything about the Algae-X being harmful or detrimental in any way. They were testing the manufacturer's claims about the effect of the unit's magnetic properties on contaminants in fuel. Zero effect is zero effect: not helpful, not harmful.

So if you have them on your boat there is no compelling reason to get rid of them unless they're physically in the way or something.

The tests in the links you provided were published by Carina Chemical Laboratories Inc.

The link you now provide is to a company called Carina Chemical Laboratories Ltd. which shows no reference to the "tests" you previously linked to.

Nowhere in "Ltd." history is there any indication of being called "Inc."

Curious eh ?

Oh yes. Deeply suspicious. Probably part of a plot to trick you. You can't be too careful to ensure you aren't taken advantage of.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom