Newly Rebuilt engine vs 8 year old John Deere

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mplangley

Veteran Member
Hello

I was wondering if I could get some input on my boat buying decision.

I am looking at two 1972 GB 32's. Both are very nice. One has a newly rebuilt Ford (120 hours) . The job looks to me like it was very professional with many new parts, all new hoses etc. The other has was re-powered eight years ago with a John Deere 4045T with 600 hours on it.

It seems to me that all things being equal it would be better to go with the JD than the rebuilt Ford but I just don't know enough about engines or the rebuilding process to really know. Does anyone have an opinion on the matter? If so I'd love to hear it.

thanks

I agree with you, I would choose the JD boat. It sounds like either one would be reliable for a long time.

JD would be my choice. Newer technology should give modestly better fuel economy. 600 hours is barely past break in.

Ted

There are rebuilds which just fix the obvious problems, but leave others lurking and then there are rebuilds where every part is either replaced or checked against factory tolerances. You probably have no way of knowing which you are looking at.

Go with the JD for the reasons others have stated.

David

Do you know the reason for the rebuild? Why it was rebuilt will determine how extensive the rebuild was. Likely the HX, Trans, Alt, Water pump, etc did not get more than a cursory check when being removed, then replaced on the "Rebuilt" engine.

On the JD, unless the boat originally came with a JD, likely all the parts that wouldn't be new on the rebuild, are new on the JD, so you are getting everything starting their new life together, in harmony, instead of a bunch of old codgers trying to keep up with the new kid in the ER.

Definitely the John Deer.

I agree with the majority, but I'm prejudiced having a four-year old JD 4045 with similar hours.

Also agree with others on the JD 4045 but you are comparing a 4 cylinder engine with a 6 cylinder engine. The JD will have quite a bit less weight and use up less engine room space. The weight savings is significant and may have impacted center of gravity. I would want to be sure ballast is adequate with the JD. 300 or so pounds is probably nothing to worry about.

There are many levels of rebuilding quality. Since you have a choice the newer JD would be my preference by far. Old engine parts support eventually declines so that favors new as well.

Donsan,
Very very unlikely a CG/ballast mismatch would result in a boat w the engine in the middle of the boat. The lighter engine is a significant plus. If the boat, had engines aft w a V drive .. then it would be something to consider.

There is a remote posibility the old Lehman boat is the better. I'm not keen on FL's but the question is which engine is best. There is a fairly remote posibility the DJ was started accidentally w/o any oil or suffered some other similar mishap .. but seemed to come out smell'in good. I wouldn't have much doubt the JD is like near new and the same goes for the FL but I'd doubt enough to check very carefully just like any other boat. The FL is kinda like having a Buick straight eight in a late model car but it should be up to pushing a trawler at reasonable speeds for as long as most any engine in actual use.

But if both engines in question are excellent the only possibly significant reasons not to go w the JD are the boats themselves or the JD install. Mostly it's a matter of what boat you like and what condition is it in.

" Old engine parts support eventually declines so that favors new as well."

So the real JD question is who built the basic engine??

Is it? Who built it ....
Or is it who's supporting it?

Probably both. Somebody needs to make the parts and somebody needs to distribute them.

Last edited:
So the real JD question is who built the basic engine??

Frenchmen built my JD. Is that a plus or a minus? :blush:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom