New HELMSMAN 38 PH on its way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Arrived!!!

The new Helmsman 38 PH arrived yesterday lifted from aboard the Cosco Oceania from Shanghai via Long Beach, CA.

I had to get up at 4am to get to the dealer's --Scott Helker, Waterline Boats, Seattle -- office to go to the tow boat at Elliot Bay and then to the terminal. We had a whole gang on board include Lisa, Scott's wife and Vice President. One of the dealer's staff went aboard the Oceania to take off the shrink wrap and inspect the boat and then supervise its delivery. When he was done, we picked him up ashore and then the boat was lowered into the water on a sling and we attached the tow line after the dealer was put aboard. The unloading of the boat was fascinating and a tribute to the longshoremen who were careful and thorough. We towed the boat away -- all of this in fog -- and then rafted to the new boat and transferred 4 five-gallon containers of Diesel; I also then boarded my new boat. The battery terminals needed to be connected and -- ta da! -- it started right up.

The tow was disconnected and off we went, now followed by the tow boat, just in case.

I took the helm part of the time and we then made for the locks to get into Lake Union where more fuel was added and then we took the boat to the dealer's docks where the boat will now be fully commissioned and further cleaned and tested and inspected. This will include all the electronics and canvas and then a full review of all systems.

My wife Yvonne came over from Bainbridge Island as a walk on on the ferry and then a cab and she went aboard and expressed full approval.

The leather is perfect and we love the colors and the joinery with its seven coats of hand-rubbed varnish is really unbelievable. We were prepared to move aboard for a couple of days.

This is our sixth boat, third new one, and I have never had as good an experience with the whole process. Scott and Lisa are going to be best friends of all of their customers!

When we return from traveling we will have a day or so of orientation on the boat and its systems.

As we arrived at the fuel dock, David and Maureen Baker floated by on Destiny (an earlier hull of the same boat and also Ranger Tug alumni) to congratulate us on the new boat!

More to follow as the commissioning and break in occur!

Congratulations !!
I saw the picture on Facebook and wondered if that was yours.
Looks fantastic

Wow.....great start to a new adventure! Sincere congrats!

Thanks for posting your experience so far Allan. As you know our PH 38 is under construction now. It was started in November and recently came out of the mold and interior construction is underway. I have been receiving regular photo graphs from Scott Helker on the progress. Someone asked construcion time from the order date. Ours will be about 6 months including a month in Seattle for electronics installation and commissioning. Maybe a little more.

We are moving up in size as well from a Ranger Tug 31 with the fly bridge. Our reasons are much the same as Allans and we considered the same alternatives: Nordic Tug, American Tug and North Pacific. The Helmsman offer much higher quality fit and finish in our opinion and a significantly better value than the two Tug options. We were persuaded by current Helmsman owner comments that the quality and reliability of the Helmsman will not disappoint us. I would add that our experience in dealing with Scott Helker the Helmsman importer has been excellent. His follow up and communications have been outstanding and I am impressed with his integrity.

We live in Edmonds, WA on the Puget Sound and after cruising these waters for the last 5 years I believe anyone considering a boat in the 30 to 45 foot range should evaluate the Helmsman offerings.

Seattle Boat Show

Thanks for posting your experience so far Allan. As you know our PH 38 is under construction now. It was started in November and recently came out of the mold and interior construction is underway. I have been receiving regular photo graphs from Scott Helker on the progress. Someone asked construcion time from the order date. Ours will be about 6 months including a month in Seattle for electronics installation and commissioning. Maybe a little more.

We are planning to fly up and spend one day at the show. Will you be attending? Would be great for owners to get together.

John T.

You can find me on e-boat cards and Active Captain/Companion by searching for "TINKA". If you haven't checked those free aps out, I highly recommend them.

Back
Top Bottom