Moreton Bay Cruise September school holidays

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yobbo

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Hassall Free
Vessel Make
Riviera 35 Aft Cabin
Hello, are any members from TF going on the Interclub Bay Cruise Interclub Bay Cruise this September school holidays?

I am not a part of this cruise myself, however I will be cruising around the southern part of Moreton bay with other mates around the same time, (trying to avoid these guys, only because they take up the entire anchorage due to their numbers)

We will be on the water from the 18th of September for approx 2 weeks, if your out and about, give the "Hassall Free" a call on VHF Channel 10

Ian

It's possible we might be out for a long weekend during that period. I'll take note of your call sign/boat name. Where are you berthed again, Ian (Yobbo)..?

Hi Pete, we`re berthed at Ephraim Island, we plan to head North to Canaipa on the afternoon of Friday the 18th, a mate is heading down from Bribie in a Bayliner 2655 on Saturday morning and from there we will just be slowly chugging around (6-8kts) for a week or two, heading as far South as Marine Stadium (Bums Bay) but also staying a few days at Couran Cove resort. We have no firm dates to be anywhere, all depends on the weather, but if a 35kt westerly comes through we will be in Couran Cover for sure, we have wifi on the boat so I might post some updates and photos for others to follow our adventure (if thats allowed)

Aussies have been very quiet here lately.
Cruisin season is over I know, any body going places over the Xmas break.
I am tossing up weather to go down to Moreton Bay or up Fraser Island.
In the West until Dec 24 but hope to get away after Boxing day.

Can I suggest Fraser please Benn?

You can do a recce for me :) Flemingo is heading north in April/May/June.

Otherwise Lake Macquarie in February

I managed 6 trips in the last two months, just around northern Moreton Bay for a few days at a time. Mostly from Peel Island to Tangalooma, depending on wind direction.

Whilst anchored out I've been sanding cap rails and also the toe rail on the boat deck as I suspect its contrary to marina rules to do it in the slip. I've applied Deks Olja on about half of them to date, and am quite happy with it. It doesn't fill the grain and get a really smooth high gloss, but that's OK. I do that in my slip as its in the shade from about 2:45 PM. But I will do the spray rail/rubbing rail in the slip in the New Year, using a sander with a dust catcher. Actually, I used Cabots Exterior Poyurethane (Marine Grade) gloss on the toe rails, and it looks quite good. But the test will be in a year or two, to see how it holds up.

I've also installed a new washer ad new dryer. And today I am due for delivery of my Stressless recliner. Getting all set up for next season.

I will be at the beach for a week in Dec, and also in late Jan but otherwise will try to get out in the bay as often as possible. Sea breeze on the bay beats aircon at home everytime.

John,
I spent a fair few weeks up behind Fraser before finishing with a quick trip up to Lady Musgrave Island and Fitzroy reef in November.
The whale watching was sublime and the weather beautiful
Caught up with Andrew and Tamara (Hickers)who are on on Bluechip 3 a few times.
Looks like they were having a great time as they were there for ages.

I try and get out every weekend, although the last few times we have only been to Bums bay or Tipplers, we were in Bums bay in a 3 boat raft up when the spit was on fire a few weeks back, the water bombing helicopters where entertaining to watch whilst having a few cold beers, but not nearly as entertaining as a 50foot Carver dragging anchor and nearly taking us out in 40knot southerly change that came through early in the evening , it appeared to be all panic stations on the Carver I can tell you, it looked like in all the excitement the may have tried to pull the anchor up with the springer still connected to the chain.

......not nearly as entertaining as a 50foot Carver dragging anchor and nearly taking us out in 40knot southerly change that came through early in the evening , it appeared to be all panic stations on the Carver I can tell you, it looked like in all the excitement the may have tried to pull the anchor up with the springer still connected to the chain.

We saw that exact thing happen in a southerly buster while at Peel Island one time years ago, where the wind came up nasty, and we and a yacht were the only boats left there. The yacht got his chain hook jammed in the roller in his panic, as it was getting dark. The local VMR's had all gone off, and we had no reception, so we got out, and shot back over to the One Mile, where I was able to raise the police, and a VMR went out and finally towed him off, as his keel was bumping bottom. Fortunately it was a steel yacht, or the keel would have been through the bottom the skipper told us, when we met up with them at the Little Ships Club.

Slight change in plans, Bluechip is tucked into the GSSM at Hervey Bay after a delightful 2.5 months cruising Fraser. We are in Perth with family and plan to be back at the boat late January. Bit to early to head north so will head south and spend some time in Moreton Bay and maybe head down to Yamba. Stop by for a beer ����

Last edited:
Just bought Wine Down south from Bundy - Brisbane last weekend. Apart form the Bundy - sandy straits run (which was a bit lumpy) the run was great - couldn;t have asked for better weather or tides. Wide Bay Bar was like glass.

Contract now unconditional on a house in Newport but don't take possession until early February. Looking forward to being able to look at my boats from my back verandah. Just got the boat settled in her temporary home at the Newport marina and now looking forward to some Moreton Bay exploration in her during the Chrissy school holidays.

If you see us out and about on the bay, please holler!

One day! That's my perfect home, one where I can see the boat from the deck!! Enjoy your new home

I do like the Newport Marina. Spent about 8 months there after importing Insequent. It was just too far from home, so I bought a slip at Dockside and can now bicycle to the boat. I would prefer the boat at Manly or Raby Bay for better Bay access, but still pretty happy where I am.

There`s a trap for east coast Aussie boaters, there is also a Newport located in Sydney northern beaches area. It fronts both the Pacific ocean and Pittwater, with numerous marinas, moorings, and large yacht clubs, RPAYC and RMYC.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom