Rocna owners, seems you need a better anchor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
The manufacturer claims his anchor is a significant improvement over the Rocna.* Be prepared to pony-up $1500 to $2500 for the "best."

http://www.quickline.us/stainless-steel-anchors.aspx

Meanwhile, I'm*holding onto a Bruce.* Perhaps*I'll upgrade on my 65th birthday after you guys/gals test out and applaud*Quickline's.

markpierce wrote:

The manufacturer claims his anchor is a significant improvement over the Rocna.* Be prepared to pony-up $1500 to $2500 for the "best."

http://www.quickline.us/stainless-steel-anchors.aspx

Meanwhile, I'm*holding onto a Bruce.* Perhaps*I'll upgrade on my 65th birthday after you guys/gals test out and applaud*Quickline's.
BOW BLING. Where do I sign???

I may make the very aggressive step in the near future of moving up to a Bruce.

Do you all really like the bruce? I have had very poor holding with danforth anchors but great success with the delta quickset plough anchors. Right now though we have a 33 lb bruce on our Monk. Took me a bit to make up my mind as to whether I liked it but really it seems to hold pretty good on the TN River thus far.

Woodsong wrote:

Do you all really like the bruce? I have had very poor holding with danforth anchors but great success with the delta quickset plough anchors. Right now though we have a 33 lb bruce on our Monk. Took me a bit to make up my mind as to whether I liked it but really it seems to hold pretty good on the TN River thus far.
Never had a negative issue with the Bruce in muddy SF Bay/Delta waters.* Doesn't bring up "tons" of mud nor wiggle and pinch my fingers like a Danforth type.

markpierce wrote:

Woodsong wrote:

Never had a negative issue with the Bruce in muddy SF Bay/Delta waters.* Doesn't bring up "tons" of mud nor wiggle and pinch my fingers like a Danforth type.
I have a 33lb Bruce. Not in love with it. Miserable to get set in eel grass. It just slides along. I also have about a 48lb Navy Babbit anchor, and not excited about that either. I'd like to try a Rocna, but don't anchor enough at the moment to spend the coin.

We have a CQR and a Bruce hanging on the pulpit. We use the Bruce in the San Francisco Bay and Delta and have never had a problem. In fact, we've had to "trip" it off the bottom a few times when it's been well set.

Woodsong wrote:

Do you all really like the bruce?
I think I have made my position on the Bruce clear in the past.* Based on our experiences with it we would never again have or rely on one.* It is my personal belief that this anchor design--- which apparently works great when sized and weighted correctly for a North Sea oil rig--- does not scale down effectively to the size and weight used by the typical recreational power or sailboat.

The Bruce and Danforth basically use the same principal,

so a second anchor should be a CQR or North Hill to operate in different bottoms.

I have a Bruce (well, a "claw") anchor on my boat. It came with the boat. I have never had a problem setting it, nor have I had a problem with it dragging. Where I boat there are some 2 to 3 knot reversing currents so anchoring and staying anchored can be difficult.

I suppose the 30' of 5/16" chain helps a bit.

I think it's important to remember than an anchor is something that you may eventually lose so I can't see buying anything more than what is necessary.* Certainly nothing stainless steel like some folks seem to think they need.

-- Edited by rwidman on Wednesday 26th of January 2011 09:23:24 AM

rwidman,
"I think it's important to remember than an anchor is something that you may eventually lose so I can't see buying anything more than what is necessary.* Certainly nothing stainless steel like some folks seem to think they need."
I agree. Spending $500 or more on an anchor and then tie a string on it and lower it down into the unknown depths of whatever bay ir inlet. Except for the Manson Ray claws are cheap but I basically agree w FF. Carry a sack full of different types and FF*** ... I love the Northill. Wish they still made it. I've had my best luck w Danforths**** ...actually Danforth as it's w one anchor. I like your boat even though ther'e a bit light. Looked at several usually about $20K over my budget.

A previous boat came with a Danforth that had been painted white. I didn't really think about it one way or the other until I started noticing that I could actually see it digging into the bottom when anchoring in shallow & clear water. *So about the only advantage I can see for shiny stainless is that you might be able to see it on the bottom under certain conditions. White paint is cheaper though.

Of all the anchors I've tried, I've had the worst holding with danforth style anchors!

My experiences have been primarily with Danforths, and they haven't been great - tend to foul a lot which leads to dragging. Looking at options before the summer, and tending toward the Rocna. I hope we're not getting too caught up in hype.

Woodsong wrote:

Of all the anchors I've tried, I've had the worst holding with danforth style anchors!
Of all the anchors I've used over the past 50+ years (Danforth, Bruce, Northill, CQR and Delta), the worst holding was the CQR.

Only had it for a couple of months, but it made the Danforth look good.**Probably used the Danforth exclusively for 30 of those years, so understood it's limitations very well.* The Delta is clearly the best of the bunch for our boat/waters.

I*find a new anchor, and guess what?, we all start talking about the pros and cons of other anchors.

markpierce wrote:

I*find a new anchor, and guess what?, we all start talking about the pros and cons of other anchors.
Your anchor is undoubtedly the best one for you.* Congratulations!

Jay N wrote:

markpierce wrote:

Your anchor is undoubtedly the best one for you.* Congratulations!

Uh, my anchor will be a Bruce copy, not one of those newfangled and expensive types.* Not yet anyway.

Danforth never recommends anchoring with A Danforth (in his book)

He does recommend a Pair or more .

IF there was only one style permitted on board , it would be a fist full of " H "Danforths.

Markpierce wrote
Uh, my anchor will be a Bruce copy, not one of those newfangled and expensive types.* Not yet anyway.

Mark, if you have not actually bought your anchor yet, could I respectfully suggest you read what Marin has said about Bruce/Claws etc, and do yourself a favour, and get a Rocna, (as Sarca are not in the USA apparently), and you will not be sorry.* Actually, the Ultra are a damn good anchor, in fact share many characteristics of Sarcas latest* version, the Excel, but they are very pricey.* If they made a galvanised version now.......maybe different matter...?

Conrad wrote:

A previous boat came with a Danforth that had been painted white. I didn't really think about it one way or the other until I started noticing that I could actually see it digging into the bottom when anchoring in shallow & clear water. *So about the only advantage I can see for shiny stainless is that you might be able to see it on the bottom under certain conditions. White paint is cheaper though.
Where I boat, you could only see the bottom if it was two feet deep or less.* I don't think that white paint is going to help me.

I think the stainless steel anchors (and chain) are for the marina crowd to "wow" over.

rwidman wrote:
I think the stainless steel anchors (and chain) are for the marina crowd to "wow" over.
I agree!* I have a polished SS anchor and it is deployed for "jewelry" impact only.
My "anchoring" anchor is stowed in the second anchor locker.

If I had any "jewelry" to display here in Thorne Bay**** ....I'd get laughed at, sneered at or quietly snubbed. If somebody gave me an anchor like Walts I'd need to hide it. I think it's gorgeous my self though.

PS
Relative to Peter's recommendation of the Rocna it seems the Rocna is an excellent anchor but only if one has plenty of chain and scope. Mark needs an anchor for soft bottoms.
The best anchor for soft mud is the Super Max. The next on my list would be the Spade.
Next would be the Fortress or regular Danforth. At the bottom of the list would be the CQR and claws. However, I think any anchor should work well in mud that was'nt soft.
But in soft mud only one anchor works really well*** ...Super Max.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Thursday 27th of January 2011 11:53:46 AM

Peter B wrote:

Mark, if you have not actually bought your anchor yet, could I respectfully suggest you read what Marin has said about Bruce/Claws etc, and do yourself a favour, and get a Rocna, ...?

Peter, the Bruce (or the equivalent Danforth) comes with the boat as standard equipment.* I'll consider something "better" (but galvanized) whenever I feel deprived.

Mark,
With the Danforth on the Coot how would it be handled as in stowed and deployed?

Eric, the anchor will be stored on the bow's bulwark with the all-chain*rode below deck in a locker, deployed and recovered by the electric windlass.

ry%3D400

nomadwilly wrote:But in soft mud only one anchor works really well*** ...Super Max.
The bottom at the private island on which we have property has a soft mud bottom.* So far the Rocna has worked perfectly in it.* Sets first time, every time, and stays set.* Not saying other anchors won't do just as well, but the concave spade fluke of the Rocna is ideal in soft stuff because there is so much surface resisting the pull.* What doesn't work well in soft mud are CQRs and Bruces.* The last we know from very bad experience.

markpierce wrote:

Peter B wrote:

Mark, if you have not actually bought your anchor yet, could I respectfully suggest you read what Marin has said about Bruce/Claws etc, and do yourself a favour, and get a Rocna, ...?

Peter, the Bruce (or the equivalent Danforth) comes with the boat as standard equipment.* I'll consider something "better" (but galvanized) whenever I feel deprived.

For San Francisco Bay the Danforth-type anchor seems to be very popular.* Two of them were on our boat when we bought it.* I assume this is because the boating there is all in the bay and up the river, which so far as I know all tends to be muddy bottoms.* For that--- assuming it's not mud under a crusty surface--- a Danforth should be ideal.

I wouldn't trust a Bruce as far as I could spit but it obviously works for an awful lot of people.* So I think your plan of using what you get before deciding to change is a smart one.

Bruce has always worked well for me in soft mud. I think itis interesting to see all of the positive experiences of the Bruce in this thread when all of the "tests" show it is the worst. And I have seen the Supermax in action. It really is an amazing anchor in mud. The only downfall is when you bring it up, it has half the Earth attached to it.....it's always something.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom