Old 12-05-2015, 09:30 AM   #75
hollywood8118
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"With all the logs and snags and logging cables in DEEP anchorages in the PNW chain works best."

I would think an anchor trip line would be better insurance on retreval, than short scope in a known foul bottom.

think of it this way, would you want a rope rode rubbing around cables with meat hooks and logs with broken off branches?

Also we often anchor in deep water in narrow bays/inlets that limit swinging room.. you can practically hear the moans and see the rolling eyes when a boat ( typically sail ) drops tree times the amount of rode of the already anchored boats in a narrow anchorage.. we all so look forward to the bump at 3am as the boat wonders around the anchorage... not constrained by dragging chain. It typically happens at the change of tide.. which can be up to 15 feet.

If I look at how we anchor in the B.V.I. when we are down there.. in 10' of water with the trades keeping us in one position.. with a all sand bottom, chain isn't necessary. But still for some reason ALL the crewed charter boats use chain.. go figure.
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote