For Mike Murray

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marin

Guru
Mike---

In another thread-- it might have been the Butedale thread--- I posted a couple of logging photographs that had been taken by Darius Kinsey. He used large format view cameras during the first part of the 20th century to record all aspects of logging in the PNW, mostly Washington, as well as other scenes.

I know that you work with large format view cameras, too, and am wondering if you are familiar with Kinsey's work. If not, it might be something you would be interested in looking into. I've attached three I pulled off the web as examples of his work.

Attachments

• kinsey_photo_09.jpg
    kinsey_photo_09.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 74
  • logging.jpg
    logging.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 69
  • logging train.jpg
    logging train.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 82
Marin,

I remember those photos from a book we had in the Forestry Library where I went to college. The book was called "This Was Logging". I just looked it up on Amazon and Darius Kinsey was the photographer.

Tom

Yes, there are a number of books featuring his photos (his wife was also quite involved with their photo business and some Kinsey photos are credited to her). One of my favorite collections of his photos are in a book called The Locomotive Portraits. Many if not most of his photos feature posed people-- logging and engine crews and so forth. The slow speed of the film used back then pretty much dictated this.

He built or had someone build tripods with extremely long legs that let him elevate the camera above the undergrowth in the woods so he could get shots of the loggers in their natural habitat. He would climb up on a stump to frame and focus the shot. Below is shot of Darius and some of his equipment. The photo is titled self-portrait.

Attachments

• Darius.jpg
    Darius.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
You talking to me? Is there another large format photographer on TF named Mike, last named Murray?

The "M" in the MurrayM stands for my last name; Minchin.

Thanks for the historical tip. My early influences were Adams, Weston, White, and Camponigro. Canada doesn't have a history of internationally famous nature photographers from the early or mid 20th century. (I have several theories about that...surprise, surprise!!!)

There was a surveyor up in the Kitimat to Chilcotin areas of BC in the 1920's who took some really important historical photographs, from which a series of books have been produced. His name was Frank Swannell.

You talking to me? Is there another large format photographer on TF named Mike, last named Murray?

The "M" in the MurrayM stands for my last name; Minchin.

Very sorry about that. I don't know why I got to thinking the M is Mike and your last name is Murray. But yes, it's you whose attention I was trying to get.:)

Very sorry about that. I don't know why I got to thinking the M is Mike and your last name is Murray. But yes, it's you whose attention I was trying to get.:)

No problem :) Sure beats, "Hey A$$hole!" :D

No problem Sure beats, "Hey A$$hole!"

Well Played!!!!:flowers::flowers::lol::rofl::rofl:

Not sure the server could stand up to the response if you started a thread with
"Hey A$$hole". Too many of us would think we were the target :).

Back
Top Bottom