Wall got Gotcha

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oopsie...... He got lucky, if it hadn't teeter tottered there it would have sank. Wonder if said obstruction is charted?

There are so many ways to screw up in a boat. I remember the first time I saw a wicket dam on the Ohio. We had an experienced captain with us and he was talking about locking down. I didn't see anything up ahead but river. When we got closer, you could see the drop as the river went over the underwater dam. Obviously it's marked on charts, but on the river there is nothing be a few warning buoys marking the dam. If you aren't familiar with an area and aren't paying close attention to the charts, you can get in trouble in a hurry.

Is there such a thing as a forward scanning sonar for pleasure boats?

Is there such a thing as a forward scanning sonar for pleasure boats?

Yes...there is. I have seen several listings (seems like most were in the PNW) that had FL Sonar installed. My small fishing boat has side scan...so I can see what I just missed:eek::D.

Well charted and you will also note the warning day beacon just to his starboard.

NOAA chart 18650 - 48 degrees 10 minutes north / 20 degrees 10 minutes west. It's marked on the chart and labelled "Breakwater"

You know this guy paid a pretty penny for the badge/crane used to lift it off.

NOAA chart 18650 - 48 degrees 10 minutes north / 20 degrees 10 minutes west. It's marked on the chart and labelled "Breakwater"

It's not marked on my Navionics charts on my iPhone. Though of course we all know that it's not supposed to be used for navigation, right? :angel:

IMG_3311.jpg

Couple of pictures taken by a friend who was on scene. First is at high tide just after Vessel Assist got there

Richard

imagejpeg_0.jpg

20151129_211612.jpg

It appears to be a pod drive vessel with contra-rotating props. At least he got stuck before he hit the pods :)

Forward Looking Sonar works better with deeper water. The shallower the water is, the shorter forward looking range it has.

It's not marked on my Navionics charts on my iPhone. Though of course we all know that it's not supposed to be used for navigation, right? :angel:

View attachment 46989

What's "Sallow Water Habitat"? Enquiring minds want to know?

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

"Sallow:
adjective, sallower, sallowest. 1. of a sickly, yellowish color:"

We have an Interphase FL sonar/depth finder installed on our Californian 34. An older gray scale unit, it supposedly looks ahead, then sweeps down. Frankly, since it is installed at the lower station helm, I don't use it all that much, so really can't report on its effectiveness at cruising speed. Perhaps I should install it on the bridge, as I am fairly consistent at finding the bottom with the bow of the boat as I poke into Chesapeake gunk holes & creeks that somehow turn out to be shallower than indicated on the chart. Main depth finder has got an aft mounted transducer.

What's "Sallow Water Habitat"? Enquiring minds want to know?

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Even charts can have typos. It's supposed to be Shallow Water Habitat.

Richard

It's always a reverse chine type boat that does these sorts of things. :)

Those coordinates are incorrect. This area i 37- 38 degrees north and 22 +/-degrees west. The barrier is marked with two warning day beacons as well as a gree channel marker.

Edit: and, yes, the breakwater is noted on the NOAA vector chart as I just checked. May want to tell Navionics that.

Last edited:
Here are some closeups of the hull that a friend of mine took at the yard.

20151204_094001.jpg
20151204_094046.jpg
20151204_094051.jpg
20151204_094106.jpg

Richard

Unless he was bui, I feel bad for him. While we all hope not to make mistakes like that, people do. I think of driving a car and I know there have been times in the last 30 years I screwed up and someone else was watching so we avoided an accident. I know I've saved myself and others from colliding. I think boating is tougher. You'd think with all the water and no narrow lanes it might be easier. However, I think the fact that there isn't a lane marked on the water ahead of you and that there can be obstacles most anywhere adds a complication. I think then piloting a plane increases the complexity tremendously again.

I always see an accident and if no one is hurt, I feel like it was a pretty lucky day for all involved. This one could have been tragic.

I've seen accidents on the lake as they happened. One I recall hearing a crash and looking to the right and the two boats were both spinning. We jumped in the boat and were there in seconds with another boat there as well and we all started picking people up out of the water and trying to find out how many we should be looking for. You couldn't tell which ones were from which boat. There turned out to be 11, all ok. The other time I was waterskiing. I could see a boat approaching the tow boat from the side at an angle they didn't see. I thought if I'd drop the ski tow it might make them see. Regardless I didn't want to get towed into the accident. At the last second the boat towing me turned to try to avoid it and minimized the impact. Still amazed no one was hurt. Very happy though we weren't there a few seconds sooner when it would have been me instead of the boat. The driver of the boat that ran into the tow boat blew a .28 on the Breathalyzer. I did not feel bad for him. In fact, I was quite glad he was banned from the waters of the state and the roads of the state for a year.

One problem that can occur with boating and flying is the same as highway hypnosis...

Hour and hours of boredom, interrupted by moments of sheer terror.

Another is low workload distractions.....

One problem that can occur with boating and flying is the same as highway hypnosis...

Hour and hours of boredom, interrupted by moments of sheer terror.

Another is low workload distractions.....

I'm one who use to travel a lot alone by car and I stopped every two hours. It would be a snack stop, meal stop, fuel stop, or restroom stop of all the above. Even with my wife we tend to make many very short stops. There's a reason airplanes have co-pilots. There's a reason in my mind that boats need them. Just to be able to walk around, take a break, look somewhere else, have someone to share the responsibility. From industry experience too, I've seen all the charts and measurements showing drop off of productivity and alertness on a monotonous job after a certain number of hours. Also given reaction and judgement tests and reviewed studies. That mid afternoon drop off, drowsiness, loss of alertness and the middle of the night one are both very real. We once acquired a manufacturing facility that did not give an afternoon break (wasn't technically required in their state). We implemented one. Their production increased rather than dropping and their quality improved. The selection of music playing is also very interesting, finding that which comes between increasing the drowsiness and between taking one's mind totally off the task.

Back
Top Bottom