Water leakage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJ

El Capitan
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Do Califorians have the kind of window leakage problems that seam to be prevalent with many*MTs *(or most Taiwan built boats of the MT class for that matter)? Are the Californians solid or sandwich (cored?) hulls and decks, any water problems there?*

I am not going to say they don't leak, but I am a fan of Californians and look at them as much as I can. They generally do not leak around the windows. I would assume they are solid hulls with cored decks and topsides. Again, I have not heard of any problems that raise alarms although I am sure there has been isolated issues....they are old and they are fiberglass.

I guess I should read up on the parent company, Marshall Boat Co.* *Time to do some more homework.

-- Edited by KJ on Tuesday 7th of December 2010 01:55:11 AM

They are well built boats...American made...and generally hold their resale very well.

How they were made depends upon who owned the company at the time. Marshall, Wellcraft or Carver...some say.

I had a 45' MY 1989 when the company was owned by Carver. My boat was one of the last ones built in California before Carver moved the plant to North Carolina. My boat never leaked.

I had a solid hull with cored decks.

-- Edited by Doc on Tuesday 7th of December 2010 10:10:02 AM

Thanks for the info.

we have a minor moisture leakage around some of our windows.
it appears the original glass and window seals need to be refurbished, if anyone have done this i would be very interested in some pointers.

I find Californians to be a bit odd, but I don't think they leak any more than say, people from Wisconsin.

Delfin wrote:

I find Californians to be a bit odd, but I don't think they leak any more than say, people from Wisconsin.
lol
biggrin.gif

being from Iowa, I find I have sat and drank with Wisconsin folk often. I'd say they leak every 4 beers or 2 Packer TD's whichever comes last.

Well, I'm just grateful that there are at least two people on this forum with as juvenile a sense of humor as mine.

Delfin wrote:

I resemble that remark!

Mine is a 1977 model, the first year for the 34 LRC.* I've owed this boat for almost 5 years without any leaks.* Mine has non-opening port and stbd panes in the salon.* It does appear that a previous owner has re-bedded some windows.

Back
Top Bottom