Active Captain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very happy with AC for boating related information such as marinas, anchorages, draw bridge info, etc. The social interaction isn't happening for me. I view this like Microsoft Office, I use a very small percentage of what's available. As long as AC allows me to only use / share what I want without complicating the process, I will continue to use and contribute. I cruise to get away, not to be found by others.

Ted

Thanks Don I will try that. Pretty soon I will have the whole Active Captain Suite up and running ;)!

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Reading quite a few good reviews from costal cruisers but how about inland water ways such as TN. and Cumberland Rivers ?

Jim...
Just get online and have a look in your area.
We are on inland lakes in NY and coverage is good. Same for NY canals & Lk Champlain.

Don
'08 MS 34HT
"Bacchus"

Wifey B: Love it, use it, planning, when out, in several countries, West and East coast.

We don't do eboatcards. Have less than zero interest in any form of social media type thing. I know you'd think the crazy kid would be tweeting and facebooking and all that stuff but when we want our life story on the web, then we'll sell it or something. And no cyberdusting either. The name Cyber Dust....doesn't even sound intriguing. No Instagram either.

But used AC this morning deciding where to fuel on our way home from Palm Coast. Oh and it's getting dark. Don't think we'll make it home before dark.

Wow! This is one freaking huge lake. Don't ya just love it when the wave height on the ocean is a ripple.

And it's officially dark now.

Last edited:
Thanks Don, played around with it a little bit tonight. Good planing tool. JIM

AC Companion is for off-line use. All of the data is there BUT the chart overlay does not zoom in any usable fashion, on an Android anyway. Not availible on Android 5.0 tablets yet.
They also launched Locations, which has excellent overlay charts, but location of other AC members "near" (there seems to be a non-adjustable distance limit of just a couple miles) me are ON LAND. I can't get the search feature to find anyone.
I hope they keep AC and don't get too far away from that core that works very well.

I believe that the AC Companion provides an active chart with audible alerts for upcoming hazards, etc...

I'm sure it does much more but haven't really gotten into it.

I find an app like MX Mariner that lays the AC markers right on the NOAA charts to be much more useful than ACC when on the boat. The web based version used on a PC is useful for pre-trip research and planning (although if you turn cookies off it doesn't work).

MX Mariner lets you download NOAA and some other agencies charts and store them offline. The AC database is also stored local to your device.

While the AC database is a great resource, we also find that there is no need to be social until after the fact (like "This is what we did last weekend.") and even then it is not very often. Meeting up with people for eating, drinking, rafting up, etc. is not something we care to do much of (there are some exceptions).

There is also the issue of not letting out a lot of personal information to the world at large and broadcasting one's every move. What may be sent (or posted) as "Look at us at having fun at the beach!" can also be interpreted as "The Smith residence at 1234 West St., ThisTown, ThisState, is currently unoccupied and will be for awhile because it takes a couple of hours to get home from that beach!" because you've already posted other personal information like where you live, who lives there, your phone number, and probably a picture of some expensive toy you bought right in front of your house.

I don't really need to know that you are at your favorite bar and your team is wining but its almost half time and there is still a lot a game to go and boy the beer is good but you wished they still had the one you liked from last week and you're wondering what happened to the pretty waitress with the ponytail who is usually here on Saturdays and......

Wifey B: Love it, use it, planning, when out, in several countries, West and East coast.

We don't do eboatcards. Have less than zero interest in any form of social media type thing. I know you'd think the crazy kid would be tweeting and facebooking and all that stuff but when we want our life story on the web, then we'll sell it or something. And no cyberdusting either. The name Cyber Dust....doesn't even sound intriguing. No Instagram either.

But used AC this morning deciding where to fuel on our way home from Palm Coast. Oh and it's getting dark. Don't think we'll make it home before dark.

Wow! This is one freaking huge lake. Don't ya just love it when the wave height on the ocean is a ripple.

And it's officially dark now.

Palm Coast Marina, or did you go whole hog and stay at the Hammock Dunes Resort (we stayed there over the July 4th weekend, great place)?

Palm Coast Marina, or did you go whole hog and stay at the Hammock Dunes Resort (we stayed there over the July 4th weekend, great place)?

Wifey B: In the past we've stayed at Palm Coast but threw a changeup (ok we're watching baseball) this time and stayed at Hammock. Had a nice afternoon, went to the beach, ate dinner. Then played tennis before leaving the next morning. :thumb:

Wifey B: In the past we've stayed at Palm Coast but threw a changeup (ok we're watching baseball) this time and stayed at Hammock. Had a nice afternoon, went to the beach, ate dinner. Then played tennis before leaving the next morning. :thumb:

Yep, the marina is pretty inexpensive, but how you play can add up! Fun though!

And even if you didn't want to go up to the resort, the facilities right there at the condos are pretty neat for a cruiser.

Were there many turtle nests still there, or have they all hatched?

Yep, the marina is pretty inexpensive, but how you play can add up! Fun though!

And even if you didn't want to go up to the resort, the facilities right there at the condos are pretty neat for a cruiser.

Were there many turtle nests still there, or have they all hatched?

There were still some, not as heavy as a month earlier we were told.

It's pretty obvious to me that we've done a spectacularly poor job of explaining eBoatCards and its value.

Nothing about ActiveCaptain's data is going to change. Nothing about the reviews will change. If you like using those capabilities, full access to everything will continue for the long term. Our goal is to continue to expand the use of that data onto many different apps, products, and chartplotters, along with the ability to receive reviews and updates to help others. We're now also expanding the sharing of routes (just announced on Wednesday) so you can synchronize your route data between the different apps and products that support the free and open API. The day of GPX export, file movement, and import needs to end. Route movement should be wireless and trivial. Create a route on your Android phone, sync it to your chartplotter, edit it on your iPad while underway, and sync it to everything so the identical route is everywhere. It's nuts that we can't do that now. This API allows for exactly that with 3 announced developers having support for it now (Coastal Explorer, MX Mariner, Aqua Map).

Perhaps it's because we see all the data streaming in every day from around the world that we anticipated a problem about 4 years ago. We know that the average person views only 5 reviews, even if the facility, anchorage, or hazard has 200 of them. We also know that there are some marinas, especially, who attempt to game the system and add questionable reviews or get others to add them. This is not an ActiveCaptain problem - it's just as common on Amazon, TripAdvisor, Yelp, etc.

But we (cruisers) have an incredible advantage that those other review systems don't have. We have a much smaller and well-defined community. While it might be nearly impossible for me to find someone I know who wrote a review about a book on Amazon, it's easy to find someone's review in ActiveCaptain from someone I know. Everyone who runs the ICW knows the hazard comments from Bob423 as an example. The problem is that the information is often too buried to find.

So our vision is to help define each person a little better. Just like your boat card defines you when you hand it to others, your electronic boat card does the same thing. Because it's electronic, it can go much further and share more types of information since it doesn't have to fit on a small paper card. Of course, none of the information needs to be shared at all and all of it can be completely private or not even filled in.

The moment you start sharing your relationships, identification, and affiliations, some magic starts to happen. Now I can see the reviews from Spring Cove Marina (our next destination) written by the people I know first. Instead of wading through a variety of reviews from people who might well have different needs than me, I can see just the reviews from Defever owners. Perhaps I'll also look at the reviews from pet owners because our dogs will certainly need some exercise while there. What starts to happen is that the huge amount of data can become more tailored for my own needs.

But it goes further...

Services and even products fall into this. What radars do Krogen's have onboard and how do they like them? Which brokers were used by people who are members of the trawler group? Heck, how about the anchorages where the Gourmet Cruising group tends to go in the Bahamas since there's likely good sources of groceries there (if not people who have great cocktail parties)?

But that's not even all of it. Another thing an electronic boat card can provide is your current location (or your next routes). Of course, none of that needs to be shared - keep it secret and private. Perhaps only show it to your direct friends and none of your group members. Perhaps share it with marina sponsors of ActiveCaptain. Let's explore some of the magic that happens with that...

With this week's announcement, we'll provide a trivial way to store and share your routes. Add a little calendar support to that and you can define your plans for the next week, month, or season. Make that private in whatever way you'd like, but imagine if marinas could get access to that. All of a sudden, the dynamic switches from you calling them to make reservations at their published prices versus them contacting you to attempt to attract you to their facility since they know you're coming through at a time when they have space. Instead of spending thousands of dollars on advertising with only the hope of attracting some boaters, they can now attract classes of boaters with discounts. The discount is only "paid" when someone actually "buys" their service which is very much unlike normal advertising which costs a lot and then they only "hope" for results. In effect, it allows the marina to pay us boaters with discounts instead of paying for advertising somewhere.

Of course, location sharing can also help to link up people you know or the members of groups you belong to. You've got to wonder how often members of this forum have been anchored within a mile of each other without knowing it. Add a Trawler Forum free group and now you can be alerted when someone from here is nearby (to go meet...or to stay away!).

Notice that none of this is Facebook. None of it is about posting pictures of what you're having for lunch. It's all about defining who you are, optionally, so you can take better advantages of the data and information that is getting massive on our servers. Again, don't take part in any of the identification aspects and you remain with full access to all of the ActiveCaptain data that exists - there's no attempt or desire to end that (why would we?).

There are some other capabilities I built in because it made sense for the user-interface. The day is coming where it would be nice to have multi-media reviews (photos, videos, drone captures, etc) and even link them into the ActiveCaptain reviews on other offline apps. That data linkage capability has been available for 15 months to our licensed developers and all the products have been adding it. Products like Coastal Explorer, PolarView, Navimatics, Aqua Map, and dozens of others have it right now. We need those apps to have the inside API's to support some of these capabilities before they get rolled out within your ability to add the media. But that media sharing is coming to reviews too.

We do realize that much of these concepts haven't been explained well. We just did a multi-week analysis on feedback we asked for a few weeks ago from our users. Before expanding on most of these capabilities above, we will be stepping back, adding much more help and guidance with a new help module being built, and build some animated concept videos to explain more of where this is all going.

I will say too that none of eBoatCards has been a failure. There are 40,000 boats defined there today. The daily traffic just on eBoatCards.com is higher than the traffic on ActiveCaptain in 2012. The merging of the two websites (ActiveCaptain.com and eBoatCards.com) along with the help and concept videos, we think, will add another 100,000 boats to the system. At that point, we think people will wonder how they ever got along without it...

Jeffrey

With all due respect there are people who wonder how they ever got along without facebook and other social media. I remain a huge supporter of Active Captain and as I told you privately long ago, I won't ever participate in eboatcards. That doesn't make it wicked or evil. It just means we're private people and prefer to keep it that way. We have good reasons for that which we don't share, but some of them may not apply to or concern others.

You haven't done a spectacularly poor job of explaining anything. It's just not of interest to some. It probably is to the majority.

Oh we also read more than 5 reviews. We read even the old ones to get a history of a marina.

All the extra features you talk about are fine for those who desire them. We get that information in other ways.

I wish you the best with all your endeavors, but understand that eboatcards just isn't right for us all or something we wish to participate in. Others will think it's the greatest invention of mankind in the 21st century.

What Jeffrey is talking about is collaboration. It's obviously not a new concept but only fairly recently has industry recognized its potential and started to actively and formally introduce it into their processes.

In my industry and company, for example, we are developing ways of having designers work together in real time on the same design on the same screen even if one designer is in Everett, one in southern California, one in India, and one in Russia.

When done correctly and effectively-- collaboration can also be attempted incorrectly and ineffectively--- the end result is almost always better than the results of individual efforts.

This does not mean that a bunch of artists workng on the same painting autmatically produces a better painting. Individual creativity continues to play an impotant role in our lives.

Collaboration generates a concept and a plan for makng that concept a reality far, far faster than the more traditional processes of linear individual effort. And in business particularly the idea of creating better concepts and bringing them to fruition faster means better products for less cost.

And, the younger people joining companies like the one I work for have grown up in a collaborative environment. Social media, easy communications, and total familiarity with technology have fostered collaboration in their lives from day one. So instead of being dragged kickng and screaming into collaborative processes like many if not most of the older employees in my company, the new hires are totally at home with it from day one. Which bodes very well for the company's future.

By enabling boaters to collaborate on things like routes, places to stay, schedules, weather planning, etc. what Jeffrey is dong is introducing a means to a better end for those who want to take advantage of it.

Last edited:
I just qualified for my first hat.

I guess I'm kind of a big deal now. I can't promise it won't go to my head. It is a hat, after all.

I guess I'm kind of a big deal now. I can't promise it won't go to my head. It is a hat, after all.

??????

Nobody ever pays me in hats. ?

First hat huh? It is pretty cool stuff.
I have one- it's even sporting a couple of 5200 drips. I wear it proudly to the hardware store and WM.

Growing up as a teenager two things I was warned sternly to avoid were STD and above all- never get the Big Head... Had a few neighbors with a case of it after a new pick up showed up in the driveway- or somebody got a new swimming pool;).

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Collaboration generates a concept and a plan for makng that concept a reality far, far faster than the more traditional processes of linear individual effort.

So true.

Communication in it's many different forms is largely responsible for mankind embracing the concept of collaboration. First language, then the telegraph, then telephone and now the internet. Even us old guys understand the importance of collaboration, it's importance was realized way before us. What older folks have a hard time embracing is the many different ways the internet provides for collaboration.

It's pretty obvious to me that we've done a spectacularly poor job of explaining eBoatCards and its value.

The moment you start sharing your relationships, identification, and affiliations, some magic starts to happen.

Not at all; explanations seem just fine...

We just prefer much more restrictive control over any "sharing" we might do... and in the aggregate, haven't particularly found input from people we know to be more valuable than input from people we don't know. We usually get out the salt shaker no matter who...

-Chris

Nothing about ActiveCaptain's data is going to change. Nothing about the reviews will change. If you like using those capabilities, full access to everything will continue for the long term. Our goal is to continue to expand the use of that data onto many different apps, products, and chartplotters, along with the ability to receive reviews and updates to help others. We're now also expanding the sharing of routes (just announced on Wednesday) so you can synchronize your route data between the different apps and products that support the free and open API. The day of GPX export, file movement, and import needs to end. Route movement should be wireless and trivial. Create a route on your Android phone, sync it to your chartplotter, edit it on your iPad while underway, and sync it to everything so the identical route is everywhere. It's nuts that we can't do that now. This API allows for exactly that with 3 announced developers having support for it now (Coastal Explorer, MX Mariner, Aqua Map).

Perhaps it's because we see all the data streaming in every day from around the world that we anticipated a problem about 4 years ago. We know that the average person views only 5 reviews, even if the facility, anchorage, or hazard has 200 of them. We also know that there are some marinas, especially, who attempt to game the system and add questionable reviews or get others to add them. This is not an ActiveCaptain problem - it's just as common on Amazon, TripAdvisor, Yelp, etc.

But we (cruisers) have an incredible advantage that those other review systems don't have. We have a much smaller and well-defined community. While it might be nearly impossible for me to find someone I know who wrote a review about a book on Amazon, it's easy to find someone's review in ActiveCaptain from someone I know. Everyone who runs the ICW knows the hazard comments from Bob423 as an example. The problem is that the information is often too buried to find.

So our vision is to help define each person a little better. Just like your boat card defines you when you hand it to others, your electronic boat card does the same thing. Because it's electronic, it can go much further and share more types of information since it doesn't have to fit on a small paper card. Of course, none of the information needs to be shared at all and all of it can be completely private or not even filled in.

The moment you start sharing your relationships, identification, and affiliations, some magic starts to happen. Now I can see the reviews from Spring Cove Marina (our next destination) written by the people I know first. Instead of wading through a variety of reviews from people who might well have different needs than me, I can see just the reviews from Defever owners. Perhaps I'll also look at the reviews from pet owners because our dogs will certainly need some exercise while there. What starts to happen is that the huge amount of data can become more tailored for my own needs.

But it goes further...

Services and even products fall into this. What radars do Krogen's have onboard and how do they like them? Which brokers were used by people who are members of the trawler group? Heck, how about the anchorages where the Gourmet Cruising group tends to go in the Bahamas since there's likely good sources of groceries there (if not people who have great cocktail parties)?

But that's not even all of it. Another thing an electronic boat card can provide is your current location (or your next routes). Of course, none of that needs to be shared - keep it secret and private. Perhaps only show it to your direct friends and none of your group members. Perhaps share it with marina sponsors of ActiveCaptain. Let's explore some of the magic that happens with that...

With this week's announcement, we'll provide a trivial way to store and share your routes. Add a little calendar support to that and you can define your plans for the next week, month, or season. Make that private in whatever way you'd like, but imagine if marinas could get access to that. All of a sudden, the dynamic switches from you calling them to make reservations at their published prices versus them contacting you to attempt to attract you to their facility since they know you're coming through at a time when they have space. Instead of spending thousands of dollars on advertising with only the hope of attracting some boaters, they can now attract classes of boaters with discounts. The discount is only "paid" when someone actually "buys" their service which is very much unlike normal advertising which costs a lot and then they only "hope" for results. In effect, it allows the marina to pay us boaters with discounts instead of paying for advertising somewhere.

Of course, location sharing can also help to link up people you know or the members of groups you belong to. You've got to wonder how often members of this forum have been anchored within a mile of each other without knowing it. Add a Trawler Forum free group and now you can be alerted when someone from here is nearby (to go meet...or to stay away!).

Notice that none of this is Facebook. None of it is about posting pictures of what you're having for lunch. It's all about defining who you are, optionally, so you can take better advantages of the data and information that is getting massive on our servers. Again, don't take part in any of the identification aspects and you remain with full access to all of the ActiveCaptain data that exists - there's no attempt or desire to end that (why would we?).

There are some other capabilities I built in because it made sense for the user-interface. The day is coming where it would be nice to have multi-media reviews (photos, videos, drone captures, etc) and even link them into the ActiveCaptain reviews on other offline apps. That data linkage capability has been available for 15 months to our licensed developers and all the products have been adding it. Products like Coastal Explorer, PolarView, Navimatics, Aqua Map, and dozens of others have it right now. We need those apps to have the inside API's to support some of these capabilities before they get rolled out within your ability to add the media. But that media sharing is coming to reviews too.

We do realize that much of these concepts haven't been explained well. We just did a multi-week analysis on feedback we asked for a few weeks ago from our users. Before expanding on most of these capabilities above, we will be stepping back, adding much more help and guidance with a new help module being built, and build some animated concept videos to explain more of where this is all going.

I will say too that none of eBoatCards has been a failure. There are 40,000 boats defined there today. The daily traffic just on eBoatCards.com is higher than the traffic on ActiveCaptain in 2012. The merging of the two websites (ActiveCaptain.com and eBoatCards.com) along with the help and concept videos, we think, will add another 100,000 boats to the system. At that point, we think people will wonder how they ever got along without it...

I use both AC & e-boat cards. I think they are wonderful and I try to encourage everyone I know to use them. I wish there was a better way to filter the member list. I would like to add every member in the PNW to my contacts and send everyone of them a friend request. I do use facebook, but e-boat cards is NOT full of a lot of garbage and silliness like FB. I have a lot of local knowledge from 35+ years of cruising in the San Juans and Gulf Islands, and I enjoy sharing it with boaters new to these areas. Keep up the good work! :Thanx:

Did a search and didn't find a thread on this (though some posts may be buried in other threads).

Does anyone actively use Active Captain while underway and to select anchorages etc.? I have the Garmin software on my iPad with AC and find it interesting. However since I pretty much know my immediate cruising area I don't get much value out of it.

The frequent newsletters are interesting enough though.

How valuable a tool is this when cruising away from home, gunkholeing etc.?

I use Active Captain extensively (on a PC, not on a telephone) both for planning and underway for anchorages, marinas, fuel availability and prices, etc.. Not so much for hazards. I think it's a great resource.

Reviews and hazards can be a problem and should be considered with a grain of salt or two.

I use Active Captain extensively (on a PC, not on a telephone) both for planning and underway for anchorages, marinas, fuel availability and prices, etc.. Not so much for hazards. I think it's a great resource.

Reviews and hazards can be a problem and should be considered with a grain of salt or two.

Reviews everywhere on everything need to be looked at carefully. However, on the whole, I've found AC reviews very helpful. Just look at the content of them and see if it's applicable to you. By looking at the preponderance of reviews you can also eliminate the one that is family or employee and the one that just has a personal ax to grind.

Reviews everywhere on everything need to be looked at carefully. However, on the whole, I've found AC reviews very helpful. Just look at the content of them and see if it's applicable to you. By looking at the preponderance of reviews you can also eliminate the one that is family or employee and the one that just has a personal ax to grind.

Agree...like all internet advice...it helps to first put it in context then put the reviewer or poster in context.

Yet....often as some point out...eloquence is more important than substance to many.... so care is required when interpreting what you read.

But it doesn't make it all irrelevant.

I used AC extensively when I brought the boat from FL to Texas. It was a huge help IMO.

I was never a cruiser til 5 years ago. I have taken AC with me every step of the way. Its on our I pad with garmin blue chart mobile. I have had my bacon saved many times over again. I wouldnt leave cruising without it. Yes, there are other sources but I dont feel the need for anything else. I wish Garmin had an anchor alarm though. Opinions are like anything else, you need to take them with a grain of salt. There are no absolutes in peoples experiences. If 10 people make a review and 8 out of 10 say something close then its prolly good. I have Companion too and like that as well. My hat goes off to Jeff and Karen for the quick responses when I needed help. I do have the coveted AC hat as well.

Since this came up again, and I've been using AC extensively to plan a trip next season, I'm going to repeat something, maybe a little more clearly this time:

Please, PLEASE, PLEASE update the details about a location!

A concise, well-written review is great. But it's only a small part of the data that's stored in AC. Don't stop there!

Update the price of fuel, the cost for a slip or mooring, the contact number or VHF channel of the marina, etc. Each anchorage or marina has a "details" tab.

I don't think everyone knows you can update virtually all the details.

It's really frustrating to find a marina, mooring field or anchorage that people have taken the time to review, with absolutely no details, or outdated details. Opinions are certainly helpful, but of limited use without facts.

On our AICW trip from Annapolis to Marco Island, FL. we relied heavily on A/C.

Not only was it a great planning resource but we kept it open and running as a great navigation aid.

My wife, new to boating, by the way, had her iPad open to Garmin Blue Chart Mobile which helped with our course. As you may know, Garmin integrates A/C layers as desired. Maybe more importantly, we took heed when approaching any hazards to gain great "local knowledge".

Not only is this good redundancy (to paper charts and the MFD / chart plotter) but we actually prefer this style of navigation over the integrated chart plotter.
It even has a radar weather overlay to spot storms.

We both highly recommend Activecaptain! Thanks you Karen & Jeff for making it possible!

Back
Top Bottom