Plastic zipper lube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FredB

Vessel Name
Wandering Star
Vessel Make
Chien Hwa Senator 43
What is the best lube for plastic zippers in canvas work?

I use a chapstick. But you may want to look in the "DIY Canvas Tips, Tricks, Recommendation" thread and see if any of the experts have mentioned their thoughts on the subject.

I use a purpose made snap/zipper lube called Snapstick. It looks like a large Chapstick. It works really well and the Chapstick like package is extremely convenient.

Ken

Canning wax that you can buy at most grocery stores. Cheap.

What is the best lube for plastic zippers in canvas work?

Fred
I used many of the methods suggested here over the yrs and bottom line most any of them work well.

I keep a tube of silicone grease aboard and used it for many applications - A dab on a finger applies it fairly well to zips.

"Chapstick" or any lip balm works well - Vaseline for lips (tube w/ small "nozzle") also works well.

I try to avoid specialized / single application product(s) if a generic will work.

The key for me was APPLY SPARINGLY - a little goes a long way - you don't want it to get on the fabric as it will likely leave a stain / discoloration.

Bar soap works for during the season, In spring I spray zippers with WD-40 or similar.

Always used wax. Anything with oil or oil w propellant will stain canvas.

Cheapest bees wax is a toilet seal ring for a dirt house toilet.

About $2.00 any hardware store or home cheapo.

Cheapest bees wax is a toilet seal ring for a dirt house toilet.

About $2.00 any hardware store or home cheapo.

Bees wax also works well treating leather boat shoes - keeps the leather soft and water repellent. Apply it sparingly and spread / rub in vigorously - warming in the sun etc helps.

Greetings,
Mr. Oliver. Take note of post #13.

tw.gif

RT, where do you find this hilarious stuff??

I made sure that the boat I purchased after we sold our sailboat does not have any. ‼️?

Purpose made products have UV inhibitors built in.

Yes, a candle is probably cheaper than a tube of zipper lube, but the difference is not significant to me. If the zipper lube was $20, it might make a difference.

Purpose made products have UV inhibitors built in.

Yes, a candle is probably cheaper than a tube of zipper lube, but the difference is not significant to me. If the zipper lube was $20, it might make a difference.

I couldn't find a UV inhibitor listed as one of the ingredients in the Starbrite zipper lubricant so at $12 bucks for a 2 oz. tube I'll pass. For a buck (or less) per candle I'll stick with them.

STAR BRITE Snap & Zipper Lubricant - 2 oz. tube | West Marine

Any hard wax based product will work, as has been posted already, to keep zippers lubricated and working well.

Here's a related question. What about when the zipper is rigidly stuck. Had some like that when we bought the boat. I used a VERY small amount of WD40 right into the zipper and it worked like a charm. I was concerned of staining, but was able to keep it off the fabric. Was there a better product i could have used?

WD40 is what I would have used also. One thing you might consider the next time you need to apply it on a zipper or snap is to use a syringe as the applicator. If the syringe has a small needle then all the better to control exactly where the oil goes. As a second thought, for an alternative to WD40, I might have used a silicone based lube also using the syringe to apply it.

yea, the bottle had that thin tube that attaches to the nozzle, I got that into the zipper and just barely touched the trigger. Worked well.

Zippers

Most any decent hardware store will have beeswax in a small block. There is also a commercial product, and the name eludes me, that is used on sail slides. Lasts forever and doesn't stain.

I couldn't find a UV inhibitor listed as one of the ingredients in the Starbrite zipper lubricant so at $12 bucks for a 2 oz. tube I'll pass. For a buck (or less) per candle I'll stick with them.

Whatever floats your boat! I guess you can also use the candle for light if your batteries fail.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom