Naiad fin protection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meridian

Guru
Vessel Name
Meridian
Vessel Make
Krogen-42
I'm looking for options on leading edge fin protection from crab pots, etc. for my stabilizers.

The sailboat designers have looked at this problem extensively. It takes at least a 30 degree angle on the fin to shed weeds, kelp, or crab pot warps. The only other way I can think of is to glass a sharp stainless steel strip onto the leading edge to cut them. Keeping it sharp enough will be a challenge, but a few minutes of a diver with a file every few months should do it.

David

We have "kelp cutters" on ours. It's a stainless triangle mounted to the hull just ahead of the fins. Really the only risk with the fins and crab traps is if the line gets wedges between the top of the fin and the hull. In most cases they just shed away, and the kelp cutters help protect against that last little risk that they get caught in the gap. The leading edge is sharpened so they in theory cut kelp, but I haven't had the opportunity to test that.

I don't have anything sharp, just a block on the hull ahead of the fins to stop lines getting between the fin and the hull. I have only once had kelp on a fin, and just fished it off leaning over the side from the side deck. I would think stopping and reversing a short distance would also clear anything just wrapped over the leading edge.

Attachments

• Naiad Ext 7.jpg
    Naiad Ext 7.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 116
This is what have forward of the fins:

Attachments

• NT 42 021.jpg
    NT 42 021.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 113
Here is a slight variation........

Stabilizers.jpg

Only once did we snag something that I recall. It was in the dead of night off the coast of Oregon. We think it was a crab pot line and buoy. It thumped the hull for about 15 minutes then stopped. Presumably, the line cutter had done its job. When we got to San Diego, we had a diver inspect the hull and stabilizer fin. He found nothing to report.

This thread supports my theory that complicated systems onboard can only lead to more complications.:banghead:

As others have stated, we see no issues either. Removing kelp from fins is easy. Avoiding crab pots is normal and the few times where an errant line was picked up we have found the props pull them off the fans and the line cutters do their job. Not once have I had to dive down to remove stuff off the Wesmars.

Last edited:
This thread supports my theory that complicated systems onboard can only lead to more complications.:banghead:

Fins are hardly complicated. And once you have them, or some other form of stabilization, you'll never want to be without it. :D

They're not complicated but yes, they do need servicing.

Active stabilisers weren't on my wish list to begin with, but having used them for a couple of years, they are now on my essential list.

Attachments

• DSC00343.jpg
    DSC00343.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC04390 (800x451) (2) (800x451).jpg
    DSC04390 (800x451) (2) (800x451).jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC02610 (640x361).jpg
    DSC02610 (640x361).jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 86

True, but each of them also brings a set of benefits. Then you need to decide if the cost and complexity is worth it. By way of example, our boats have engines and gear boxes which are very complicated machines and require on-going maintenance. But clearly we all think the benefit is worth it.

They're not complicated but yes, they do need servicing.

Active stabilisers weren't on my wish list to begin with, but having used them for a couple of years, they are now on my essential list.

That's the story I hear over, and over again. Once you's gone flat, you never go back.

Add me to the list, stabilizers to me aren't very complicated and are worth every penny.

One thing to note on vessels with stabilzers, a little trick, when boat is hauled for service, once you have the fins on exact center, is to make a permanent and prominent mark on the hull (we weld a bead on alloy and steel hulls) at the trailing point of the fins. This will give you a permanent reference point. Later, wether in or out of the water, gives you the ability to mechanically center the fin to the mark, and then adjust your electronic sensors to re-zero in the event of fin movement on the shaft or sensor failure. This saves the necessity to re-haul for the adjustment. This also lets a diver check center in a matter of seconds, and can then be easily re adjusted.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom