Entry door style - name?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurrayM

Guru
Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
30' Sundowner Tug
Hi there,

What is the name or style of saloon/cabin entry door (from or onto the aft deck) that, instead of being a companionway hatch & door arrangement, has a raised box permanently affixed to the saloon roof and uses a taller door?

Suppose a photo would be helpful, but I don't happen to have one..

Like the door to the aft deck on this Neville 42 LRC below. (Trying to get the name of this style of door to do some targeted googling for more information)

Attachments

• Neville 42 LRC.jpg
    Neville 42 LRC.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 148
A less-expensive alternative:

Hey Marty...you'll note I didn't mention anything about certain unnamed overhead structural features ;)

Here's a rather extreme aft deck entry example (taller than what I'm considering) on another Kasten design;
Motor Yacht Designs

Anybody know the name of that style of entry?

Attachments

• Kasten tug.jpg
    Kasten tug.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 223
Hi there,

What is the name or style of saloon/cabin entry door (from or onto the aft deck) that, instead of being a companionway hatch & door arrangement, has a raised box permanently affixed to the saloon roof and uses a taller door?

Suppose a photo would be helpful, but I don't happen to have one..

In a search of the Kasten Marine website I found mention to a "scuttle" for access to the aft house, maybe thats what it is called. Bet Tad knows the name......:thumb:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-11-28 at 8.01.35 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2015-11-28 at 8.01.35 AM.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 134
In a search of the Kasten Marine website I found mention to a "scuttle" for access to the aft house, maybe thats what it is called. Bet Tad knows the name......:thumb:

Quality detective work there Mike...unfortunate name choice for that style of entry though...once you combine the words 'boat' and 'scuttle' in a google search it brings up things none of us want to consider :eek:

Getting closer...

SCUTTLE, (écoutille, Fr.) a small hatchway cut for some particular purpose through a ship's deck, or through the coverings of her hatchways, and furnished with a lid which firmly incloses it whenever necessary. See DECK and HATCHWAY.

William Falconer's Dictionary of the Marine, S, page 1147

...but not a very popular term (grrrrr).

On a sailboat it's called a fixed raised companionway, or maybe a doghouse.

Last edited:
On a sailboat it's called a fixed raised companionway, or maybe a doghouse.

Ahhh...more clues. Thanks, will search more later as house renovations lurk, undone.

I've always called it, and heard it referred to as, a companionway scuttle.
I split the fo'c'sle in two and put a wide one with two doors in it for private
entries for each side.

Ted

common on Benford designs if I remember...maybe local could swing by or email and ask.

Unfortunately can't remember the boaty name....when I moved back aboard, with the internet...finally sold off my sizeable boat building book collection.

But nothing so far posted is ringing a bell and the internet yields nothing on a few searches tried....except this...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Companionway

Companionway

Page issues
For other uses, see Companion (disambiguation).

In the architecture of a ship, a companion or companionway is a raised and windowed hatchway in the ship's deck, with a ladder leading below and the hooded entrance-hatch to the main cabins.

Last edited:
I've only known it as a "doghouse". I had a canvas one with SS tubing on my companionway hatch. I removed it. Can still see old pictures with the tubing still installed in my personal pages.

I would caution you to consider rearward visibility with a hard doghouse. I always had the canvas down. Too bad you are thinking of this now, I just got rid of the frame a month or two ago. Canvas was gone a long time ago. It is nice for an open hatch in the rain. Easy to mosquito screen too.

It depends on who you ask.....

Jay Benford picks it out on his drawings as "scuttle". But he's wrong, according to the Oxford Companion, scuttle is the proper name for what we commonly call a porthole.

Doghouse is an American yachting term that refers to a short deckhouse or main hatchway raised above the cabintop or coachroof.

Booby-Hatch is a "small opening in the deck of a vessel used as an additional compaionway to facilitate movement" Thus the small raised structure with door and sometimes a sliding top is a booby-hatch. You will find it so named on drawings by William Garden and others, including Nathaniel Herreshoff.....

http://www.sjogin.com/?p=147

Last edited:
Given the choice between Booby-Hatch and Scuttle, I would refer to it as a "stern entry way". But then I think my boat's a trawler, so what do I know.

Ted

Given the choice between Booby-Hatch and Scuttle, I would refer to it as a "stern entry way". But then I think my boat's a trawler, so what do I know.

Ted

Whereas I would just combine them together and call it a scooby.

Thanks a bunch Tad.

Funny how things come full circle sometimes, in that if I make too many jokes about Booby Hatches I'll end up in the doghouse for sure :D

Here's a photo (of a rather high profile one)(taken with a 4x5 camera :thumb: ) from the site Tad linked to; 45. Oblique view of booby hatch showing aft and port faces. Photograph by Russell Booth, June 1989. - Ship BALCLUTHA, 2905 Hyde Street Pier, San Francisco, San Francisco County, CA

Attachments

• Booby Hatch.jpg
    Booby Hatch.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom