Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sub chaser

I posted photos of this wood boat awhile back. A couple of people wanted to know what the boat had been originally. Last week when we were having our boat hauled again I remembered to ask the yard manager. It was a sub chaser that had been purchased for conversion into a yacht. The boat was repowered with a pair of V-12 engines but I don't know what kind.

The owner passed away recently and the boat is now for sale. It has had a lot of work done on its hull and systems. I was told the interior is currently gutted as this was to be the next step in the conversion to a yacht.

There is an Alaska tv show (the Browns family?) which showed them buying a currently running old WWII sub chaser. It looks quite simulat to your photo.

There isn't a single line on that thing I like. Not one. I don't think I could design anything uglier if I tried. Clearly this person requires a LOT of attention.

Dave...don't you like the buttock line and the way the stern rises just a little. Regardless, it's hard to imagine having a slow Sunday afternoon with an impulsive "let's go for a quick sail" with that one.

While at the classic boat show this summer I came across this well balanced OB skiff. I'm usually not a fan of OB wells but the balance benefits are plain to see here. I once had a boat much like this .. a Muckelteo Boat that was about 5' wide and 18' long. Hard over turns produced very high bank angles as a result of the very soft chines. I about fell out of the boat sitting in an unattached chair on my first sharp turn w the boat (tiller steering). Had to sell it when we moved to Alaska. To me there's not much else like a nice skiff.

Attachments

• DSCF2044.jpg
    DSCF2044.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 85
A lotta Pirate stuff goes on in this neck of the woods...Spotted in Beaufort (NC) harbor...

20150722_184239-vi.jpg

Christina O

Former Aristote Onassis's yacht.
At the anchor Cap d'Antibes, France. I met her on July 28, 2015

This boat was docked on a bulkhead on the Mississippi at the French Quarter. I was jogging down the seawall and checked it out.

120'. Had two 25' center console boats on the deck. Pretty cool setup.

They sailed from Australia. The guy said it had two cat Diesel engines. Thought he said 3208s but that doesn't sound big enough does it? He said it cruises at 8 knots.

Also has an interesting platform that lowered into the water where they tag sharks.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1448668544.571964.jpg

http://www.hastingsdeering.com.au/home/news/Global_Spotlight_on_Australian_Tiger_Sharks

On this we can agree!!! :thumb: There is a sister ship in wood berthed at Fisherman Wharf in Seattle. Comes through Ketchikan annually on charters. Just a Man's boat in every sense.

Al-Ketchikan

Torsk is a very cool boat.. the Admiral would lover her as she really likes Delfin .. seems like great value for a real passagemaker.

I found this one interesting.. it may have been here before so if it is a duplicate sorry for the post..

1994 Nielsen Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

HOLLYWOOD

Attachments

• 5106539_20150610140613599_3_XLARGE.jpg
    5106539_20150610140613599_3_XLARGE.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 159
On this we can agree!!! :thumb: There is a sister ship in wood berthed at Fisherman Wharf in Seattle. Comes through Ketchikan annually on charters. Just a Man's boat in every sense.

Al-Ketchikan

Al,

Perhaps you are thinking of the charter vessel Ursa Major which winters in Washington and charters out of Sitka in the summer. They have a cool web page if you wish to get a look at the boat.

Ken

I sure like that Romsdal, but Admirals says there's enough bodily hair around here already. The Nielson is also very masculine if not a bit high buck, but lacks nothing.

Last edited:
I had to go through the pictures of the Nielsen 3 times looking for a reason not to go get it! Only the price and it being too far away to go look several times.

Cool boat but seems pricey for a second hand steel boat. Thought we were supposed to be able to steal those? ?

I had to go through the pictures of the Nielsen 3 times looking for a reason not to go get it! Only the price and it being too far away to go look several times.

She is a beauty! However, if you are looking for another reason not to buy, her lower helm is pretty much unusable.

"She is a beauty! However, if you are looking for another reason not to buy, her lower helm is pretty much unusable."
Conrad:
I agree, and I don't see the lower helm getting more instruments than absolutely necessary. If it was mine from the beginning, I wouldn't have bothered with the lower helm at all, but turn that part into more of the luxurious saloon. Maybe put the TV up on centre and away from the door.
Also, not sure about using those Lehmans. Better engine choices abound.

She is a beauty! However, if you are looking for another reason not to buy, her lower helm is pretty much unusable.

Yup. That was the deal breaker for me too. Running at night would be difficult.

Yup. That was the deal breaker for me too. Running at night would be difficult.

I'd enjoy piloting at night high up above water level in heated enclosed bridge. Safety visual position and great place to see via spotlight. I try to not run at night anyway... much more chance of hitting semi submerged objects.

:speed boat:

The lower helm could be lived with but I wonder how the furniture would fare in a seaway?
Also, as passage makers go seems light on fuel tankage to me. But the big deal breaker in my world is the galley down. She hates them.

Back
Top Bottom