Sea horse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Apache II
Vessel Make
1974 Donald Jones
Walt,
I was on board a 2010 boat like yours at the Seattle Boat Show.

Man what a beautiful boat.

Now I have Halvorsen envy.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Monday 24th of January 2011 04:03:59 PM

SD:*
Yes, they are nice boats but a little too pricey in my book.
My whole reason for buying SeaHorse was that I wanted all the amenities and bells & whistles I could get in a 32' single engine trawler that still had some classic lines.

Walt,
Do you use trim tabs? Your Halvo is riding very level considering the wake you're mak'in. 8 or 9 knots? Sure is level. Would be nice if you achieve that runn'in so level.

Eric:

I have trim tabs and they work, however, after buying the boat and trying everything out, I decided they were not needed. I haven't used them for quite some time & wouldn't swear that they are working as of this date.

This is the boat's attitude at a known 8.4 knots.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Tuesday 25th of January 2011 09:26:41 AM

Attachments

• seahorse.jpg
    seahorse.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 187
Walt,* Beautiful profile- Like the extended awning over the rear deck. Is that a factory option?

JohnP wrote:Is that a factory option?
No, the PO had that done. The angled braces used to run all the way to the bottom of the cockpit hand rail, making it very difficult to go forward on the side deck. Using the same hardware, I just shortened the angle brace and ran the fitting farther up that rail, thus making it much easier to duck your head a little and go foreward.

Attachments

• img_3334.jpg
    img_3334.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 173
SeaHorse II wrote:

No, the PO had that done. The angled braces used to run all the way to the bottom of the cockpit hand rail, making it very difficult to go forward on the side deck. Using the same hardware, I just shortened the angle brace and ran the fitting farther up that rail, thus making it much easier to duck your head a little and go foreward.

Walt:

I don't think that the way you reconfigured it would carry much of a snow load.

dwhatty wrote:

Snow?* What's that?

dwhatty wrote:Walt:

I know it doesn't form much of a triangle but, in fact, it's pretty damn strong!
( I'm more concerned with Sea Gull loads than anything else.)

SeaHorse II wrote:
No, the PO had that done.

I think that''s a well-designed and user-friendly addition to your boat, Walt.* Am I correct in assuming that the overlap is such that rain water/spray coming off the hard cabin top continues to the rear or sides of the extension as opposed to dripping down between the hard top and the extension?

Like Walt, I don't bother much with my trim tabs, although I do work them every weekend just to make sure they don't seize up.

I came up with a collapsible aft cockpit awning far less sleek than Walt's but it covers the whole cockpit (photo attached). PITA to stow and erect so we usually set it up - and leave it up - only for the hottest sunniest months here in Hong Kong. It detracts from the sweet lines of the boat (which Walt's doesn't).

Having grown up on a Halvo, I knew I would like this boat when I saw it in a magazine, but it wasn't until we went to the shipyard in south China and climbed around one that I really fell in love. (Don't tell my wife that!)

Attachments

• mch_7015.jpg
    mch_7015.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 175
Marin wrote:Am I correct in assuming that the overlap is such that rain water/spray coming off the hard cabin top continues to the rear or sides of the extension as opposed to dripping down between the hard top and the extension?
Correct!*
The forward end of the awning is an "extrusion & channel",
attached "at & under" the aft end of the cabin roof, so when the boat is**
compounded & waxed, (Once a year) All I have to do is unsnap the sides, unzip the aft* end and slide the extruded plastic insert out of the channel. (Easier said than done.)

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Wednesday 26th of January 2011 12:10:13 PM

boogiediver wrote:"but it covers the whole cockpit ."
Had I designed the awning, I probably would have done what Mark did, however,
the PO was a fisherman & kept the awning short so as to have room (height) for
setting the hook on big fish and, indeed, it does just that!

Back
Top Bottom