A cool boat in Ocracoke

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timjet

Guru
This boat is tied up next to us at the National Park Service Docks in Ocracoke, N.C. Some info I pulled from the internet:

This USCG boat # 47244 is a MLB (Motor Life Boat) built by Textron in Louisiana and delivered to the CG in 1999. 277 were built for the CG and a few for Egypt and Japan. It is used for patrol and SAR operations. The hull and superstructure are aluminum. It’s designed to withstand hurricane force winds and seas and breaking surf to 18 ft. If capsized it will right itself within 10 sec (how do they do that?).

We noticed it left yesterday morning at day break coming back about 2 hours later. It left again yesterday evening just after dark and came back about 2 ½ hours later. It was operated by a 4 man crew, the guy steering looked to be about 18 yo.

Some specs:
47 feet and 18 tons.
Draft 4 ½ ft
2 DD, 435 hp each
22/25 knots Cruise/Max
200 km range
Employs cruise by wire control system, whatever that is.
In addition to the crew it can hold 30 pax/survivors
Optional deck mount for a M240 machine gun, 7.62mm
Cost: $1.2 mil

Some observations:
Recessed retrieval wells located mid ship 1 ft above the water line, no swim platform needed.
Fenders the entire length of the boat. No more requesting the admiral to positon fenders when docking. My docking skills would go to pot, who cares what you hit, you’re not going to hurt the boat.
Interestingly, no observed anchor. Might make its way loose when traversing that 18’ surf.
No observed deck gun mount. Darn

This boat has somewhat of a colorful history. In 2004 during a SAR mission it was grounded and the Captain ordered abandon ship as the boat was being pushed up against a piling and was heeling badly in bad weather. As the Capt was swimming ashore he noticed one of the engines was running at high speed. He swam back to the boat secured the engine and joined his crewmates on shore. The boat was later retrieved, repaired and returned to service. I believe this occurred near the Ocracoke area.

I posted this because I just think this is the coolest looking boat. I don’t know if it would be practical to modify this boat for recreational use but when they become surplus it would be worth investigating. I don’t know if it has a generator, but it does have high voltage electronics so it may, or perhaps a heavy duty inverter and alternators.

Anybody know what the 4 rod antenna is for in the last pic?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_1397.JPG
    IMG_1397.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_1398.JPG
    IMG_1398.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_1411.JPG
    IMG_1411.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_1404.JPG
    IMG_1404.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 228
That's a radio direction finder Tim. Helps them home in on someone who only has a radio vs DSC or AIS, such as a small boat equipped only with a handheld. Happy Thanksgiving there in one of our favorite Thanksgiving spots of all time!

The boat was designed a specific way for survival in one of its mission categories....unless a recreational boater has similar requirements....as in all boats compromise rules. But this boat is pretty heavily slanted toward one design requirement. Thus the MLB (Motor lifeboat) versus the UTB (Utility boat) designation. Not sure the UTB designation is used any more...but was when the 47 was put into service.

As far as quick righting, the almost empty and buoyant bow along with the float chamber (empty large area on top of transom) allows the boat to power up and out of the capsize to make the righting faster than rolling...more like pivoting.

Not qualified on one, but I believe I was briefed on that's how these were designed to work.

Last edited:
Yes I can see what you're talking about. I was wondering what the area is above the transome.

It's certainly designed to take some rough whether. But does that make in unsuitable for a rec boat?

A bimini on the fly bridge. Remove the float chamber and add a hard top above the sun deck. Plenty of room for entertaining. Get a fake gun and install on the foredeck. Paint the hull a dark blue and the deck white. Imagine the looks and respect you'd get when tying up at the city maina in Ft. Lauderdale.

Last edited:
I see it like transforming a SR-71 Blackbird recreational use....if you like getting somewhere fast, don't mind the fuel bill or maintenance costs, add some homey touches to the cockpit...you are all set!

Just too many compromises to overcome unless all you want to do is LOOK like a fed....:D

I see it like transforming a SR-71 Blackbird recreational use....if you like getting somewhere fast, don't mind the fuel bill or maintenance costs, add some homey touches to the cockpit...you are all set!

Just too many compromises to overcome unless all you want to do is LOOK like a fed....:D

Boy, you sure know how to bust by bubble.:rolleyes:

That reminds me of the Continental Pilot, now United that had a F-104 he would fly at airshows. He had sponsorship's but he put a lot of his own money into it. I wonder if he's still doing it.

Boy, you sure know how to bust by bubble.:rolleyes:

That reminds me of the Continental Pilot, now United that had a F-104 he would fly at airshows. He had sponsorship's but he put a lot of his own money into it. I wonder if he's still doing it.

Just like the F-104, I didn't say don't do it....have all, the fun you want...:thumb:

Just having spent a little time aboard one, comfy cruiser she aint....

The bright side, at sunset with the sun at your bsck...you could stand outside of some anchorages and a spot or two might just upen up unexpectedly....:D

Seems to me that this vessel needs a little work cleaning up the sides....

Perhaps studying that boat will help those looking to buy a tough water "trawler".

Notice that it is not designed to be stable but to recover from a roll over. Not much attention paid to comfort either.

Those boats go where ours should not.

Wow funny to run across this story again regarding the accident in 2004. The 47 was attached to Hatteras at the time and i was stationed at the triple wide trailer that used to be the sister station at Ocracoke before it was condemned by black mold. I will never forget the knock on our station door late that night with 3 of my shipmates standing their soaking wet.. Crazy seeing this again. I was stationed at ocracoke from 2002 to 2006

Perhaps studying that boat will help those looking to buy a tough water "trawler".

Notice that it is not designed to be stable but to recover from a roll over. Not much attention paid to comfort either.

Those boats go where ours should not.

One of the CG lifeboats followed me in to the Beaufort, NC inlet last year. The inlet was fairly rough, with an outgoing tide against a 15 knot SW wind.

I was shocked at how much the CG vessel heeled over when surfing in the following seas. Looked like it was a hand full for the driver.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom