Ceiling Fan RPM's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doc

Guru
I have several ceiling fans in my house. The older cast iron Hunters will blow your hat off your head when they are turned all the way up. My newer Home Depot brand fans can barely be felt at the fastest speed when you are sitting right under them.

What happened to the newer fans? Energy, the Government?

I think it is sort of a planned obsolence. if it went fast it would fly apart

Bet'cha it won't last as long as the old ones.

SD

Price points. Cheap junk from China. Stick with the old fashioned Hunters. Don't be fooled by the "new" Hunter fan co. either. A good one will cost you around $200+

I still don't understand why a cheap one turns slower.

Chinese electricity flows in the opposite direction to American electricity, it may be sucking rather than blowing.
biggrin.gif

Metric RPM's.

I can't believe that my question was about to fall off the page without an answer. So I am going to change the question...

I have several ceiling fans on my trawler. The older cast iron Hunters will blow your hat off your head when they are turned all the way up. My newer Home Depot brand fans can barely be felt at the fastest speed when you are sitting right under them.

Now it is trawler related.

I will pass up the temptation to link ceiling fans in trawlers to Hobbits & or decapitation.

I don't know if this helps but the ceiling fan in my trawler(so as we stay on trawler related issues* ) has a clockwise and anti clockwise switch, depending whether you want the air forced down or drawn up and away. Have you checked your fan? Also my blades have adjustable pitch.

Good luck, and remember to keep a low profile while on the lower helm station.
wink.gif

I'd like to post this to not answer his question in yet another post.

Marin: They run so slow that you can almost count the rpms manually. I have three of these cheap suckers. And, they were already here when I bought the house (trawler, sorry) three years ago.

Shrimp: They are too cheap to have a reverse switch. I know that they are running in the correct direction because I can feel some air...just not nearly as much as the Hunters.

Gonzo: Thank you for your compassionate responses.

Back
Top Bottom