How to clean diamond cut non skid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pgitug

Guru
Vessel Name
Escapade
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37 2002
I just purchased a 2002 trawler that has a lot of diamond cut, gel coat, fiberglass non skid. It has never been compounded or waxed and looks really dull. What is the best method to bring this type of surface back to life?

If it is just dirt between the cracks you could use Simple Green straight up and a stiff brush. I just did that and it work better than a product that was advertised as non-skid cleaner. My results were great.

I have miles of that non-skid and found Starbright non-skid deck cleaner works best out of everything I've tried but it is aggressive and I have mixed feelings on recommending it. I learned the hard way to test any product first, even if it's specifically made for boats. It was either this stuff or Castrol Superclean I used once to wash the whole boat and irreversibly damaged some of my windows and painted surfaces. A common household product like Fantastic will also ruin glass and some paints.

I have miles of that non-skid and found Starbright non-skid deck cleaner works best out of everything I've tried but it is aggressive and I have mixed feelings on recommending it. I learned the hard way to test any product first, even if it's specifically made for boats. It was either this stuff or Castrol Superclean I used once to wash the whole boat and irreversibly damaged some of my windows and painted surfaces. A common household product like Fantastic will also ruin glass and some paints.

I also use the non-skid deck cleaner. It does a good job. Leave it on for a few minutes for the kelation process to work. It supposedly leaves a PTF coating after rinsing. That is supposed to give it some UV protection. Don't know if that works, but it does clean.

If it is just dirt between the cracks you could use Simple Green straight up and a stiff brush. I just did that and it work better than a product that was advertised as non-skid cleaner. My results were great.

I am wanting to get off some oxidation.

I also use the non-skid deck cleaner. It does a good job. Leave it on for a few minutes for the kelation process to work. It supposedly leaves a PTF coating after rinsing. That is supposed to give it some UV protection. Don't know if that works, but it does clean.

I have used starbright deck cleaner in the past. It did do a good job. I forgot about that option.

I am wanting to get off some oxidation.

Be careful about going after oxidation in diamond non-skid. I had oxidation and what appeared to be dirt stains in the grooves between the diamonds. Turned out the "dirt" was a bluish colored fiberglass layer under the gel coat starting to show through. The harder I scrubbed the more oxidized gel coat came off, and the more that under-layer showed through. Planning to seriously scrub it with a fine bristle brass brush this Spring, mask off the diamond areas and spray on new gelcoat. Only a problem on the bow where the sun beat on it for decades. The non-diamond areas are fine (as they were always waxed).

Last edited:
We have a 2002 NT 32+, so probably the same nonskid as your boat. We've been very happy with the Starbright that has already been recomended, followed by a treatment with Woodywax, which seems to do a good job of keeping the nasty stuff from sticking. If you want to compund it, I came across a video on youtube done by boatworks today: Boatworks Today

I can't remember which of the videos specifically addressed the nonskid, but he recommended using compound and a brush attached to an orbital buffer. This one has velcro backing so if you have a makita type buffer with a vecro pad it should work. Haven't tried it yet, but it is on the our todo list. Amazon.com: Chemical Guys ACC201BRUSHC Carpet Brush with Hook and Loop Attachment: Automotive

As for the gelcoat, I can attest that it is really thick on the Nordic Tugs. BTW, love your boat. We keep talking about moving up to a 37/39.

We have a 2002 NT 32+, so probably the same nonskid as your boat. We've been very happy with the Starbright that has already been recomended, followed by a treatment with Woodywax, which seems to do a good job of keeping the nasty stuff from sticking. If you want to compund it, I came across a video on youtube done by boatworks today: Boatworks Today

I can't remember which of the videos specifically addressed the nonskid, but he recommended using compound and a brush attached to an orbital buffer. This one has velcro backing so if you have a makita type buffer with a vecro pad it should work. Haven't tried it yet, but it is on the our todo list. Amazon.com: Chemical Guys ACC201BRUSHC Carpet Brush with Hook and Loop Attachment: Automotive

As for the gelcoat, I can attest that it is really thick on the Nordic Tugs. BTW, love your boat. We keep talking about moving up to a 37/39.

The brush looks like a good way to attack the oxidation. If the deck cleaner does not get it done I will give the brush a try.
We bought the 37 this past June. Sold our 41 hunter. Love the boat. Very well made.

Give "Amazing Roll Off " cleaner a try, it worked wonders on our decks.

Give "Amazing Roll Off " cleaner a try, it worked wonders on our decks.

Roll Off is a great product. I try to keep some on the boat. It is strong, so I use it as a weapon of last resort.

Roll Off is a great product. I try to keep some on the boat. It is strong, so I use it as a weapon of last resort.

Yes it is . I found even the run off from rinsing stripped the wax on my hull.

I've found that a 120 V relatively low output water-blaster/pressure-washer works wonders to clean diamond non skid surfaces. Just be careful how much pressure and how close you hold the wand as well as what ejection setting/attachment is on the wand end.

To shine, after cleaning - you might use the following: How to Wax and Protect Non-Skid Decks | Shurhold

Happy Non-Skid-Deck Daze! - Art :speed boat:

And, Happy Thanksgiving! :D

I've found that a 120 V relatively low output water-blaster/pressure-washer works wonders to clean diamond non skid surfaces. Just be careful how much pressure and how close you hold the wand as well as what ejection setting/attachment is on the wand end.
My experience as well, using a big strong power washer with the pressure dialed down a bit and a relatively gentle spray head. Same setup I use to clean hull, topsides, and my truck.

When out cruising, I run the salt water washdown hose and scrub with a heavy-duty brush head on a Shurhold boat hook handle. Salt and serious scrubbing works pretty well, even for the occasional drips of dirty oil from oil changing.

I don't wax non-skid, thinking it will perform its non-skid duty better - not sure if that's correct.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom