How ofter do live aboard leave the dock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phil Fill

Guru
Vessel Name
Eagle
Vessel Make
Roughwater 58 pilot house
Being a live aboard for 14 years, we are on and use the boat every day, so we tend not to take the big boat away from the dock but we do use the run about and dinks most summer days, and trips are mostly by vehicle and plane.* Seems like every year we leave the dock less and less.

Last year we left the dock 4 times!* 1 time to turn the boat around so we took a 2 hour cruise, 2 times with family/friends for 2 to 4 hour, and 1 time because the marina made us move to another slip for 2 months so we took the boat out for a couple of hours.* So how many times during the year to you leave the dock?* Also do you find the long you have been a live aboard the more or less you leave the dock?

Phil/Fill,** Good Thread!!-** Can't wait for the responses. We are not liveaboards.

******* During the Summer we like to go out for day trips a couple times a week.

******* Longest we have been out on this boat is 4 days.* Past boats up to 3 weeks.

******* Plan is to spend more time on the water this season.** One problem with living
******* so close to the boat is it is too easy to bail out and go to the dirt house for the*
******* night.********

-- Edited by JohnP on Saturday 22nd of January 2011 07:52:13 PM

While we are prepping the boat for cruising, we leave the dock a half a dozen times during the season here on the Chesapeake. Once we begin cruising we are at the dock maybe a dozen times during the course of one year. Chuck

Not a live aboard, but if I were, it would probably be*to follow the sun.* That is move south in the winter and north in the summer.* How many do that?

I guess in some areas it would be to follow the fog.
smile.gif
* Don't want to leave anyone out.

Not a true live aboard.... only summertime!
We've only had our trawler for two full seasons. *We brought her home in 2009 from New Hampshire... it was*great fun and quite an adventure, cruising*down the Atlantic coast, then on to New York and up the Hudson and through the New York Canal system to Lake Ontario. *We arrived at our dock in Wilson New York in mid July. *We spent the rest of the summer on board, but didn't plan any lengthy trips.. *taking her out about once a week for short cruises on the lake.

Last summer we were late launching because of a repair to our keel, so we weren't in the water until June 1st. *We spent almost the whole summer on board, but, you guessed it, most of it at the dock. *We had planned a month long trip on Delia Rosa, but because of a problem with dirty fuel, we decided not to stray very far from home. We did manage to take her out almost every week though.

I am looking forward to this season and exploring more new harbors!

-- Edited by Delia Rosa on Saturday 22nd of January 2011 03:56:50 PM

-- Edited by Delia Rosa on Saturday 22nd of January 2011 04:45:58 PM

We don't live aboard either (so Phil's original post has been effectively hijacked) but we do go up and stay on it almost every weekend year around. Sometimes only for a day, sometimes for both days.

And we try to take the boat out at least once a month year round, if not more often. Because of my work schedule and what seems to be increasingly windy conditions in the PNW (global warming) we have not been able to take the boat out as much the last couple of winters as we have during the previous ten winters. But we're going to step up the effort to get out more. A two or three-day weekend cruise is generally about 3-4 hours each way to some destination in the islands.

We also have been taking a two or three week cruise in September for the past several years, a practice we intend to continue. When and if I'm ever able to retire, we'll start thinking about a couple of three or four month cruises per year.

-- Edited by Marin on Saturday 22nd of January 2011 09:15:52 PM

For most boaters, not just liveaboards, it seems that the larger the boat, the fewer short trips.* I agree - good intentions abound, but the reality is, that especially when you liveaboard, it is generally a PITA to go out for anything but the longer trips.*

I go out for a about a week every month (except Nov-Feb) and at least 6 weeks in the summer.* Work is still getting in the way of any longer stays off the dock.* For the afternoon getaways....I've got a 22ft Pocket Rocket - it's a blast!* 5 min prep and you're sailing.*

All boats are compromises ie. size vs convenience.* The way I figure it - staying on the boat at the dock is still way more enjoyable than being stuck on dirt.

I go for out 8 to 10 weekend trips during the season. Somtimes just short trips to anchor out.* I have a 13' RIB with a 50hp that we use a lot to fish or just go for a ride. From Dec to Mar, we stay in the slip, extra lines and fenders and a christmas tree. I plan to do some week long trips this summer. The Cheseapeke bay has a lot of good short trip places to visit.

We lived aboard for 5 years. We were in that minority that used their boat more when we lived aboard. the neat thing about living aboard and using your boat is you already have everything you need....no need to "pack" for a trip. You just untie the lines and go....your home and everything that constitutes home is on board. I find it funny when you don't live aboard and you are just gonna go overnight for 1 night, somehow you manage to spend about $200 on groceries and you pack all your stuff and it takes 3-5 dock cart loads to get all of your crap on board that you are going to use/consume for the next 24 hours....AND THEN YOU END UP EATING OUT!!!!!! Amazing.
So to reiterate, we just traveled and took our house with us. It was quite convenient!!!

Now we have our boat in my avatar. *We use it quite extensively as well...but mostly on a day trip basis.

-- Edited by Baker on Sunday 23rd of January 2011 02:38:18 PM

Baker wrote:

We lived aboard for 5 years. We were in that minority that used their boat more when we lived aboard. the neat thing about living aboard and using your boat is you already have everything you need....no need to "pack" for a trip. You just untie the lines and go....your home and everything that constitutes home is on board. I find it funny when you don't live aboard and you are just gonna go overnight for 1 night, somehow you manage to spend about $200 on groceries and you pack all your stuff and it takes 3-5 dock cart loads to get all of your crap on board that you are going to use/consume for the next 24 hours....AND THEN YOU END UP EATING OUT!!!!!! Amazing.
So to reiterate, we just traveled and took our house with us. It was quite convenient!!!

Now we have our boat in my avatar. *We use it quite extensively as well...but mostly on a day trip basis.

-- Edited by Baker on Sunday 23rd of January 2011 02:38:18 PM
********* I know exactly what you mean about packing and over planning for an overnite trip.* And then stopping somewhere and eating out!!

********* I thought you would be boatless by now, was not there a possibility of a sale?

There was a possibility but I don't think it is gonna happen. It is not officially terminated, but it likely will be by tomorrow afternoon....

Baker,

Sorry to hear that.* I was thinking you might become a 34t owner*soon.

Live aboard for 9 years and we try to get away every two weeks weather and business permitting. In the winter its a little more difficult as the weather can be brutal.

I have lived aboard for 15 years and over time the short trips have become fewer.
Once I used to go out fishing, over night or for a couple of days every couple of weeks.
Now we seem to head off in the winter for 3 to 5 months and the rest of the year , one trip to the boat yard and possibly 2 to 3 short 1 week trips away.
May be I will pick up my time away with more off work time.
Benn

We lived on the little 34 footer almost all of 2009 while we were house hunting. This included my wife and I in the aft cabin and sister-in-law in the forward cabin. *Very cozy, but then you add in the three dogs (one a hundred + pounder) and it was a little cramped, especially when it was raining.

I found we took the boat out four times that year, and all short trips (less than 6 hours each). *I always found everything I thought was secured loose and in the middle of the boat while underway, so we limited the festivities.

Now that we're on land again, we took the boat out in 2010 about twenty-five times; fishing, sight-seeing or whale watching. I expect to take her out more this year if the weather cooperates!

Mike
Brookings, Oregon

ive only lived aboard for 1 years and have left the dock about 10 times, 4 of wich were to move to a different dock, my reason is I run TowBoatU.S. in rochester so Im out on the water every day and doesnt leave me much time to enjoy the trawler. Hopefully ill do a few trips this year tho.

Phil Fill wrote:

Being a live aboard for 14 years, we are on and use the boat every day, so we tend not to take the big boat away from the dock but we do use the run about and dinks most summer days, and trips are mostly by vehicle and plane.* Seems like every year we leave the dock less and less.

Last year we left the dock 4 times!* 1 time to turn the boat around so we took a 2 hour cruise, 2 times with family/friends for 2 to 4 hour, and 1 time because the marina made us move to another slip for 2 months so we took the boat out for a couple of hours.*
Inquiry*** what is the main reason for not going out more often?* Is it a matter of prep time? Is it the interior or exterior that takes more time to get ready to go out.
Is*your boat now just a*"house" that sits in the water that has become to much of a hassle to take out, or is it still a*boat that you just happen to live on but can't seem to get her out more often?* Is there a way to simplify the "going out" procedure so that you can get out more often?
I had some friends that lived on a 36ft sailboat in Half Moon Bay, with two toddlers and didn't go out for a year. When we went to visit they begged us to stay and help them take the boat out. It took them half the day to get the boat ready, and when we went out it was only for about an hour. They had plans on circumnavigating and wound up selling the boat and getting a divorce.* Pretty ugly situation.* I plan on staying on board for*extensive*periods of time and would like to learn from you guys how to avoid becoming a "dock queen"* (with respect).**So what is it*mostly that keeps you tied up?* KJ

-- Edited by KJ on Wednesday 26th of January 2011 02:29:04 PM

"It took them half the day to get the boat ready, and when we went out it was only for about an hour."

This is the common lament of most liveaboards, the vessel is used as a house , not as a boat.

As a liveaboard I too had to fight the trend.

As a bachelor the boat was sailed much more on days off , and a fall vacation was always easy to bid , and get.

The biggest party was New Years day , when we would go out to wave at all the Marine Motorists , that would be another 4 months to engine start time.

"Inquiry*** what is the main reason for not going out more often?* Is it a matter of prep time? Is it the interior or exterior that takes more time to get ready to go out."

Although we are only "summer" liveaboards, we wanted to make sure that we could take Delia Rosa out as often as possible and with as little fuss as possible.

To that end, *we have a very specific routine that we follow before we leave the dock. We do all the usual things re checking the fluids, instruments, engines, electrics, gearing, thrusters etc... and because we usually let the engines warm up for at least 20 minutes, we have ample time to go through our check list and make the boat ready - including removing the mooring cover on the upper helm, all the window covers on the lower helm and unhooking the electric power to the dock. We always use seven dock lines (2 at the bow, 2 at the stern, 2 spring and 1 breast line) which can take a little time to sort out but at least with our wide side decks I can deal with the lines on my own while Dan continues with his checklist. * We have attached extra fenders to the dock so that now we no longer need to spend time fiddling with them. * All in all, it takes us about 30 minutes from start to finish.

The other big factor is of course the weather. *If it doesn't cooperate, we don't go out. *Our trawler is well built, and we have all the gear that would keep us safe in bad weather, but we bought the trawler to enjoy spending time on her and being out with her in bad weather isn't much fun!

-- Edited by Delia Rosa on Thursday 27th of January 2011 08:47:04 AM

KJ wrote:

Phil Fill wrote:

Last year we left the dock 4 times!* 1 time to turn the boat around so we took a 2 hour cruise, 2 times with family/friends for 2 to 4 hour, and 1 time because the marina made us move to another slip for 2 months so we took the boat out for a couple of hours.*
Inquiry*** what is the main reason for not going out more often?* Is it a matter of prep time? Is it the interior or exterior that takes more time to get ready to go out.
Is*your boat now just a*"house" that sits in the water that has become to much of a hassle to take out, or is it still a*boat that you just happen to live on but can't seem to get her out more often?* Is there a way to simplify the "going out" procedure so that you can get out more often?
I had some friends that lived on a 36ft sailboat in Half Moon Bay, with two toddlers and didn't go out for a year. When we went to visit they begged us to stay and help them take the boat out. It took them half the day to get the boat ready, and when we went out it was only for about an hour. They had plans on circumnavigating and wound up selling the boat and getting a divorce.* Pretty ugly situation.* I plan on staying on board for*extensive*periods of time and would like to learn from you guys how to avoid becoming a "dock queen"* (with respect).**So what is it*mostly that keeps you tied up?* KJ

-- Edited by KJ on Wednesday 26th of January 2011 02:29:04 PM
Actually its a little of all of the above.

We bought the Eagle to be a dock condo down town Seattle as my wife worked down town, I was going through a transition, planned to take the boat out only for few events, and NO plans to be a live a board.* We bought it as it was big, great price but most of all my wife wanted it.* I was not very happy with her choice at the time.

But we still had the 19 ft run about and the 28 ft Rienell to play with.* We been boating for 30+ years around the PNW, Puget Sound, San Juan Island and Canadian Islands so we been there done that sever time.* So unless it was a special event and/or we have guests, we stayed tied to the dock.* If its just Debe and me, we do the same thing we usually do tied to the dock.* *

The boating season in the PNW is from May through September.* Most years July though September, and most week ends are taken up and our vacations are to visit family.* From July through August we have grandchildren which require being on land before the drive us crazy.* During the summer months we have the 19 ft run, the 12 ft Livingston, the 12 ft sailing/rowing dink, which we take out and use most days. For fishing, crabbing, water sport, and running around the Eagle is too big, and its easier to take the smaller boats.

To get the Eagle ready to leave the dock usually before the exterior has to be wash to get the bird poop and dirt off so guest do not get dirty, the interior need to be pick up/stowed, vacuum and dust/polished, which takes 4 to 6 hours.* Then of course when we get back to the dock have to unpack/stow stuff which takes about 2 hours.

As we are getting older the Eagle is getting to be a little to big for me to single hand, my wife will take the helm when it on auto pilot, and docking she stands on the front deck telling me what to do.* Lately I find cruising is boring/stressful and in a couple of hour have had enough and ready head back to the dock.* Most of our family, friends and neighbors have their own boat, and trying to match schedules is almost impossible.

Lastly I like to varnish/paint, maintain the Eagle as she is the first on the dock and seen/viewed.* I also like to take the*run about, and dinks as they are tied off the bow and stern and the motor*cycle is outside the*gate.*The Eagle is a great live aboard and was design as a long range capable cruising, which we are not quite there yet. When we do the Eagle will be the mother ship to carry/tow all the stuff to the next anchorage/dock.* 14 years is a long time to be a live aboard, and we been talking about being dirt people again at least part of the year.

Great info. Have you thought about trading down to a smaller, less time consuming trawler?*** KJ

When we retire hopefully in 3 years, we plan on heading north to Canada and Alaska for a couple of years and then maybe down the coast to warmer climate.*We are not planning on retire in the PNW as its to cold, cloud and damp and the US cost of living and medical is to darn high.*Also having lived on a boat we do not have very many processions, do not require to many creature comforts and/or that much space.* i don't think we could or want to live in a dirt*condo/house as they*have to much space.* ***

When we move off the Eagle we would probable sell the Eagle and keep the 19 ft run about for local lakes and Puget Sound.* Until the Eagle is sold I will probable moor it back on LakeUnion which is fresh water and has a better chance of selling.*Also take it to major boating events like Trawler Fest, and boat shows around Puget Sound.*

Until then we will remain*a dock queen and proud of it! **

Sounds like a pretty good plan to me, especially the part about moving south to a warmer climate.* These old bones don't like the cold anymore.

I have only been living aboard for a year, so since this is still all new to me perhaps I have more motivation for it. But I have taken mine out at least twice a month since I bought it a year ago. I just go out for a few hours at a time though. Having most everything inside secured down or just not in a position to fall or shift around helps. Since mine is only 30ft and some people drive past our marina ignoring the slow wake signs, she tends to move around a lot so nothing gets left out.

When I decide to go it only takes me about 20 min to be ready to leave the dock, and most of that is while to motor is warming up.

Hopefully I will continue using her on a regular basis and eventually get to taking some long trips.

We have belonged to the Roche Harbor Yacht Club since we bought our 38' tolly in about 2000. It is a reasonably priced cruising club with no clubhouse, several outstations and a "cruise" every month.
Makes a great excuse to take the boat out. We've made most of them
check them/us out at www.rhyc.org

Old Stone wrote:
Since answering over a year ago, things have changed a bit with our plans to relocate to the Keys in the fall. Because of that, the anal part of me (that would be the larger part of me) will be taking runs every day this summer to (hopefully) shake out anything that could go wrong..........I know, it will anyhow............So the only real modification to be done, since most the the interior renovations are finished, is to Velcro the bottom of everything that moves. I love my dragons and cars and boat models and crap around (below), so won't have to think about them before casting off. I also am moving one slip over to the head slip, where I will have only one side to tie. Much easier to leave and return from, and gives the marina the ablilty to put two boats between fingers in my old space.

From the pics, as you can see, I am the boy who never grew up!
*Carl, is that an XK120 roadster? *Did you own a 120? *I owned a coupe. *If you love working on cars, they are the car for you. *Between Girling and Lucas I was kept quite busy.

Attachments

• jaguar_xk_120_coupe_1948real.jpg
    jaguar_xk_120_coupe_1948real.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 248
Moonstruck wrote:Old Stone wrote:
Since answering over a year ago, things have changed a bit with our plans to relocate to the Keys in the fall. Because of that, the anal part of me (that would be the larger part of me) will be taking runs every day this summer to (hopefully) shake out anything that could go wrong..........I know, it will anyhow............So the only real modification to be done, since most the the interior renovations are finished, is to Velcro the bottom of everything that moves. I love my dragons and cars and boat models and crap around (below), so won't have to think about them before casting off. I also am moving one slip over to the head slip, where I will have only one side to tie. Much easier to leave and return from, and gives the marina the ablilty to put two boats between fingers in my old space.

From the pics, as you can see, I am the boy who never grew up!
*Carl, is that an XK120 roadster? *Did you own a 120? *I owned a coupe. *If you love working on cars, they are the car for you. *Between Girling and Lucas I was kept quite busy.

Ah! I will always remember with such great fondness
no.gif
adjusting the valves on my 3.8S, outdoors, in the wintertime, in Boston, and dropping a camshaft timing chain bolt down into the innards of the beast. Not to mention those bloody tappet spacers.

superdiver wrote:
It seems a common thread, that the longer you live aboard the less you take the boat out for enjoyment (not counting just moving from area to area...)? From what I have read here and from talking to others in our area on the subject at least...
*Carl, you ask a very tough question. *I would love to have either. *The E Type was such a fluid design with a modern suspension. *I would probably like to try one. *It was also a lot more civilized. *When I was dating my late wife, she would get headaches from the Abarth exhausts noise. *I rellished it, but have much deminished hearing today. *Couple that with being around construction equipment for over 40 years, and the ears have taken a beating.

Old Stone wrote:For you two only though - Which would you rather have right now - an XKE roadster, or the 120 - 150 series? The XKE was one of the most thrilling rides you could experience, but the older series was sooooooooo elegant! All previous Jag owners may step in on this one. No Fiat owners allowed!
Tough question here too. Unfortunately, at 6'4" I have trouble fitting in those cars (or at least that's my recollection as I haven't been invited to sit in one for at least 40 years). Interesting though that I had no trouble driving an AH Sprite that I had back in the 60's.

I actually think the Jag I would like to have right now, that I know I could fit in, would be a early 60's MK II sedan. Always liked the lines of those cars.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom